Should death penalty be imposed for corruption?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Anonymous, Jul 2, 2011.

?

Should Death Penalty be imposed for corruption?

1. Yes - Death Penalty should be imposed

43.8%
  2. No- Death penalty should not be imposed

56.3%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

Seeing the increasing trend of corruption among government and private sectors in the countries should death penalty be imposed for corruption? Please respond with reasons not just yes and no justifying your stance.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

I voted yes. Death penalty should be imposed for corruption as it not only hinders work but also national growth. Today corruption is rampant in India from a traffic light constable, or getting a mere empty form from a government office to major corporation and it has started creeping in our defense industry too. The middle age and low class people are the ones who face the major grunt in case of corruption. Due to corruption tenders are passed to third class or less quality people who build weak infrastructure which thus hampers growth of country.

These days the police are so corrupt that earning money is the main reason why people are joining local police force which thus threatens the security for the state and people.

4. AirforcePilot

AirforcePilot Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

I don't believe in the death penalty for corruption. I think a 20 year prison sentence would be a sufficient deterrent.

5. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Drastic problems call for drastic solutions.

6. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

I would vote-NO..simply becoz if that's the case then majority of Govt employees in various states across various spectrum of public sector would more or less qualify for capital punishment .

Instead moral conduct/ethics should be the yardstick along with requisite qualifications/seniority when considering a candidate for a new job.I think India is going through a transitional stage in tackling corruption as calls of extreme measures of death warrant is uncalled for.Health of conduct should be corrected in the root level itself.Look at our policing system..and the model of their conduct is despising and lowers at times to inhumane levelsespecially against people belonging to lower socio-economic population.Bribery is a parallel revenue assured when the 3rdparties take bribes from the potential candidates for new jobs in popular public sectors like policing,Govt Public transportation to water authority.We may have to bribe our hangman to hang all in time promptly .

pmaitra likes this.
  7. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

First of all, it is great to see you after along time Mr. Ram.

Secondly, I fully endorse what you have written. Very well said and the last line is the icing on the cake.

8. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

Thnx Mr Maitra.Nice to see you here as well.

9. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I believe it should be defined per the context. Death Penalty for all forms of corruption would be impractical as Ram pointed out. However, severe cases such as facilitating spurious drugs and other acts of despicable behavious that directly lead to deaths of peopple must be punished in the strictest possible manner. Prolonged solitary confinement would be an attractive option.

Remember, unlike ideologically bainwashed terrorrists, most corrupt are spineless gutless cowards. They do not have the mental or physical fortitude to face prolonged rigorous imprisonment or the prospect of death.

That said it all boils down to us as a society. The corrupt did not descend fom heavens or were imported from elsewhere nor are they extraterrestrial beings who rode in on a meteorite. They come from this very society. Unless the society reforms itself, corruption will always be there.

LurkerBaba and Anonymous like this.
  10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Death penalty is not the solution. We are not China. Look at china, in spite of having death penalty for corruption, they have wide spread corruption. The CPC members have also stashed up wealth abroad.

11. mattster

mattster Respected Member Senior Member

LOL........Do you guys realize what applying the death penalty means - almost every IAS officer and MLA will have to be executed and what about all those Chief Ministers.

India will be left with 20% of its political class. People on this forum get pissed at me, when I tell them the uncomfortable truth that its not just people who are corrupt......its the culture. Indian culture accepts corruption the way a duck takes to water.

At every level of society, its endemic. To change India's culture of corruption - you need to slowly change the value-system, and that lack of ethics in Indian culture

Indian culture has this schizophrenic quality, or some may call it a dichotomy, where the individual is nurtured within the family system, but the same values that nurture the family unit do not nurture the civic or ethical sensitivities of the individual and his responsibilities towards the community and fellow man.

No Lokpal or even death penalty will solve this. Currently the fastest way to get rich anywhere in most of Asia excluding Singapore and Japan is to become a politician. This is true in all corrupt countries. Many politicians only enter politics because they can get really rich and powerful fast.

This in turn becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the really honest individuals will avoid politics since they dont want to be part of that crowd.

maomao likes this.
  12. Yusuf

Completely agree with you Matt! It is a fact and we cannot run away from it. Its a systemic problem. Right from getting birth certificate to death, bribes big or small are demanded or offered and paid.

13. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

Death for corruption means what for murder?

14. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

The corrupt person fears for his life and is the first grade greedy human being but I think DEATH PENALTY is to be awarded on a case to case basis.
    Death Penalty for corruption of food for poor people or on arms contract that kill jawans.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

Exactly and that's what I'm hoping for. We get rid of all the rotten disease that is corrupting the society and start afresh with young people who are not more prone to corruption. You don't let a gangrene infected body part grow do you? The only mean possible is to cut it off. Ofcourse the death penalty should be introduced as case per case basis but even low corruption cases should carry maximum jail sentences.

It's not the Indian culture but the corrupt politicians and officials have made it easy for people to generate an opinion such as yours.

This is agree with. I have witnessed it with my own eyes and it's high time people should start changing themselves.

16. Yusuf

You break a traffic signal, cop catches you and says you will be fined 500.00 for this offense. What do you do?

Dont just blame politicians. At every stage there is corruption. It is prevalent in private business too. A supplier who wants to sell to an industry can give a cut to the purchase manager to secure order. It is very common. He wants to get his payment released from accounts section, he will offer some money and get his job done.

Don't blame politicians alone. They are part of the society. We are the people, and we are the ones who become politicians.

17. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

About time we imposed this damn thing. We need to kill off a few government servants who're corrupt so that it becomes an incentive apart form basic ethical grooming for the incoming new generation to realize that working for the greater goal (national interest) will reward them in the long run.

Death sentences are important in a country like India where we people don't listen to the word called "please" anywhere. But it is important that this should be used wisely and righteously. Not misused to kill off innocents.

If this is applied, almost all political leadership in the entire country would be executed. That would be heavenly, making room for future generation of dedicated Indians. :lol:

18. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

If this death penalty is imposed most of the people in India will be hanged, the common man right from the Auto-walla to the Common man is corrupt, we all deal with black money when we buy a flat or a car.

So i voted Yes! :D