Setalvad in soup, relief for Modi

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by S.A.T.A, Dec 4, 2010.

1. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Setalvad in soup, relief for Modi

December 04, 2010

Rathin Das | Ahmedabad

File criminal case against Teesta: Court

A designated Sessions Judge has ordered that criminal complaints be filed against those who were involved in fabricating affidavits regarding the 2002 post Godhra riots. The court order will cover Mumbai-based social activist Teesta Setalvad, whose NGO Citizens for Justice and Peace (CJP) was in the forefront of trumpeting charges against Narendra Modi.

Designated Sessions Judge SH Vora, while rejecting an application filed by Teesta’s one-time associate Rais Khan on Friday, ordered the Registrar of City Civil and Sessions Court to make a complaint against him and others for perjury and fabricating false evidence.

In the application filed in the local court under Section 311 CrPC last month, Rais Khan, former field coordinator of CJP, had claimed that fabricated affidavits were filed in the Naroda Gram massacre case and submitted in the court to examine him as witness. (Section 311 of CrPC empowers the court to examine any person as witness to arrive at a just decision in the case.)

Rais Khan had alleged that it was Teesta who had prepared the fabricated affidavits and his role was limited to getting them signed and notarised before submission to the courts and probe panels. The Additional Sessions Judge on Friday rejected the application of Rais Khan but ordered that complaints be filed against those responsible for fabricating the affidavits of the witnesses.

Coming as it did just a day after the Supreme Court reprimanding Teesta for having approached the United Nations forum on human rights about the Gujarat riots, Friday’s order by the local court comes as a big jolt for the activist who had been spearheading the campaign against Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

The Registrar has been asked to file the complaint under Sections 193, 194, 195, 196, 199 and 200 of the Indian Penal Code, all relating to perjury and fabrication of evidence with intent to procure conviction of others. The operative part of designated Sessions Judge Vora’s order said that complaints be filed against all those who participated in the fabrication of affidavits.

Rais Khan moved the application in the court following an important witness Nanoomiya Malik testifying in the trial court that Rais was responsible for filing the false affidavits on behalf of survivors and witnesses. Rais Khan, who was removed from the CJP in January 2008, refuted Nanoomiya’s allegations and squarely blamed Teesta for fabrication of the affidavits.

In his application, Rais Khan had demanded that action should be taken against Teesta Setalvad for misleading various courts and probe agencies by filing fabricated affidavits on behalf of 2002 riot victims and survivors.

In another application filed before Nanavati Commission probing the Godhra train fire and the subsequent riots, Rais Khan had expressed apprehension that such false affidavits prepared by Teesta with ulterior motive can lead to prosecution of innocent persons in the ongoing trials of the post-Godhra riot cases.

3. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

India Today last year or maybe earlier this year had highlighted the series of fake affidavits and fake witnesses created by this lady. Surprisingly the media has been silent on this and has been conducting their own one sided witch hunt.
    Rule breakers from both sides of the spectrum should be brought to justice.

4. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. abirbec04

abirbec04 Regular Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

What is very interesting is how do the people have the SIT report, when it is supposed to be in a sealed envelope deposited with the Supreme Court?

7. kuku

kuku Respected Member

Every time the riots come up i feel damn sad, i remember being stuck during the times of Ayodya riots with my mom in a market there was a sudden stampede due to some rumours of a riot, it was damn scary, one of the reasons i developed an allergy for all things religious.

I hope the courts solve these affairs, these reminders of the barbarians living amongst us.

8. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

My experience is that a document is first prepared and sealed inn a cover. Second, surely more than one person helped in preparing it. Third, the report has not been leaked in full, only a major operative part. Not a tall order.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  9. Ray

Nothing could be more scary that being in a riot since one is helpless to resist. Those who have been in such a situation will understand the horrors. I was in one of them in Lucknow, while on leave! It was one of the usual Moharrum mobs with shooting and wild chaps.

It is equally worrisome and even chilling for those who are sent to control such a mob.

How to control the frenzy?

How to ensure that people - the bystanders who are running away and those of the mob - are not killed by the action taken to bring the riot under control so that more are not killed because of inaction?

Take action and there will be no end to Inquiries and Commissions and harassment.

Then there are the NGOs, some of which are genuine in their concern and most, funded by various vested interests, including global donors (and who knows, maybe, foreign intelligence agencies aiming to destabilise the country) to add to the murky waters.

Therefore, somewhere along the line, the reality gets airbrushed!

The losers are the Nation and the common man!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  10. Ray

It is obvious that any Inquiry will have members who are enquiring and assisted by an administrative staff.

Those who are involved all have signed the Official Secrets Act.

They also have a conscience and should have the moral upbringing (which I presume is still prevalent in Indian families) to not betray the faith reposed in them.

Should they fail to live up to the morality expected of them, there are procedures where such individuals can be ferreted out and shown the door forever, apart from being shut up in jail.

It is not that this is the only instance of a 'leak'. It is becoming too regular a phenomenon.

ON the other hand, if leaks are commonplace, then why not have an open inquiry and the country briefed daily? Why the charade?

I don't know this woman and so I cannot comment on her motivation to stoke the fire.

As was said in the TimesNow Debate held at the Calcutta Club and which was aired on the channel, many of so called civil rights activists are publicity hunters and self seekers. Some are funded by vested interests and some funded by foreign sources and the motives are not too hard to seek.

In the connection of NGOs and foreign aid, there is this book, "NGOs, ACTIVISTS AND FOREIGN FUNDS, ANTI-NATION INDUSTRY" edited by Radha Rajan and Krishen Kak, I am sure a person of your ilk, would find it interesting a read!

11. Ray

rcscwc,

I have lost interest in the Gujarat riot.

It has become hoary with the political aspects overriding the real issue of people killed and why.

It is now only politics. The common man's woe has been damned.

And the common man transgress the religious, community, caste divide.

I am talking of the Indian, shorn of that Indian's dividing baggage.

12. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Whatever lofty purpose the promoters of CJP intended it to serve,its clear Teesta Setalvad's CJP is embarked on entirely different agenda.Teesta coercing witnesses to file false affidavits,duplicating affidavits,speculating on the integrity of court order or court appointed investigation officials,writing to United Nations seeking help with Gujarat riots(indicating her lack of faith in India's homegrown institutions ability to render justice) all indicate her purpose is anything but ensuring justice for the victims of the Gujarat riots.Teesta Setalvad and her organization increasingly appears to be a front for political vested interests who are unwilling or too cowardly to openly associate or carryout such a blatant anti national,communally biased inquisition.

13. Ray

While I sympathise with all victims, across the board, of the Riots, yet, at the same time, some of the activists make me uncomfortable because, what to me, appears a trifle put on (a charade) for unknown reasons.

Harsh Mander, for instance.

He has dropped the 'Singh' from his name. Sikhs are normally very proud of their background and religion. They, in fact, take pride in being Sikh. Therefore, Mander is an interesting case where he hide his identity. Of course, it is his choice, but then it is extraordinary for one to not be proud of what he is!!

Because of his 'conscience', Mander quit the IAS and joined ActionAid (a foreign NGO).

The coincidence of immediately getting the job on resigning and that too in a foreign NGO ActionAid is too good to be true. Foreign agencies don't employ in a perfunctory manner. They investigate the total background and record of prowes to deliver.

Did he negotiate before resigning? If so, it is not an act of 'conscience'.

If he did not negotiate, he must be a super chap, where all and sundry went head over heels to employ him immediately as soon as he was bitten by his 'conscience'!! Does appear a trifle contrived! Maybe Ravi Inder Singh leaked information to MNCs because of his conscience too; and thus, is has unjustly been taken into custody!

No sir, these NGOs are too sugary and too good to be true. Mahatma Gandhis they portray themselves, but Chidambaram's veiled remarks indeed say much that does not meet the eye.

I wonder if anyone works merely to do social service without gains!

Global Witness was accused of spying in Angola. Of course, it is another issue that the western media blamed the country's President, Jose Eduardo dos Santos, as a person known to take a hard line with foreign activists who question the activities of the oil and diamond companies.

Therefore, I am very sceptic about these NGOs and activists and their activities.

Same is the case with the Maoist sympathisers like Swami Agniwhatever and Gootam Nawalakha, Veryvera Rao and such fellows.

Beware of the Greek who bear Gifts!

Notwithstanding, the truth of the Gujarat riots must be known and the guilty punished.

But will the truth ever be known?

Will politics allow that to happen?

14. kuku

kuku Respected Member

The next great tragedy is that our legal system is absolutely incapable of handling such issues, dying under the mountain of increasing mountain of work while people involved die of old age.

The police force is absolutely incapable of enforcing law and order, their numbers are too low, they are poorly equipped, their ranks are filled with corruption and they have been turned into lapdogs of the political establishment, when the basic aim should be to keep a large degree of independence.

The political establishment uses all the divides in India to get the votes, impartiality from the modern day raja-maharaja we elect into power is not possible when they come into power with such polarised mandate, and we the people play along with it all.

The effort required to make our nation into less of a shitehole is immense, has to be done though, cant pass this shitehole to our future generations, hope can be found in the slow improvement there is, atleast it seems consistent.

15. Ray

Yes it is my moral duty to know the truth.

But will the corrupt Govt State and Centre let us know the truth?

Do you have any suggestions as to how a common citizen can know the truth when the Govts (both) will ensure nothing worthwhile comes out?

It is not only the secular, pseudo secular, who are at fault, it is also the Parivar, the BJP and the so called nationalists who all are obfuscating.

In this murky maze, logic prompts me to wonder if a CM could organise a riot personally. Such a thought is equally ridiculous!

But then some did and both sides are to blame!

If there was no Godhra, then there would be no riots.

If there was no Mazjid demolition, there would be no Godra and if there were no Godhra, then there would be no riots!

That is the logic since there is no concrete facts that I have to prove otherwise.

And behind all this mayhem, the political parties (all of them as it appears) were hand in glove and Pakistan played its role to fan the fire.

16. Ray

OK since you are such a knowall of the real truth, do be kind to educate.

Of course, with links please.

17. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Threads a re not locked without reason. If you have genuine points bring it up with the links as Ray Sir has asked. If you have any problem with any moderation , pm to the staff. DFI is as transparent as it can get in the running of the forum.

18. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

From my point of view NGO's can be used in two ways
    a)Peoples uplifment and I know some NGO's which are doing great work at the micro level

b)You can use NGO's to screw individuals and corporates.They are good for muddying and stalling others if you want to grab something

19. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Teesta Setalvad is a lying, cheating crook like her fellow media persons Barkha Dutt, Rajdeep Sardesai, Pranoy Roy, Vikram Chandra, Suzanna, Arundhati Roy, Medha Patkar etc. Creating chaos and controversy is how these viruses feed in our society. Covering the truth and adding their own mix of impurities into the hearts and minds of people is how these people survive. This cheap fraud woman got owned by our community and when she had no answers, she ran away from the interview stating "misbehaviour" as a reason.

Finally all liars are coming to the fore-front one by one.

20. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

India is becoming sh!ttier day by day its a country where there are more NGOs than poor where so called and self appointed, virtuous journalists have no resemblance of neutrality in their job so WTF is happening.
    Modi was charged now he's cleared why can't they STFU Barkha and their company need a ***** to enjoy kindly contribute DFI members we need to gift them these asap.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  21. Ray

I wasn’t going to reply since I do not think it warrants one as I don’t find much substance in your post. Nevertheless, but to keep you in good cheer, I will have a shy.

That is the million dollar issue.

Lost interest means it no longer holds my attention. It has gone the way as many other important cases. There apparently is no hurry to resolve it one way or the other. Aren't you interested in knowing the end result and how long is your patience going to hang along for the truth to erupt, especially when one knows how the system works.

Really? How? Become a Maoist? Or go and break every bus that I see?

Since you know all and have the solution pat for everything, I asked you if you had anything up your sleeve to recommend, beyond being an anti social and an anti national.

Unfortunately, even my kabadiwala does not preserve newspaper that ancient.
    What the media is saying? I thought you were the national conscience keeper hawk eyed on the SIT case and knew all. So, why ask me? You tell us.

Seek and ye shall find. Parivar is used in a generic manner. There are a plethora of organisations under this banner. It is not only the right wing, but also those who claim all directions in the lexicon, be it Left, Centre, NW or whatever - they are obfuscating or throwing off scent the main issue, by bringing in subsidiary issues that could be handled after the main issue was resolved! Even those issues are purposely being marred by obfuscation and the irrelevant.

Are you sure of what you wrote???????

Read carefully what you wrote. I wondered if the CM could be personally organise a riot, meaning that it is stretching imagination too fertile. And, it appears that you are of the opinion that Modi indeed organised the riots personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is man bites dog!!

Are you sure that Modi personally organised it? If so, you could do more than I could. Go and give witness of the events that makes you feel that Modi personally organised the riots!!

The answer to that is in this phrase – Ehyeh asher ehyeh.

History books record that World War I started when the nations went to war to avenge the assassination of the Archduke Francis Ferdinand, the heir to the Habsburg throne, on June 28, 1914.

Study in depth and you will realise that an assassination alone does not start a war. It is the culmination of events which is ignited by a spark!!

World War I was caused in part by the two opposing alliances developed by Bismarckian diplomacy after the Franco-Prussian War. In order to diplomatically isolate France, Bismarck formed the Three Emperor's League in 1872, an alliance between Germany, Russia and Austria-Hungary. When the French occupied Tunisia, Bismarck took advantage of Italian resentment towards France and created the Triple Alliance between Germany, Italy and Austria- Hungary in 1882. In exchange for Italy's agreement to stay neutral if war broke out between Austria-Hungary and Russia, Germany and Austria-Hungary would protect Italy from France. Russia and Austria-Hungary grew suspicious of each other over conflicts in the Balkans in 1887, but Bismarck repaired the damage to his alliances with a Reinsurance Treaty with Russia, allowing both powers to stay neutral if the other was at war.

It is your call.

Warning are not given that easily. It is debated by the Moderators and then a majority view is taken.

If it were for one Moderator to go on the rampage, then this Forum would not be that liberal as you find it.

How can you lock a thread that has not transgressed propriety en masse!

Note: I edited this since when I wrote it, owing to low voltage, my wireless keyboard was acting tardy and weird and so I had to get something through as a starter. Now the voltage is fine and so the refining of the thoughts.