Sex for Teens: The Right Age to teach Sex-education in India?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Rage, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Sex for Teens: A Debate on the Right Age to teach Child Sex-education in India

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Rage

Aw shucks! I thought we'd start a nice debate over this.

Anyway, here goes: I think 12 is too young to be legalizing 'non-penetrative sex' <what the heck is that anyway, blowjobs?>. We're still a conservative society, and although some social norms may be changing fast, there should not be a concerted effort to change those even faster.

There are some states that even balk at the thought of regularizing pre-teen school sex-education in public schools. How then, can we talk about a draft bill that allows consensual sex between pre-teens? Without contraception? Without the knowledge of proper methods of pregnancy prevention? And what happens then, abortion? I don't want kids going around in my country, having kids when they're 13 or 14. Let society evolve the way it may, without trying to push it over the precipice.

I'd like to quote Tyler Durden on this : :D

"F%ck off with your sofa units and string green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may."

4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

There is no answer to the question.

5. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Kids nowadays get 'matured' physically earlier than before. And they're exposed to various 'sources' anyway. If they're not "guided" onto the "proper" track, they certainly "probe" their way (that's how we fared adolescence ?)

In Junior High School we had a course "Biology". But teachers simply skipped the last few chapters and asked for self "perusal". "Biology" wasn't compulsory for Senior High School entrance exams (at that time and even today?).

Better early than sorry.

IMO at least to start that @ 15, roughly the 2nd year of Junior High School, of course in China's context (8_8)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Ohimlaya, same thoughts in india too. We never had any of it in biology class, neither any questions in exams on it.
    Yes kids are growing up faster. TV is the biggest source today along with internet, we didn't have all that back then. Not me at least. Cable TV had just come in and not much of IT on it.
    There was talk of sex education classes in my school at school level. But that fell through back then. Don't know whats the status now.

7. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Well it really depends on what is going to be taught in the sex-ed classes I think.

Given the cases of child abuse and molestation-in many cases by close relatives, some sort of education regarding inappropiate touching and what to do if smeone is doing it to the child should be imparted from KG or grade 1 early on.

Then you have things related to menses and body changes that probably should come in in pre-teens and early teens. But abstention and discouragin sex before marraige for late teens should be part of the main features of any sex-ed info sessions. As a conservative society, handing out condoms to year 10 students is not feasible nor desirable as is done in some countries in the west. It won't work here.

8. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

i think what can be done is make sex education classes optional which will keep the conservative lot away and even if one kid wants to take the class, the class goes on. the way the society is evolving things cant just be left at kids are smart and they will learn themselves!

oh and i thought that biology class thing was only happening in my school though we had a brother coming over who did a few workshops with us on whole range of things and amongst the few things he did there were a few sex related discussions, the physical/hormonal changes a body goes through and we also had a video on child birth.

9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I get this bangalore mirror and every day there is this sex talk column where people ask various questions. Its unbelievable what people in their 20s even late 20s ask. Complete ignorance. As stupid as will masturbation cause exhaustion of sperms?
    Sex education is a must but not as a separate class but may be involved as a topic in the syllabus. That would mean no hassles of the anti brigade. We are only running away from reality and creating more problems if we don't take this issue. I agree with ejaz as well about talking to kids as well in making them recognize what is a good and bad touch. 12 years is when all the hormones start to kick in and boys are all excited. I don't think its a bad idea to start at basic level then. Many boys start masturbating even at that age. That would mean middle school 6th or 7th grade.

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Sex education without titillation would be a good education in schools since parents are too hesitant to explain the issues involved.

It is necessary or else their will be misconceptions.

It is like when the country came to know of AIDS. We used to be terrified to even shake hands with a person who had AIDS. There was intense discrimination in every field of interaction, including giving a job.

However, with education, over the years, the stigma has nearly been contained and it is not such a scare to shake hands or even sitting with the man with AIDS.

11. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Before teens the Adults need lessons..
    Suppression of a sexes is common in our country, ( EXCLUDING METROPOLITAN )..

Results are in two forms:

1. Confused people ( BOTH SEXES ) abt right or wrong when interacted at latter age, resulted in Confusion, anger and depression (These people are not qualified for parenting )..

2. Sick minded people..

I have seen such cases in North India & East India..

Unless these people are educated, No school would teach such things..

12. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

13. Rage

We can certainly do that through the media. But we can't do that through education <in the strict traditional sense, it implies>.

The point is to reform the education system: so that the next generation is spared the same plight.

But the question is, what age do we begin? And then is legalizing non-penetrative sex at 12 the answer? How do we confront negative stereotypes in a conservative society? And, this ties in, to your earlier comment about parents. How do we get them to not oppose sex-education at whatever age we decide to pick? How do the school boards react to this? Do children in state-run schools get the same standard as private-run schools? And what about the depth of curriculum? We have children going to college, experimenting for the first time and getting pregnant. How do we avoid that? Unwanted pregnancies, I mean.

14. Rage

^^ LoLz. I knew something like that was coming.

15. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

@Rage,
    This is a serious problem, Its a truth that our Society of Today is Confused between the old Ideas ( Mostly the radical ways are prospered throughout the century ) and the morden way of life, To free them with such things we need to implement Sex Education through not only Educational systems but LAW and Media as u suggested, High lighting the problems created by practicing such Ideas is First priority Via Media and forbid them by LAW, Erasing such Ideas so that Future wont suffer like we do is in the hands of Educational System..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  16. Rage

^^ Kunal bhai, please don't call me sir. Bahut ajib sa lagta hai, yaar.

Those are good suggestions. If I understand you correctly, you are in favor of: i) a legal; and ii) an educational approach to the issue. The problem is though, because education is a federal jurisdiction, the states are left to make-up their own minds on what age they want to implement sex-education. That may lead to disparate ages in sex-education and curriculum.

The Centre can only do so much on this issue. In fact, this attempt at introducing this law, may actually be seen in that light. By sanctioning 'non-penetrative sex' at 12, this may be an attempt to set an age-limit at which sex-education begins.

The media can certainly play a positive role. And it has. As Brig. Ray said, the stigma towards AIDS has been considerably reduced. Punjab has also achieved much success with its late-night population-control programming. Perhaps that can be implemented in other states, but again this is a state prerogative.