Shoddy, counterfeit goods in 40% China online deals: report

I_PLAY_BAD

Only 58.7 percent of items in online trades were genuine or of good quality last year, a report delivered to Chinese lawmakers on Monday said.

In 2014, commerce authorities across the country received 77,800 complaints concerning online orders, a staggering increase of 356.6 percent, according to a report on the implementation of the Law on the Protection of the Rights and Interests of Consumers.

The report, heard at a plenary meeting of the NPC Standing Committee presided over by top legislator Zhang Dejiang, urged tightened management on online trade.

While turnover of the country's online retail increased by 40 percent annually to 2.8 trillion yuan (442 billion U.S. dollars) last year, the manufacture and sale of shoddy or counterfeit goods has become a key concern in the sector, the report cited the Ministry of Commerce as saying.

The report urged accelerated legislation in e-commerce, improved supervision and clarification of consumers' rights and sellers' responsibilities.

Lawmakers also heard a report from the Supreme People's Court revealing that courts are now accepting more administrative lawsuits thanks to a revised law that enables citizens to sue the government more easily, among other reasons.

Also at the meeting, Cao Jianming, president of the Supreme People's Procuratorate outlined a campaign targeting convicts with money or power that are seeking commutation, parole or non-prison sentences illegally.

According to Cao, more than 88,800 cases where criminals were illegally released on probation, served their sentence outside of prison or have had jail terms commuted improperly were rectified between 2010 and August this year.

A report on the implementation of the Agricultural Law called for strengthened protection of rural resources and environment, a bigger role for technology and greater poverty relief effort.

Also on Monday, a series of reports were delivered at a chairpersons' meeting of the 12th Standing Committee of the NPC, concerning various topics such as a draft amendment to the Seed Law, reform on market entry and registration for medical products and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) agreement.

http://www.china.org.cn/business/2015-11/03/content_36961501.htm

@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @alphacentury @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @Bangalorean @Blackwater @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @hit&run @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @maomao @Mad Indian @OneGrimPilgrim @Peter @pmaitra @Razor @raja696 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @Screambowl @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @Sylex21 @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @thethinker @VIP @Vishwarupa @VIP @Varahamihira @roma @amoy @no smoking

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I am not sure if I can contribute to this thread but my input is that I am a very reluctant online shopper. I was rather phobic a year ago. Recently I have shopped original vertical battery grip for my Sony alpha 77 DSLR and original battery for the same. I remained unsettled for all those days when my goods were in transit. Luckily both the articles were original and saved me 300 dollars. Before I have shopped 64GB SanDisc class 10 UHS-1 extreme pro SD card from Amazon which again was a good deal and original product was sent to me.

Couple of times I have been to Alibaba website but like ebay this website has never given me good vibes. Reading reviews can help and running few checks on vendors (trust pilot etc.) should be done all the time when putting your credit card online.

Thanks

venkat

Very good topic. Recently i read that chinese fire crackers, smuggled through containers are causing immense loss to fire works manufacturers in sivakasi in TN , to the tune of Rs2000 crores and rendered thousands of poor people jobless!!! There are no original brands like SONY,HP selling in India. All are made in china and dumped in Indian markets. earlier there were many cell charger makers and now most of them turned into sellers selling cheap quality chinese electronic goods unable to meet the price. China sells good quality items in EU and US markets and dumps shoddy and rejected items in India through online shopping outlets, street hawkers and China bazaars. If we see China Bazaars,its easy to make out that indian small and medium industry is in dire straits leaving thousands of Indians jobless and indian customers ending up with cheap quality goods especially electrical goods like fans, ACs etc... Govt should impose heavy taxes on Chinese goods and discourage china Bazaars or force them to sell compulsorily Indian made goods,which we have been buying for many years.

amoy

seriously online trade aka ecommerce is killing conventional retail, most visibly of books and electrical appliances.

often enough consumers check home appliances and electronics on display offline at physical outlets then order on line (at a discount)for (free) door delivery.

normally big promotions / events are made around 11/11 particularly or every holiday /festival Christmas New Year alike to boost online sales each year.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

Dovahkiin

seriously online trade aka ecommerce is killing conventional retail, most visibly of books and electrical appliances.
lol no no e-commerce is not killing anyone, it has helped our markets to evolve. it has heavily brought down the monopoly and has opened great opportunity for traders and start ups.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Very good topic. Recently i read that chinese fire crackers, smuggled through containers are causing immense loss to fire works manufacturers in sivakasi in TN , to the tune of Rs2000 crores and rendered thousands of poor people jobless!!! There are no original brands like SONY,HP selling in India. All are made in china and dumped in Indian markets. earlier there were many cell charger makers and now most of them turned into sellers selling cheap quality chinese electronic goods unable to meet the price. China sells good quality items in EU and US markets and dumps shoddy and rejected items in India through online shopping outlets, street hawkers and China bazaars. If we see China Bazaars,its easy to make out that indian small and medium industry is in dire straits leaving thousands of Indians jobless and indian customers ending up with cheap quality goods especially electrical goods like fans, ACs etc... Govt should impose heavy taxes on Chinese goods and discourage china Bazaars or force them to sell compulsorily Indian made goods,which we have been buying for many years.
China dumps cheap products on people, who want to buy cheap products. It is better than paying more money for bad quality Indian products.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned

amoy

lol no no e-commerce is not killing anyone, it has helped our markets to evolve. it has heavily brought down the monopoly and has opened great opportunity for traders and start ups.
quite contrary to your unusually idealist hurray ~ bringing down monopoly , what I see is there're fewer players than before both online and offline, at least in sectors of book n e-appliances mentioned. only those who're able to get financed either by private equity or public listing, and grow an economy of scale survive and thrive.

Last edited:

amoy

China dumps cheap products on people, who want to buy cheap products. It is better than paying more money for bad quality Indian products.
indian cliche as usual, to stereotype Chinese goods as cheap and shoddy.

indian quality ? where is it? since most Indian posters are overseas u can speak for what items Indian or Chinese are available in the world outside of India [emoji1]

when products are being made massively unit cost is lowered. what matters is productivity and economy of scale.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
indian cliche as usual, to stereotype Chinese goods as cheap and shoddy.

indian quality ? where is it? since most Indian posters are overseas u can speak for what items Indian or Chinese are available in the world outside of India [emoji1]

when products are being made massively unit cost is lowered. what matters is productivity and economy of scale.

Well there are cheap and shoddy Chinese goods even in Europe and hence the cliche exists even here.

But people also know that China can also produce good quality stuff. You get what you pay-I don't blame China for that. Buyers should be careful when they buy cheap products.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles