Sharp weapons (or other sharp things) can't be shown to the world

Minghegy

This is an old Chinese proverb said by Laozi in 2500 years ago: 国之利器不可示人, it means "the sharp weapon (or other sharp things) can't be shown to the world".

The Chinese are still following this proverb strictly, if China accomplishes some high-tech weapons, keep in secret until the last moment, or doesn't show it at all until the real war. We get used to this manner.

By contrast, some countries laud their weapons even in the advanced research phase, to be honest I was shocked by their manner at the first time.

This is a big cultural difference in defense domain, what do you make of it?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One openly displays weapons to ensure the world knows what they have so that none messes around.

Nothing remains a secret in the long run!

One keeps operational concepts a secret as long as they can since the employment of a weapon is more important than the weapon itself.

It also wastes money and effort of the nation hunting to know of the operational concepts and employment and keeps them agonisingly guessing and lowering their morale!!

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Not necessarily. I see several Chinese newspapers praise their accomplishments in the materials-physical, electronics and space domain, which has offsets in the defense industry. I'll PM you a mail, with a link to another thread, if you wish. It seems to have caught on in China, as well. And I can assure you, much of our 'lauding of weapons' is 'media speculation', with *highly-placed, trusted and indebted* sources in the defense sector, not official government chit-chat. We have a free media, and they, quite unfortunately, sometimes, take their freedom to the hilt.

Oracle

China keeps most of it's weapons program secret, because of the nature of their developments - also read as reverse engineering. Only when those are fully re-engineered, does China come up with theories claiming to build them from the scratch. India, OTOH even showcases it's failures and owns them up. Whatever, Indian scientists could do after sanctions they did. We have the LCA after decades, but barring some technology we did come up with that indigenously.

Minghegy

One openly displays weapons to ensure the world knows what they have so that none messes around.

Nothing remains a secret in the long run!

One keeps operational concepts a secret as long as they can since the employment of a weapon is more important than the weapon itself.

It also wastes money and effort of the nation hunting to know of the operational concepts and employment and keeps them agonisingly guessing and lowering their morale!!
Transparency, the popular word, but your notion makes me feel that the national security is under insecure.

Not necessarily. I see several Chinese newspapers praise their accomplishments in the materials-physical, electronics and space domain, which has offsets in the defense industry. I'll PM you a mail, with a link to another thread, if you wish. It seems to have caught on in China, as well. And I can assure you, much of our 'lauding of weapons' is 'media speculation', with *highly-placed, trusted and indebted* sources in the defense sector, not official government chit-chat. We have a free media, and they, quite unfortunately, sometimes, take their freedom to the hilt.
Neither one of your examples can be classified as "sharp weapon".

Rage

DFI TEAM
Transparency, the popular word, but your notion makes me feel that the national security is under insecure.

Neither one of your examples can be classified as "sharp weapon".
What do you call a 'sharp weapon' in India?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is only the secure who can invite all to see!

The insecure only hides!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Would you consider these 'sharp weapons' ?

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-03/02/content_22031616.htm
http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jmr/jmr101201_2_n.shtml
http://story.chinanationalnews.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/9366300fc9319e9b/id/749723/cs/1/

You may have a point. Certainly, the Indian media does a lot more 'publicity' for its weapons than China's, but a lot of it is in lay-man's terms, that reveals no technical information or details on the project, whatsoever. Where it happens, it is often speculation, and often based on third-party, *credible sources. That also leads to, and allows for effective disinformation.

Minghegy

Would you consider these 'sharp weapons' ?

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2011-03/02/content_22031616.htm
http://www.janes.com/news/defence/jmr/jmr101201_2_n.shtml
http://story.chinanationalnews.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/9366300fc9319e9b/id/749723/cs/1/

You may have a point. Certainly, the Indian media does a lot more 'publicity' for its weapons than China's, but a lot of it is in lay-man's terms, that reveals no technical information or details on the project, whatsoever. Where it happens, it is often speculation, and often based on third-party, *credible sources. That also leads to, and allows for effective disinformation.
No, all the three are ordinary things. In short, "sharp things" only can be made by one or two country.
Maybe India has real sharp things but hasn't revealed it at all, but I doubt this conjecture.

lurker

No, all the three are ordinary things. In short, "sharp things" only can be made by one or two country.
Maybe India has real sharp things but hasn't revealed it at all, but I doubt this conjecture.
by 'sharp' do you mean technologically advanced weapons such as lasers/ plasma/ mech suits, Drones etc?

What do you mean exactly, can you define it?

If you do mean what i stated then China is certainly making no secret of its push for weaponized laser, drone, and space technology, even though they do not have a current mature capability for them.

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Disclosing arsenal serves as a good deterrent. Non-disclosure gives the enemy the advantage of uncertainity, allowing him to take bold steps. It is for this reason that the US military not only discloses its weapon systems that are in service, but also opens them up to the media to make shows on. Watch the countless shows on Discovery Channel where US endlessly wanks about its arsenal.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Give me 3 examples of what you mean by 'sharp' and I'll tell you, with reliable conjecture, whether India is working on them or not.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Sharp weapons? Let's see ... 1. broken bottles? 2. sharpened wooden spikes? 3. jagged metal pieces? We have plenty in India - What China does not have them? I though after all the trash they import from USA (largest US export to China), China should have plenty of all three!:becky::becky::becky:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles