Send your opinions to Verma Committee on prosecuting rape cases

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sabir, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

The three-member committee of jurists, constituted to give recommendations on amending laws to provide speedier justice and enhanced punishment in sexual assault cases, began its work today by issuing notice seeking public comments on the issue by January 5.

The committee headed by former Chief Justice of India J S Verma sought comments from the public in general, particularly eminent jurists, legal professionals, NGOs, women's groups and civil society members on reviewing the existing laws in a bid to provide quicker justice and stringent punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault, an official statement said.

The comments can be sent at email ID - [email protected] or through FAX at 011-23092675.

Delhi gang rape: Justice Verma committee begins work; seeks public comments - The Economic Times

I propose you give your opinions here within 48 hours from now and let a team of selected members (Sayare Sir should be one I think) to review the suggestions draft a letter to send to Justice Verma Committee on behalf of DFI (of course mentioning our member strength).

What do you think?

Snuggy321, roma and A chauhan like this.
  3. Sabir

re: Send your opinins to Verma Committee on prosecuting rape cases

Someone please change the title of the thread....Now I notice is pathetic English... :(

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am skeptical

Having been a part of the system, conferences, commissions, committees are the best way to divert attention and bury the issue.

And when the report is finally made, it is either ignored or made lukewarm to suit the powers that be.

Verma,. Sharma, or Karma, why have a Committee?

There is already an Anti Rape Bill pending in the Parliament for 07 years.

Can that not be debated and polished and passed?

The JPC on this Bill can meet and take expert opinions and then send it to the Parliament for adopting.

If every issue that requires a Bill passed by the Parliament requires a Committee, then what is the Parliament for?

What is most important is that the Police, the investigating and the enforcement agencies should be made beyond the control of politicians and politics and at the same time, ensure through inbuilt checks and balances that they do not become draconian.

The Police Reform, Judicial Reforms and Administrative Reform report should be implemented.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. Sabir

Sir....even before this public opinions were sought though such big advertisement I have never seen for the purpose. We must give our opinions. If the recommendetaion of the committee proves to be a mere eye-wash or its recommendation is ignored we all have the right to agitate. But, we must not ignore it when we have been asked to put forward something.

A chauhan likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am not asking you not to give your opinion.

Please do so.

I am merely stating that all this is merely re-inventing the wheel.

There is already an Anti Rape Bill pending for 07 years!

Am I to understand that it was all waffle and hot air and continues to be so since it has not been withdrawn?

If that Bill was not worth the paper it was written on, then why did they try to bring that Bill to be passed as an Act?

7. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

BRO - even indian independence wasnt achieved overnight - the first protests against british rule were around 1890 or so ( forgive my slight inaccuracies here ) and firm movements were in place around the time of the first world war i.e 1915 - 1920 ...... so it was a long and winding road but it was worth it all and the perseverance had to play its part ......what if they had said after 20 yrs at about 1940 that it's not going to happen ....we have been agitating since 1890 ?

similar process here ....if it is a good cause , then we cant give up, ever ....the delays may be illogical so all the more reason to use logic to make those barriers fall and achieve better safety for women

what if someone you know was spared the crime because a better system comes into force, even if somewhat late - wouldnt it still be worth it ( just as india achieved Independence late ? - the link with independence is justified , women in india need their independence from such criminal subjugation

8. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Thank you very much Member Sabir ( DFI Team ) for this post which i personally believe will give hope and safety in the near future - i dont think the women of india are going to miss this avenue to improve things - a good move , together with other moves to improve the situation

9. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

1. Armed (with a gun) security guard in every bus
    2. Increase the strenght of the police force
    3. Cameras at all major intersections
    4. Create a special division in the police which only handles crimes against woman specifically rape, molestation & eve teasing
    5. Death penalty for rarest of rare cases and castration for repeat offenders
    6. Investigation unit independent of the police
    7. Increase the strength of the judiciary
    8. Greater emphasis on technology for surveillance and also for prosecuting

A chauhan likes this.
  10. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

A suggestion as some members hinted - Solitary confinement in gang rape cases should be increased from present 3 months to 3/? years, with decreased intervals in section 73 & 74 IPC. I oppose Capital punishment in rape cases as it will risk the life of victims. Minimum punishment for rape (in common cases) is 7 years which should be increased up to 10 years, maximum is already lifetime imprisonment.

It was in 1857, Sepoy revolt, it's also called the first war of India's Independence.
    4rth one is really a good suggestion.

Sabir and sayareakd like this.
  11. The Messiah

DFI should compile a short list and send it but we need more members to participate.

12. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

My suggestion is for short & long term perspective.

For Short Term Measures:
    1) Ensure that all the police station record the rape case any violation will get immediate suspension from service of the police in charge there. Put more women in the police station dealing with rape cases.
    2) Make it a Human issue rather than women issue.
    3) Build special fast track court to close all rape cases in 3 weeks sharp. The conviction has to come within 3 weeks.
    4) Once convicted leave the accused tied on to a pole in any busy road for people to see and then hang him there itself.
    5) Drag the accused body in the city limits to show what is the punishment in store for a rapist.

For Long Term Measure:

1) Update our education system thoroughly to inculcate the moral values to respect human values...
    2) Make it mandatory or parents to have regular session with their children to inculcate a value system.

So we have to arrest the current trend by putting in fear in to the minds of such people who has such tendency, that they will get punished brutally and it will be in a very quick time. At the end a sound education system is the only way out of this menace in long term.

sayareakd and roma like this.
  13. The Messiah

6. Investigation unit independent of the police
    7. Increase the strength of the judiciary
    8. Greater emphasis on technology for surveillance and also for prosecuting

14. Snuggy321

Snuggy321 Regular Member

Special corridors in every larger city which is covered by CCTV cams and guarded by cops 24/7.

15. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Not only legal reforms, we need police and social reforms:

First step we should do is how to deter persons who are likely to commit such acts.
    Legal:
    1. I am oppose to Death penalty for rape, first of all it is not deter the criminal, but adverse effect would be that they will kill the rape victim
    as A chauhan has said Solitary confinement, let it up to the Judge to decided the quantum of punishment for them, including hard labour for life.
    2. Financial penalty is also good idea, including attachment of the assets of the accused and final sale when the trial is concluded. This will also hit their families financially therefore added pressure on criminal elements, so that they will get proper pressure from their own families.
    3. Build in check and balance so that in case of false cases for rape, those who make such allegations and conspiracy should have equally strong jail term.
    4. 7 years punishment should be increased to 10 years in normal case, for gang rape it should be hard labour for life.
    5. In case Police station does not write rape complaint, SHO and his subordinate on duty shall be made accomplice to the rape and they should be booked for rape. This clause is for the reason that SHO and police will not write the rape complaint in first place this will result in victim running away from law and guilty will get scot free and will commit more crime since they now how to get pass law.
    6. Fast track court will be made when DHC open again, Chief Justice of DHC has already said that.

Police reform:
    1. If police just do their job of law and order half of the job is done, ofcouse they cant police very home or car, but people should feel safe. Lot of things can be done in this regard. proper scientific investigation to build up good case is also needed. FSL is lacking infrastructure.

Even technology can be used by ladies and girls. Like GPS smart phone application for tracking. and GPS tracking watches with SOS button
    Sos Panic Button Watch Gps Tracker,Buy Quality Sos Panic Button Watch Gps Tracker from Manufacturers and Suppliers on Alibaba.com

Social reforms:
    1. Some how we should teach our Children that ladies are not sex object they should be respected.

just few pointers in hurry.

roma, Sabir and A chauhan like this.
  16. The Messiah

At the end of the day we are all suggesting "preventive" measures instead of questioning the society which produces these rapists. When a girl child is aborted and killed, when a girl is sold into a marriage with dowry, when a girl didn't have the equal capacity to inherit her parents property until 2005 etc etc etc then naturally some people will see them as objects.

Joji and blank_quest like this.
  17. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Add to that, a rapist should loose his property rights and all his property should be given to the victim on a successful conviction, and this power should be restricted to the SC to avoid its misuse. A convicted rapist must live in insolvent state.

18. The Messiah

But that would be collectively punishing the entire family.

Also false accusations will also rise because of the lust of property.

19. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

that way you will expose the victim to the public. Just sell his property and give cash as per court order and put rest with Govt as cost of trial.

20. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

Well, why should the rapist family suffer for its deeds? most of the time they are not aware of it un less caught...

21. The Messiah

Entire family will be destroyed if property is given away because of the antics of one member.

Punish the rapist not his family.