Semi Automatic Carbine for Common Indian

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In India Gun laws are very strict, Till date Only Government allowed Gov agency to manufacture Arms and not allowing Pvt industry to grow in Civilian Arms market in India, What available to Citizens are Bolt action Rifles at best and low caliber pistols and Revolvers..

There is strict ban on Full working Automatic or semi-automatic Carbine and Rifles, There are certain rules that prohibits such design so even someone import it will automatically ban ..

Many Gun owners in India have dire wish to own semi-auto carbine or rifles, Unfortunately they cannot due to Laws applied by Government, But this thread is open not to discuss about problems but solution ..

In India Pvt Companies cannot produce firearms, But there are many approached customers to improve or modified IOF firearms, This can change many things ..

==============>>

.315 IOF Rifle in original form..

After makeover
Source : http://gunaccessory.com/accessories/default.htm
Source : http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/members-corner/42056-ofb-315-rifle-makeover-indian-company.html

==============

If proper research done to make solution to the existing problem at hand, That is to have a way to own Semi-automatic firearm without making major modification to the existing IOF firearms, And yes such solutions are available ..

There are foreign companies that make Pistol - Carbine kits, This Kits can be produce at India for Indian specific firearms like IOF .32 Pistols and Revolvers so does .22 LR revolver , Here is the detail with Pictures and Vids

==========================>>>>>>>>

RONI Pistol - Carbine Conversion kit

Many people asking about the RONI - its features, design, purpose & so on.Here, in this short video, we will try to provide some of the answers.
And many more like it ---------------------->>

=========================================
=========================================

A crude idea of what i am trying to convey via this diagram >

If such modifications can be available well within Indian Laws then we can have Semi-automatic carbine to civilians ..

Such modification is beneficial for both eager customers and company which can make it, This will be a hit if done properly ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Spindrift

As per the current law, semi-automatic rifles are prohibited.. so nothing can be done there unless the arms rules are modified to get them in non-prohibited category, but some companies can produce good stocks for the bolt action rifles. As far as pistols are concerned, one can legally use extensions like http://i.imgur.com/iSna00A.jpg as i believe they are not covered in the existing arms act and arms rule, but again the problem here is that IOF products are crap and more over they are in .32 ACP and i am not sure if such an extension with be helpful and or practical.. but in the near future the Indian government my allow license holder to import one fire arm and if that becomes a reality then once could import a pistol in .380 ACP or .40 S&W calibers with such extensions or use such extensions that are made in India.

@Kunal the idea that you drew up here http://i.imgur.com/Y77usrZ.jpg would better suitable with 1911 clone such as lama, rather that with the IOF's Ashani, which i believe is clone of Browning 1910.

BTW, the Indian gov may also change the laws and or rules to allow private companies to manufacture accessories for firearms such as sights, etc

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
And all other who are interested in this topic are most welcome .. :)
Thanks for the initiative Saar. Would be able to view images once I reach home, but isn't the very term 'Carbine' going to cripple the under 'ahem' of our babus?
Talk of implementation and all the apocalyptic 'What if' scenarios will be listed, saying that civilians need not be armed with "dangerous" weapons.
Politics aside, people in public sector are so woefully ignorant of the basics and so hopelessly empowered at the same time; that nothing of worth ever happens.
Reminds me of how Yusuf encountered guys who didn't know the difference betwen a nut and a bolt.

I won't whine much because this is a design and wishlist thread. Will be back with my suggestions soon.

Regards,
Virendra

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
sir, we even import gloves to be used for sniper who gonna think about what you said, at least we should first start indigenous production of gloves for sniper,bullet proof jacket,ammo, etc as well as your idea

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Automatics and Semis in India should only be given to mentally stable and highly educated people!

If we allow automatics in the rural areas then in no time India will become pakistan!

I'm all for the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Virendra, It can be market here in India just by calling it an extension, @Spindrift, What i suggested is to have such extension made at India by Pvt and market it for specifically IOF pistols and revolvers ..

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Automatics and Semis in India should only be given to mentally stable and highly educated people!

If we allow automatics in the rural areas then in no time India will become pakistan!

I'm all for the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense!
Well.. the way I see the rich delhite goons sometime in TV, I wonder if education should be the parameter.

however, I believe an ex-serviceman or a Govt. officer or a respected professional in any field can be given the license, provided there is specific and harsh punishment in case their licensed weapon is misused by anyone to ensure the extra care.

Spindrift

@Virendra, It can be market here in India just by calling it an extension, @Spindrift, What i suggested is to have such extension made at India by Pvt and market it for specifically IOF pistols and revolvers ..
Yes, Indian firms can make them, but i am not sure how viable or useful they'll be with compact pistols that IOF makes. BTW, i know of a law enforcement officer who got such an extension form US in his checked in luggage (i think) for his government issued Glock... he posted a video of himself with it on IFG...

Liberty_and_Freedom

Is IOFB finally waking up to the fact that it needs to tap into the local market ? I for one would be happy with the OFT 1A1(FN FAL clone) in Semi Auto(If I can recall correctly it's still being exported).
And does this have anything to do with the 20,000 orders placed for AK-47's for the CRPF and surplus INSAS 5.56 available ?:thumb:

All aside, the Arms Act of India (1959) as it stands today does not 'readily' allow for possession of Semi Automatic rifles.Semi Automatic rifles come under the Restricted Arms category. Restricted Arms can be possessed by the general public but licensing has to be sanctioned by the Ministry Of Home Affairs, Government of India, through the District Magistrate and to be renewed by the District Magistrate periodically. Quite similar to the way Prohibited Arms are issued. To some this may sound as a good way to ensure compliance, whereas in reality, its just a nice facade in front of a dead end. There's too much of discretionary and arbitrary legistlation standing in the way of someone who wants to legally own a Semi Auto Rifle. However the extent of enforcement of these laws will differ based on how "equal" one is; in this society of ours where some are "more equal than others".

If the laws are not amended, this will only be a pipedream.

Last edited:

Himanshu Pandey

until our law is modified there is nothing which can be done... till 90s we had right to own sten gun after some special permission from governor in some exceptional cases. right now the most lethal gun which we can own are rifle and shotguns(if you are part or owner of any private security agency).... I support guns but not the automatic or semi-automatic guns... with the level of lawlessness in most of states and political attacks going on.. these guns will complicate the situation...

its better to arm people with guns but not too lethal guns and time has came to revise the gun law to make gun license a easily available thing... that will be all that is needed in my opinion.

jmj_overlord

its better to arm people with guns but not too lethal guns and time has came to revise the gun law to make gun license a easily available thing... that will be all that is needed in my opinion.
definitely.......with gun violence cases rising in US, the situation here if weapons like semi automatic are issued can be worse, because i think people will have easy access to them here even with all the strict laws regarding obtaining license....

Himanshu Pandey

definitely.......with gun violence cases rising in US, the situation here if weapons like semi automatic are issued can be worse, because i think people will have easy access to them here even with all the strict laws regarding obtaining license....
and there is no need for semi-automatic guns for civilians.... we are not going to arm a civilian militia as US... we already have 10 million strong trained security forces (from army to NCC, police and reserves)... and can train people with in months if needs arises... until then just reform gun license law and let people have basic weaponry.

Twinblade

Country flag
Personally, I am against gun ownership. More often than not I see idiots fighting on the streets with bats and hockey sticks, but gun ownership restrictions in India, even though lame, prevent these idiots from killing each other. I don't have a problem with the current procedures of assigning ownership of guns but rather what kind of guns can be owned. To own a bolt action rifle you have to prove that you are into sports ? What kind of retarded logic is that. I don't see the point in prohibited bores and semi-auto rifles being disallowed either when the gun permits are granted after such a thorough vetting process. It's much easier to adopt a baby than to legally own a gun.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles