Senators irked by India's Iran ties, stalled nuclear trade

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
WASHINGTON: India's continued engagement with Iran in the face of American pathology against Tehran and New Delhi's insistence on putting safety before commerce in nuclear energy trade surfaced as wrinkles in an otherwise smooth and upbeat assessment of US-India ties during the confirmation hearing of Nancy Powell, the US ambassador-nominee to India.

US Senators gushed about the growing closeness between Washington and New Delhi, a proposition supported by Ms Powell, but on a day India's foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai met Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other state department mandarins to present New Delhi's perspective on these and other issues, lawmakers did not hold back from expressing annoyance at the Indian stance on Iran and stalled nuclear trade with US

The sharpest censure came from New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez who virtually accused India, which is one of Iran's largest energy buyers, of ''rebuking (US-led) sanctions'' and ''looking for workarounds, including considering payments in gold and transactions that detour around'' Washington's move forestall Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

''For our sanctions to be effective, it's really crucial that all nations, particularly democratic nations like India, work together to confront Iran,'' Menendez said, urging Powell to convey to New Delhi that this is a ''policy priority'' and the US will not hesitate to take appropriate action under its law to enforce the sanctions, a step that will hurt Indian companies if they continue trading with Iran.

Powell was measured in her response, noting that Iran and India have a long tradition of trade across energy and other fields, but also noting twice that foreign secretary Mathai has indicated India's effort to diversify its energy sources and reduce Iranian oil imports to less than 10 per cent. She also pointed out that India had supported the US at the IAEA four times and it shared with Washington a desire to see a nonnuclear state in Iran.

''I think these are positive developments,'' she said, adding that ''our own efforts to support India in looking at other sources of energy will be a contributor to this.'' She however promised to spend time working with New Delhi on this subject.

Similarly, Powell also heard senatorial annoyance at India's nuclear liability bill, which veteran senator and disarmament pundit Richard Lugar said could frustrate the US nuclear industry's efforts to play a role in India's expanding nuclear power sector. Lugar said the bill's terms are ''fundamentally inconsistent'' with the liability regime that the international community is seeking to achieve and wanted the prospective envoy to take this up.

Outside these two niggles, there was the usual buoyant assessment of US-India ties, with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry reiterating the broad Washington consensus that ''America is an interested stakeholder in India's increasing ascent to greater economic and greater global power and participation.'' Powell, a veteran foreign service nominee who Kerry described as ''one of our best'' agreed, describing India as ''leading security partner of the US in the 21st century.''

Describing India as a ''net security provider in the Indo-Pacific region,'' Powell, considering a shoo-in for the New Delhi post with confirmation a mere formality, said the ''number and kinds of interactions between our two countries at all levels is staggering in its breadth and depth.''

The Times of India on Mobile

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
That we are looking out for our interests and not following around others like lackeys.
When a guy was called out and your the only one with the loser who is still in the field when everyone has left before the beating starts then you deserve to get beaten by the bully gang to.. We should get the hell out of there... Lift the lunge pick up the chapal in your hands and run without turning back...

ejazr

Ambassador
This is certainly not good and Mathai hopefully works proactively and gets GoI pov across on the Iran sanctions. We have already cut down on oil imports and diversified as well as voted along with the US on IAEA on Iran. US senators should look at the big picture and not create unnecessary ruckus over small things. China is a much bigger importer of oil than India and more focus should be deflected on China which can actually AFFORD to reduce Iranian oil imports. While we as a poor country can NOT afford to do so.

US ambassador-nominee put on mat over India-Iran ties - Rediff.com India News

United States's concern on the exacerbating confrontation with Iran, and India's [ Images ] perceived reticence to join in the US-led paranoia against Teheran, was on full display during the nomination hearing of career diplomat Nancy J Powell to be the next American ambassador to New Delhi [ Images ].

The ranking Republican on the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Senator Richard Lugar, fired the first salvo when he told Powell, "In recent days, press reports indicate that India's Oil and Natural Gas Corporation has come under pressure to finalise a service contract for natural gas production with Iran," and asked her for her "thoughts on an Indian company's involvement in Iran's energy sector, particularly something of this significance?"

Powell, being the quintessential diplomat, and attempting to be as circumspect as possible, replied, "Iran and India have a long tradition of trade across energy and other fields. It is one that is clearly a part of our sanctions regime, that we are hoping to see it significantly reduced."

She then pointed out that on Monday, in a speech to the Center for Strategic and International Studies, visiting Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai had "indicated that -- the current efforts to diversify India's sources of oil and petroleum and a reduction in their use of Iranian oil to 10 percent or less."

Powell said that she would "certainly -- if confirmed -- I know that this is going to be one of the issues that I will be spending a great deal of time on in working with the Iranian sanctions legislation with our own policies and with the Indians to work with them."

But if she believed that was the end of it, the ambassador-designate may have been guilty of wishful thinking.

Democratic Senator, Robert Menendez of New Jersey, noting his concern regarding India's stand to eschew isolating Iran, said, "I'm a strong believer that this relationship between the United States and India is a critical one, but I am sure, as you are aware, in December, I along with other colleagues sponsored legislation in the Congress by amendment that the Senate passed unanimously and the president signed into law with reference to comprehensive sanctions on the financial institutions of the Central Bank of Iran."

Menendez also pointed out, "The Indian government, which is one of Iran's largest crude customers, seems to be rebuking the sanctions and looking for workarounds, including considering payments in gold and transactions that detour around the central bank of Iran which, at the end of the day, still is helping the Iranian government have the resources to fuel their nuclear ambitions."

Menendez said, "For our sanctions to be effective, it's really crucial that all nations, particularly democratic nations like India, work together to confront Iran and insist that it terminate its effort to achieve nuclear weapons capability."

"What is your view of the Indian government's rationale to achieve -- I mean, to support the Iranians in this regard?" he asked Powell, and added, "And if you are confirmed as our ambassador, will you carry the message to New Delhi that this is a policy priority for the United States and that we will not hesitate, as appropriate, to pursue the law as it exists?"

Powell replied, "Senator, certainly, if confirmed, I understand and appreciate that this is going to be a very important topic and one of those that I will be dealing with very seriously and very early in my tenure."

But she said, "Approaching it, I think, perhaps a little bit differently than you did, but to recognise that Iran shares with us -- excuse me -- India shares with us a desire to see a non-nuclear state in Iran."

Powell pointed out that "they have supported us in the International Atomic Energy Agency four times. We continue to have a very important dialogue at the most senior levels of the US government. And I fully intend to be a part of that dialogue. I believe that making sure that there is clarity on what the legislation and the US sanctions mean, what they -- their implications are for India is one step. Also, looking to make sure that we understand what actions India is taking."

Menendez, apparently not fully convinced that she would take it up strongly with New Delhi, while noting, "I appreciate that," said, "This is incredibly important to us. If countries like India are basically going to pay in gold or find other ways to circumvent the sanctions, then while I appreciate what you said about India sharing our goals, well, you could share our goals, but you could ultimately continue to facilitate the resources that are necessary for Iran to achieve its nuclear power."

"And so we need more than their goodwill or sharing our goals. We need their actions to join us and the rest of the international community in that regard. And I hope you will, if confirmed, and in short order, hopefully, be in India that this will be one of your top priorities."

Menendez then obviously intent to get Powell on the record, asked, "Would you tell us on the committee that this will be one of your top priorities when you get there?"

Powell reiterated, "Most certainly, it will be one of the top priorities."

KS

Bye bye DFI
When a guy was called out and your the only one with the loser who is still in the field when everyone has left before the beating starts then you deserve to get beaten by the bully gang to.. We should get the hell out of there... Lift the lunge pick up the chapal in your hands and run without turning back...
These so called "We-are-a-NAM-country-with-independent-brain" fellows never cease to amaze me.

Being independent is fine as long as you are not betting on the losing horse.

There is no pride in that,even if its a result of "independent" thinking.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There is no way out for the US as far as Iran goes. India along with Russia and China are not going to sanction. Any resolution will get vetoed.

I think the ball should move out from the Europeans to Asia as far as tackling Iran is concerned over its nuclear program. India and china along with other states here should start negotiations with Iran and be the "neutral" observers. Iran does not trust the west. The west has to take a step back and allow others to take lead IF it is interested in any peaceful resolution. If war and acquisition of oil wells is the end motive then we are on the highway to war.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
These so called "We-are-a-NAM-country-with-independent-brain" fellows never cease to amaze me.

Being independent is fine as long as you are not betting on the losing horse.

There is no pride in that,even if its a result of "independent" thinking.
It ceases to amaze me how brainless the lackeys are :rofl:

betting on losing horse my ass...what have we got to lose ? nothing.

we are even on good terms with israel...its not like our israel relationship will be compramised because of it...if it were then you might have a point.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The West are already rolling the dice on Iran, through Syria. If past events are any indication, there's not much obstruction that can't be swept aside if the US and EU are tightly united. India better join them (if it can't defeat them then join them), for the ever opportunist China will jump in with the bandwagon the moment events on the ground become clear judging from the more recent events...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There is no way out for the US as far as Iran goes. India along with Russia and China are not going to sanction. Any resolution will get vetoed.

The anti-Iran forces will simply look for other legal justifications if they can't get the UNSC to ride along with them...

Iamanidiot

The anti-Iran forces will simply look for other legal justifications if they can't get the UNSC to ride along with them...
They tried US sanctions and EU sanctions but no it didn't work.Problem is Iran has a commodity which most countries want

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
There is no legal justification. Only and "Iraq" can be done on Iran. Iranians are the only "independent" oil producing country in the region the rest being lackeys. The west needs to cover Iran so that till there is oil there, they control it and guess what that effects china really bad. India will at the end of the day manage to get it share of oil one way or the other.

KS

Bye bye DFI
It ceases to amaze me how brainless the lackeys are :rofl:

betting on losing horse my ass...what have we got to lose ? nothing.

we are even on good terms with israel...its not like our israel relationship will be compramised because of it...if it were then you might have a point.
There is no pride in losing. Period.

No one is being a lackey....Just our continued persistence with Iran might have more cons than pros.

Reduce oil consumption from them but not stop and diversity the sources. Going all out against the West in order to stand with Iran doesnt make any sense.

And tomorrow if it comes to a shooting game between Israel and Iran whom will you support..? Iran (for being independent) or Israel ?...There is a very real chnace of that happening.

You people are all brain dead fossils stuck in the Nehruvian era

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Nobody cares about irked senators.

The official position of US matters, which should rightfully come to terms with Indian interests.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Infact right now we are enjoying Iran's affections like never before

Iran has recently concluded a NEW deal in which we will pay with rupees for 45 % of our oil imports
and export more goods

SO till the actual war starts we can gain a lot

Last edited:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There is no pride in losing. Period.

No one is being a lackey....Just our continued persistence with Iran might have more cons than pros.

Reduce oil consumption from them but not stop and diversity the sources. Going all out against the West in order to stand with Iran doesnt make any sense.

And tomorrow if it comes to a shooting game between Israel and Iran whom will you support..? Iran (for being independent) or Israel ?...There is a very real chnace of that happening.

You people are all brain dead fossils stuck in the Nehruvian era
you may have a point there with the iran moving closer to Chinis and the porkis. But what about our own national interests? Chahabar port and afghanistan for that matter. And since you brought israel along, the same israel also has strong defence ties with chinis(our worst enemy now and foreseable future) so we can stop dealing with them altogether eh? We should act on our own national interests rather than be another lackey to the US. In short who should we be more like the French(independant yet allied) or the English(complete client state of the USA)???

pankaj nema

Country flag
Having Iran as a friend till the Iran USA war starts is necessary for us

IF a war happens and the regime changes we will still gain as having supported Iran till the last possible moment

Blackwater

WASHINGTON: India's continued engagement with Iran in the face of American pathology against Tehran and New Delhi's insistence on putting safety before commerce in nuclear energy trade surfaced as wrinkles in an otherwise smooth and upbeat assessment of US-India ties during the confirmation hearing of Nancy Powell, the US ambassador-nominee to India.

US Senators gushed about the growing closeness between Washington and New Delhi, a proposition supported by Ms Powell, but on a day India's foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai met Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other state department mandarins to present New Delhi's perspective on these and other issues, lawmakers did not hold back from expressing annoyance at the Indian stance on Iran and stalled nuclear trade with US

The sharpest censure came from New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez who virtually accused India, which is one of Iran's largest energy buyers, of ''rebuking (US-led) sanctions'' and ''looking for workarounds, including considering payments in gold and transactions that detour around'' Washington's move forestall Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

''For our sanctions to be effective, it's really crucial that all nations, particularly democratic nations like India, work together to confront Iran,'' Menendez said, urging Powell to convey to New Delhi that this is a ''policy priority'' and the US will not hesitate to take appropriate action under its law to enforce the sanctions, a step that will hurt Indian companies if they continue trading with Iran.

Powell was measured in her response, noting that Iran and India have a long tradition of trade across energy and other fields, but also noting twice that foreign secretary Mathai has indicated India's effort to diversify its energy sources and reduce Iranian oil imports to less than 10 per cent. She also pointed out that India had supported the US at the IAEA four times and it shared with Washington a desire to see a nonnuclear state in Iran.

''I think these are positive developments,'' she said, adding that ''our own efforts to support India in looking at other sources of energy will be a contributor to this.'' She however promised to spend time working with New Delhi on this subject.

Similarly, Powell also heard senatorial annoyance at India's nuclear liability bill, which veteran senator and disarmament pundit Richard Lugar said could frustrate the US nuclear industry's efforts to play a role in India's expanding nuclear power sector. Lugar said the bill's terms are ''fundamentally inconsistent'' with the liability regime that the international community is seeking to achieve and wanted the prospective envoy to take this up.

Outside these two niggles, there was the usual buoyant assessment of US-India ties, with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry reiterating the broad Washington consensus that ''America is an interested stakeholder in India's increasing ascent to greater economic and greater global power and participation.'' Powell, a veteran foreign service nominee who Kerry described as ''one of our best'' agreed, describing India as ''leading security partner of the US in the 21st century.''

Describing India as a ''net security provider in the Indo-Pacific region,'' Powell, considering a shoo-in for the New Delhi post with confirmation a mere formality, said the ''number and kinds of interactions between our two countries at all levels is staggering in its breadth and depth.''

The Times of India on Mobile

Mr senator this is India not pakistan who will lay on your bed when ever u wish:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::scared2::scared2:

p2prada

The Assamese said that when Bengal fell to the British. Delhi said that when Assam followed. Gandhi said the same before Burma fell to the Japanese in WW2.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles