Should Burkhas be banned in India to meet security challenges ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by A.V., Oct 21, 2011.

?

Should Burkhas be banned in India to meet security challenges?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    79.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Not Sure

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. A.V.

A.V. New Member

If not pan india , they in sensitive areas , whats your take ?

Please be warned of ban incase of disrespect on this thread.

3. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Yes, It should be banned immediately. It's medieval period culture and also threat for security. Terrorist groups like IM, Simi, LeT, etc. can take advantage.

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Yes, they are neither consistent with our culture nor our times.

While travelling from Satna to Katni by road, we almost hit a woman who was crossing the road and had her ghoonghat all across her face and down to her chest. She did not see our Sumo speeding towards her from a small bulge on the road. Our driver braked and veered and the Sumo almost turned turtle.

Ghoongats should also be banned.

Other than that, if menfolk are allowed to show their faces, womenfolk should also be allowed. No double standards here.

5. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

I voted yes...but I know they will not be banned....

Better move on people.

6. pmaitra

You have not voted, I am sure. ;)

7. Galaxy

Well, Topic is about security challenges and not any tradition which doesn't make any difference.

These days, we hardly see any Ghoongats also it's nothing related with security too. One can't hide Bomb inside ghoonghat which is not the case with Burkha.

You can see Burkha everywhere including metros.
    ========================================

To Everyone Kindly stick with the topic -- [h=2]Should Burkhas be banned in India to meet security challenges ?[/h]

8. Galaxy

Voted YES. :thumb:

9. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

If they are banned how will popular personalities escape from the eyes of the people, media (and police) ?

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Speaking purely from the security point of view, covering of the face, be it with a bandana, burkha or a scarf (as scooterists tend to do) is a danger.

So is loose flowing clothes since a weapon can be hidden below these clothes and one does not know if a weapon is below them, since they are free flowing and formless. For instance, the pheran in Kashmir, where they not only can hide weapons below it without the weapons being detected, but because the hands are kept inside (the sleeves flap loosely like a person's sleeve who has no arms) they can just point at anyone and shoot without the person being shot at realising!

However, if the freeflowing clothes are not one long one covering the whole body, it would not be so dangerous since the hands would be above the waist, thus lungis, sarongs, sarees, slawar kameez and frocks would not be such a threat to security.

A.V. and pmaitra like this.
  11. pmaitra

A speeding vehicle tumbling over in a bid to save a woman who cannot see the road and crossing it, is, Sir, a life threatening situation.

Death can come from a bomb explosion as well as a car accident. I want to be safe and secure when travelling and since the topic is about 'security,' sure, let us stick to the topic, shall we?

Besides, keep in mind, the guy who killed Ahmad Shah Masood has a bomb in his turban. It is not very difficult to hide a grenade inside a woman's hair-bun, is it? So yes, I am going to club the ghoonghat with the burqa. One who disagrees will only betray the real intentions behind such a proposal.

A.V. likes this.
  12. Galaxy

Still Topic is different. Even someone can hide small weapon inside the clothes also. These are rare incident but Burkha is extremely danger as it covers whole body. It looks odd also when one sees 1-2 such ladies out of 100. Sometime, it creates doubts also. I never heard anyone hiding bomb inside turban. We should focus on broad risk and not minor one which are very rare.

Even many countries banned Burkha recently.

13. pmaitra

I could have put it differently, but I did not phrase it well. I would second what Ray Sir said.

In addition to what I have already said, when I am talking to someone, I want to see his/her face and their expressions and not a piece of cloth. There is a lot of trust that can be built when talking to a person whose face is visible.

14. Galaxy

Absolutely, I do agree with you. But hardly anyone uses Ghoonghat these days even very less in Rajasthan. Even mostly in their home and not outside.

As per driving is concerned, it's happens due to pollution.

Burkha is very common even today. I live in Delhi and here I see Burkha all the time. Almost 50% Muslim women wears Burkhas that also in Delhi. Sometime, It creates doubts.

Burkha shouts in favour of inequality and ghettoization. We should live as single society.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  15. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

No Not at all absolutely no need for foolish measures

I would say that we need more lady police men frisking all ladies in Burkhas

On the contrary if we put more lady police ( where there are none ) for frisking , then the LADY terrorists
    would definitely stop wearing burkhas

We must remember that Male terrorists are CLEAN shaven wear jeans and T shirts and try very hard
    NOT to arouse suspicion

If the sole objective for wearing a burkha is to facilitate a terror strike
    then I think it is bad idea because FIRST rule of terrorists is to be inconspicuous and blend in AND not stand
    out like a sore thumb

16. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

what's with all this ??? joined any intel service ?

17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I would be uncomfortable if banning of Burkha was for reasons of inequality or societal reasons.

One could enumerate many reasons still prevalent in India which promote, and even encourages, gender inequality. But that deserves a different thread.

On the ghoonghat I have have a different take. In villages in many parts of India, especially in the northern part and upto Bihar in the East, ghoongat is prevalent. The length of it covering the front depends on the family traditions. Also, covering the head and even some parts of the face with a dopatta is not uncommon.

The question is not merely frisking of women by lady police so as to eliminate female terrorists.

In a crowded market place, or at a hospital or a public place, any female well covered with a one piece loose clothing, well before she comes to the frisking point can either detonate herself or start shooting with an automatic which could still covered under the one piece loose fitting dress. A terrorist is not there to kill a specific person or persons (if a terrorist were to do so, he would be an assassin and not a terrorist). A terrorist is there to kill anyone and more kills the better and so even unaimed fire can get the terrorists enough of kills to spread panic and mayhem and create a fear psychosis in the nation.

Terrorist always dress and act in a manner so as to not arouse suspicion.

Wearing a burkha does not arouse suspicion at all. Many Muslim women, including fashionable ones (you know that because of their highly fashionable manicure and expensive rings, even if they have their full face cover), wear Burkhas and I daresay they arouse suspicion amongst anyone.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  18. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Not true.

I live in delhi also.

Dovah and Singh like this.
  19. Galaxy

Burkha is not only reason of inequality. But it is one of the many reason. Isn't it look odd/alien when someone sees Burkha in our society ?? Security threats comes later eventually and also uncommon things create divided society.

As far as Ghoonghat, It may still exist in villages but there is no Bomb blast. In last 20 years, How many bomb blast occurred in villages ? NIL. It happens in important cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Pune, etc. due to quick attention. As Bomb blast not only happens due to killing but Attention, Popularity and Symbolic threat is created for Pan-India.

Even in Villages, Ghoonghat is rare thing. But that is Village. who uses Ghoonghat in Cities like Delhi or Mumbai ? I hardly see such things whereas 50% Muslim women wears Burkha. Most of the important places where Blast happens like Shopping Mall, Zaveri Bazar, Temples in Ahmedabad or Varansi, Sarjoni Nagar market in Delhi - No one uses ghoonghat or Dopatta but you can find large number of Burkhas among Muslims.

We are comparing as per Security and Burkhas are visible all the time.

20. Galaxy

It is True.

I also live in delhi.

You might be living where Muslim population are very less. In 80% Delhi areas - Muslim populations are very less (below 5%). They are mostly concentrated in specific area in Delhi. Go and Visit places like Okhala, Old Delhi like Jama Maszid or north-east like Dilshad Garden, Silampur, etc. 50% wears Burkha.

21. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

That is because they stand out. It doesn't mean 50% women wear them.

More like 15% women wear them and that too in there own neighborhood, specifically in old delhi and nizamuddin.

Dovah, Singh and pmaitra like this.