Sexual consent sessions were a waste of time

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Came across this new and stupid Oxbridge fad: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

A student who caused a furore when he spoke out against sexual consent workshops fears for his academic future after a fierce campus backlash.

George Lawlor, 19, claims he has been driven out of lectures and bars at Warwick University by feminist campaigners who shout "rapist" wherever he goes.

An article published online last month, titled Why I don't need consent lessons, went viral after he said most people "don't have to be taught not to be a rapist".

Mr Lawlor posed with a sign saying "this is not what a rapist looks like" and said the invite to "consent workshops" was "the biggest insult" he had received in years.

He argued that men inclined to commit rape would be unlikely to attend such a session and that organisers thought they had "saved the world" by making people attend them.

But he has now revealed that the reaction became so brutal that he stopped going to lectures.

The second year student said he had been attacked on Twitter and Facebook by student activists branding him a "rapist" and "misogynist".

Mr Lawlor, who studies politics and sociology, said he feared the furore would affect his academic work and his future career.

"I was expecting a reaction, but I was not prepared for just how horrible it was," he told the Daily Mail.

"I remember putting it online and told a few people, who were … saying there would be a backlash.'

"The bus to university was the worst. I heard people talking to each other saying, 'I really want to hit that kid'. It got really nasty.

"There was one guy messaging me on Facebook for over a week, calling me names like racist, rapist. I've stopped going to lectures and seminars because of the perceived threat."

Mr Lawlor also said he was driven out of a bar in Leamington after some students overheard his friend mention his name.

He published his blog post, on student news website The Tab, after being invited to an I Heart Consent workshop via Facebook.

The sessions are being rolled out across the country with the aim of decreasing the number of assaults and enabling students to talk openly about consent.

Oxford and Cambridge have scheduled them into freshers' timetables and other universities are running voluntary workshops.

Mr Lawlor added: "When you search my name all you find is my name next to the word 'rapist'.

"If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer you don't want to risk having this sort of reputation... so there's a fear that stops people talking freely."

[​IMG]
    George Lawlor claims he has been driven out of lectures and bars at Warwick University

Apparently, Warwick University also has special prayer halls for muslims, I am not surprised that leftists have deep control in UK politics. Coming back to debate above, the best argument by this guy- He argued that men inclined to commit rape would be unlikely to attend such a session and that organisers thought they had "saved the world" by making people attend them.

DingDong likes this.
  3. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

The original article: http://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2015/10/14/dont-need-consent-lessons-9925

They're full of people pointing out the obvious, thinking they've saved the world
    Ah, the special feeling you get when logging into Facebook and find someone thinks you’re cool enough to invite to their event. Is it a house party? Is it a social? All the possibilities race through your mind. Then it hits you. You tap the red notification and find you’ve been summoned to this year’s “I Heart Consent Training Sessions”. Your crushing disappointment quickly melts away and is overcome by anger.

Let me explain, I love consent. Of course people should only interact with mutual agreement, but I still found this invitation loathsome. Like any self-respecting individual would, I found this to be a massive, painful, bitchy slap in the face. To be invited to such a waste of time was the biggest insult I’ve received in a good few years. It implies I have an insufficient understanding of what does and does not constitute consent and that’s incredibly hurtful. I can’t stress that enough.

I feel as if I’m taking the “wrong” side here, but someone has to say it – I don’t have to be taught to not be a rapist. That much comes naturally to me, as I am sure it does to the overwhelming majority of people you and I know. Brand me a bigot, a misogynist, a rape apologist, I don’t care. I stand by that.

I already know what is and what isn’t consent. I also know about those more nuanced situations where consent isn’t immediately obvious as any decent, empathetic human being does. Yes means yes, no means no. It’s really that simple. You’d think Russell Group university students would get that much, but apparently the consent teachers don’t have as high a regard for their peers as I do.

[​IMG]
    Do I really look like a rapist?

I’m not denying there have been tragic cases of rape and abuse on campuses in the past, but do you really think the kind of people who lacks empathy, respect and human decency to the point where they’d violate someone’s body is really going to turn up to a consent lesson on a university campus? They won’t. The only people who’ll turn up will be people who (surprise, surprise) already know when it’s okay to shag someone. No new information will be taught or learned. It will just be an echo chamber of people pointing out the obvious and others nodding along, thinking the whole time thinking that they’ve saved the world.

I want to call the people leading the charge behind these classes admirable, I want to call them heroic, but I’m afraid they’re not. There are countless other more useful things they could be doing with their time. They could be making a difference by actually going out and campaigning, volunteering and caring for other people. Instead they selfishly make themselves feel better by indulging in the delusion that all that’s needed to save the vulnerable from foul predators is to point out the blindingly obvious.

Self-appointed teachers of consent: get off your fucking high horse. I don’t need your help to understand basic human interaction. Secondly, go and do something. Real people need your help and they deserve better than you. Next time you consider inviting me or anyone else to another bullshit event like this, have a little respect for the intelligence and decency of your peers. You might find that’s a more effective solution than accusing them of being vile rapists-in-waiting who can only be taught otherwise by a smug, righteous, self-congratulatory intervention.

4. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

[​IMG]

What exactly does a RAPIST look like? I am curious.

5. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

It's funny how these developed societies have evolved khap panchayats of feminists and leftists. They drown every different ideological position by social boycott of the individual involved.

6. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

:lol:

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

This type of funny BS peddled by brits:

One of the funny comments:

But lets say I offer a girl a cup of tea. She accepts, and she loves it. She even takes two cups, three cups! She can't stop pouring my tea down her throat. She can't control herself, and it's all good. She even says I should make tea for her more often. The next day she has a stomach ache, because of all the tea she drank. So she regrets drinking all that tea...then It's my fault right?

Mad Indian and DingDong like this.
  8. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Yeah well comparing to India , that's what an average rapist looks like

DingDong likes this.