Shooting incident at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, USA

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
While Americans by their Constitution are authorised to hold firearms, but must they hold automatic weapons to include those which the Army uses?

I have nothing to say on their rights to hold weapons, but maybe weapons of what could be termed as 'mass destruction' (in a manner of speaking) should be controlled?

Americans always state that they are very family oriented and wear 'being a family man' as a badge of honour, and so should Americans allow their family to be decimated at such frequent intervals by psychos who are taking advantage of the Constitution right to hold firearms?

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
While Americans by their Constitution are authorised to hold firearms, but must they hold automatic weapons to include those which the Army uses?

I have nothing to say on their rights to hold weapons, but maybe weapons of what could be termed as 'mass destruction' (in a manner of speaking) should be controlled?

Americans always state that they are very family oriented and wear 'being a family man' as a badge of honour, and so should Americans allow their family to be decimated at such frequent intervals by psychos who are taking advantage of the Constitution right to hold firearms?
When politicians speak of gun control at a time like this, what is meant is confiscation. The probability of confiscating millions of guns is remote, so after the usual posturing is achieved, nothing will be done.

average american

When politicians speak of gun control at a time like this, what is meant is confiscation. The probability of confiscating millions of guns is remote, so after the usual posturing is achieved, nothing will be done.

Just some limitations on assult riffiles, and the size of the magaizines, background checks, not too much to ask as far as I am concerned,, i have a CWP in Florida, we had some laws like this under the Clinton Administration an they expired.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Just some limitations on assult riffiles, and the size of the magaizines, background checks, not too much to ask as far as I am concerned,, i have a CWP in Florida, we had some laws like this under the Clinton Administration an they expired.

The "Assault Weapons" ban expired in 2006 (?).

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Last edited:

pmaitra

AK-47 has been reported by Russians to penetrate a foot of concrete?
I have shot plenty of Tula Armoury (among others) made AKM rounds at the Shooting Range. None of them ever made any dent more than a quarter of an inch deep in concrete, from what I could estimate at the distance of 75 feet.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The right to bear arms in American Constitution I think is a throw back to the ear when AMerica was still largely expanding and wildlife often directly interacts with humans and American law enforcement agencies cannot cover all places all the time so people were allowed to carry muskets or swords. But weapons now are different, they're many times more powerful and deadly. So I think the interpretation should be updated to adopt to changed times and should mean to include only at most handguns for purely defensive purposes/capabilities.

Country flag
Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I have shot plenty of Tula Armoury (among others) made AKM rounds at the Shooting Range. None of them ever made any dent more than a quarter of an inch deep in concrete, from what I could estimate at the distance of 75 feet.
It's the 7.62x39 round.
Youtube video description below:
The 7.62x39 AK47 round is powerful enough to knock down or pass thru barriers. The bullets I used in this video are 124 grain FMJ Tula ammo. The concrete block was at least 3 inches thick.
Another fun video:

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Mass shootings are actually bad for gun control advocates - Salon.com

The tragic mass killings at that Connecticut school will undoubtedly spur renewed calls for gun control. According to one criminologist, that would be a welcome but somewhat ironic development, since mass school shootings seldom provide compelling evidence in favor of more restrictions on weapons.

The scholarly journal American Behavioral Scientist devoted two issues in 2009 to the 10th anniversary of the Columbine High School mass killings and what, if anything, we have learned from them. Gary Kleck, professor of criminology and criminal justice at Florida State University, contributed an essay in which he called mass school shootings "the worst possible case for gun control."

Here's his reasoning:

The following are important attributes of the "typical" school mass shooting, if one can speak of a typical scenario for such infrequent events. First, the crimes are premeditated. The killers plan the murders, and how they will carry them out, for days or weeks in advance, and sometimes even longer. This means they possess a persistent ongoing desire to acquire the tools of murder, not a transient short-term desire. Gun control measures that merely delay gun acquisition, such as waiting periods, are therefore irrelevant, as are those that merely place minor obstacles in a gun buyer's way.

Second, the guns used in the shootings typically either already belonged to the shooters prior to their formulation of an intent to carry out a mass murder or were acquired by theft. Only the shooters at Columbine used guns obtained at gun shows, and even this was purely incidental—the killers could have legally acquired the same guns at gun stores. Restrictions on gun shows are therefore irrelevant, both to Columbine and other mass school shootings.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Idiotic reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Written by the NRA.

Just take the case of the latest US school shooting, do you think it would have happened had the mother of the assailant not have an AR15 semi-automatic rifle in her house (where the deranged son lives)? And if that semi-automatic rifle is banned do you think the deranged killer in this case would have easily laid his hands on that kind of weapon? Of course there will always be the black market but it would certainly be harder to acquire semi-automatic weapons than having it freely available in gun stores.

Had the killer of the children in this case only been armed with hand guns the death toll would have been smaller.

pmaitra

Idiotic reasoning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Written by the NRA.

Just take the case of the latest US school shooting, do you think it would have happened had the mother of the assailant not have an AR15 semi-automatic rifle in her house (where the deranged son lives)? And if that semi-automatic rifle is banned do you think the deranged killer in this case would have easily laid his hands on that kind of weapon? Of course there will always be the black market but it would certainly be harder to acquire semi-automatic weapons than having it freely available in gun stores.

Had the killer of the children in this case only been armed with hand guns the death toll would have been smaller.
The deranged son could have rammed a truck full of gasoline tanks into the school and set it alight. If someone wants to kill, he will find the means. What about the numerous rapes happening in India? What about that Punjab cop who was shot dead protecting his daughter? If all civilians had guns, many criminals would be dead already.

It's always two way bud! [well, let me add some extra exclamation marks for dramatization] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The deranged son could have rammed a truck full of gasoline tanks into the school and set it alight. If someone wants to kill, he will find the means. What about the numerous rapes happening in India? What about that Punjab cop who was shot dead protecting his daughter? If all civilians had guns, many criminals would be dead already.

It's always two way bud! [well, let me add some extra exclamation marks for dramatization] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By having over the counter guns, has the rapes gone less in the US?

Or say, murders?

If so, a gun in every corner is justified.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles