Sexist Article, IAS officer sends legal notice

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rashna, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Rashna

Rashna Senior Member Senior Member

IAS Officer Smita Sabharwal Sends Legal Notice To Outlook For Sexist Article Calling Her 'Eye Candy'

HuffPost India | By Adrija Bose
    Posted: 01/07/2015 15:42 IST Updated: 01/07/2015 15:43 IST
    [​IMG]
    'No Boring Babu'said the IAS officer made "a fashion statement with her lovely saris and serves as eye candy at meetings."

Sabharwal had secured the all-India 4th rank in the Union Public Service Commission exams.

The writer reportedly spoke to “leading party politicians” who “admitted” that Sabharwal served as “eye candy at meetings”. But now Outlook has some major damage control to do.

The five page legal notice has been sent to editor-in-chief Krishna Prasad and Hyderabad-based assistant editor Madhavi Tata asking the magazine for a detailed apology. The magazine has been given a 15-day period to act, failing which Sabharwal has threatened to file a criminal and civil suit against it.

The notice alleged that Outlook has "deliberately played mischief by implying that Sabarwal's portfolio was a mystery.”

"Sabarwal's hard work, dedication and her excellence at her chosen profession are washed away by the mere fact of her being an attractive, young and successful woman who has also accomplished quite a lot professionally, owing to her dedication and perseverance,” says the notice.

The notice says that the Sabharwal was "extremely disturbed" by the article.

The IAS officer, however, has scored major points with women on social media for taking a stand against everyday sexism at the workplace.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/07/01/smita-sabharwal-ias-outlo_n_7695330.html

The article was accompanied by this cartoon.
    [​IMG]

jackprince likes this.
  3. Rashna

Wonderful progress made by "Outlook".... the legal notice should serve as a good wake up call to them.

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

As offensive as this might sound, calling someone an eye-candy should be tolerated in lieu of freedom of speech. Eye-candy is often used as a figurative term.

In any event, let's see where this leads to.

I expect another skirmish between @Rashna and @Mad Indian.

5. Rashna

It didn't stop at calling her "eye-candy", the inference it makes is that she is only "eye-candy", which is objectionable... You can phrase it nicely and not get in to sexist arena... If they wanted to criticize her they could have done it plain and simple instead of using this lingo.
    When you are writing about someone in their official capacity remarks about their person are uncalled for.

SANITY and Vishwarupa like this.
  6. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Holy shit she looks beautiful. She is an eye candy:tongue2:. But since she made it to IAS, she must have brains too.

And from the way I she it, she must be a drama queen too, considering she has needlessly publicised this non issue.

7. Mad Indian

Everyday sexism in workplace:bplease:

And I cant believe you guys are sticking up for this Feminist :bs:

8. Mad Indian

This was the response to the issue in the Outlook magazine in the original article , which has now been taken down due to some drama queens in SM. These hypocrites dont even have the balls to stand up to what they have written and have to make somersaults on how their article was a satire and how they have taken it down due to offending sensibilities. And **** you for writing free speech without any sense of irony in the same piece you have taken down

These morons prove that the divide between right and left is very thin and how true political horseshoe theory is . The left wants to ban stuff which it considers offensive and the right wants to ban stuff which it considers inappropriate. Both should kill themselves and let the normal non-trigger happy people alone :rolleyes:

9. Rashna

It doesn't make any sense.... If all they can see is her looks its their fault not hers... and they have no business calling her eye candy and imply that's all there is to her..Protecting oneself from slander is not being a drama queen... least you can do is appreciate her resolve to teach outlook a lesson. Free speech does not mean writing irresponsible articles on people in important posts. This is why they had to retract and take it down.... Round 1 goes to Ms. Sabharwal.....:hippo:

SANITY likes this.
  10. Mad Indian

Honest psychiatric opinion - you are dumb - get some help.

She is eye candy does not mean she is only that. Any normal person with a functioning brain would understand that much.

11. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

She IS "eye candy" (appreciative, positive statement). She is ALSO brainy and intelligent (another appreciative positive statement).

My kind of lady. Beauty with brains. :yey:

12. Mad Indian

You sure about that? She is also an attention seeking harpy

13. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Not that I approve of either side's claims, but I think Outlook deserves a good legal screwing at taxpayers' expense.

14. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

We also should not ignore her IPS husband.

Pretty sure there is other side to this story. There would be no smoke without fire.

Outlook should have clarified the article as satire in the first place.

15. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

There's no excuse for us to get into her private life, as long as she hasn't misappropriated our money. I don't care about this either way, but incidents like these present great and rare opportunities to screw presstitutes and cut them to size. It must be seized by Telangana Govt. They could keep TV9 (the biggest Telugu TV channel) off the air for a year. Surely they can inflict similar financial damage on Outlook using proxies (such as Telangana Print News Distributors Association), just like the used MSO Association proxies to block TV9 and ABN-AJ.

16. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Hey, one can't have it all. :lol:

Mad Indian likes this.
  17. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

I have no opinion on TV9 and ABN, I don't watch Telugu and Hindi channels.

But I am pretty sure, an IAS officer's conduct is not always about money. An officer's conduct is always under scrutiny. There is a reason why we don't find any photos of IAS officers in private life. Once an officer's private life gets on page 3, there is bound to be scrutiny.

I am trying to be as neutral as possible on this issue.

18. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

I have read of her. I think she is currently working at Telengana. She is apparently a very hardworking officer and one of the most upcoming honest officers.

sob likes this.
  19. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

:lol: No such thing as a chick with brains bro :rofl:

Ancient Indian likes this.
  20. Brood Father

Brood Father Regular Member

Morally he is wrong and sexist ..you can't say any girl eye candy or sexy in public forum ..this is as outrageous as saying nigger ....
    But it should not be made as a legal issue as it would supress free speech

21. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Far worse have been said about many others who happened to be men. No one made a drama out of it.

The biggest sexists are those that claim to fight against sexism. I will prove it now:

Feminists and women's rights activists were offended by this:
    upload_2015-7-2_20-9-28.jpeg

Yet, they made no effort to be offended by this:
    upload_2015-7-2_20-10-2.jpeg