Sexist remark by coal minister upsets Congress

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by iNDiAN.96, Oct 2, 2012.

1. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

New Delhi: Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal on Tuesday apologised for his inappropriate remarks against women. He said, "I was quoted out of context. However, if anyone has been offended, I apologise."

"I gave the comments on India's recent victory over Pakistan in the World T20. I told the organisers to stop the Kavi Sammelan and begin once the celebrations are over as after a victory gets old, there is no fun," he said.

"The context of my statement should not be twisted…there won’t be any complaint if the statement is seen in proper context," Jaiswal added.

Addressing a cultural event on Monday in Kanpur, Jaiswal had said, “New win and new marriage is more fun. As marriage gets older, old wife doesn't give that much fun."

Angry over his statements, women in Kanpur today burnt Jaiswal's effigies and blackened his posters.

Taking cognizance of it, National Commission for Women (NCW) said the minister must apologise for his remarks. "The statement is very unfortunate. We will write a letter to Prime Minister and high command…we demand his apology," said NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma.

The Bharatiya Janata Party also took the opportunity to attack the Congress leader. BJP leader Nirmala Sitharaman slammed Jaiswal saying, "We can judge the standard of Congress on the basis of these utterances, how low can they go."

The BJP even demanded the coal minister's resignation.

Congress had also asked the minister to clarify his comments.

Sources: Sexist remark by coal minister upsets Congress; Sriprakash Jaiswal says he was quoted 'out of context' | NDTV.com
    Coal Minister Jaiswal says 'old wife remark quoted out of context'; apologises - daily.bhaskar.com

maomao likes this.
  3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

LoL. Pehli bar kuch sahi bola aur usme bhi le liya....:lol:

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

He said as the years go by marriage loses its charm as the first night.

Now, is he really wrong?

5. KSP

KSP Regular Member

He must be a very disappointed man :rofl: