Scrutiny for Australia's India Uranium Ban

pmaitra

My math is alrite but your assumption in doing the math is not. Transportation cost is not based on the concentration of the ore and the distance. But your point only proves that because Aussies are the ones to go with because of better quality of theory ore.
Firstly, I provided two scenarios, transportation of mineral ore and ore concentrate. Either way, Aussie ore is cheaper. Pick any one you like.

Secondly, I can't agree with you that transportation cost is not based on distance because, as usual, you have not backed it up with any figures. That is where your math went wrong.

My point does not say that we should go with Aussie ore for better quality. I said that transportation costs with Aussie ore will be cheaper because:
  • In case of mineral ore, due to (1) better quality and (2) shorter distance (the point you keep ignoring each time)
  • In case of ore concentrate, due to (1) shorter distance (again, the point you keep ignoring each time)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ Yusuf, the point is they might have a lot of fine nuclear fuel but they are simply trying to show that they cannot sell to us because of "so and so" rule. UTTER BULLSHIT! I am not censoring the word because it is what it is--utter bullshit. Everybody knows that Australia since last 2 regimes has become increasingly sinophilic and this especially enhanced when during recession, trading with China bailed their heads out. This along with a whole host of hiccups like deteriorating people-to-people ties (anti-Indian attacks), poor sporting relations (it is a big thing for Australia as it prides itself in sporting and is one of the best) and India issuing travel advisory to Indian students after anti-Indian attacks (it was SPECIFICALLY India-targeted since if it was a pure white-racist attack, even Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and other south Asians as well as Chinese migrants would have been attacked, but the targets were too Indian to be brushed off) etc caused some serious irritation between the two countries.

For us, these things are small as what matters to us are more reality-related due to our location; however subjected to location of Australia where foreign policy is set with NATO, zero enemies and no borders with anyone; these kind of small stuff becomes a big issue for them. Hence, Australian government is considering not to sell it to us. I am sure that there might be some amount of Dragon's motivation behind this (clandestine since their own deal with Pakistan didn't go through).

We might have to take transport costs slightly more if we import it from other countries, but we are in the end gaining since we are getting what we want and this has become and effective tool in international diplomacy from our side. Australians lose the market, lose the goodwill and the potential to improve past errors. Increasingly they choose to move onto the other side and if it is their policy, so be it.

We could care any less.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tshering,
The policies of australia is directly linked to its other western counterparts read US. Till last year Obama was all over china, G2 and what not and today its all about encircling it. Policies change with time and changing interests. Mark my words, when all the new reactors come along and we need uranium, Aussie uranium will be the first to arrive.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pmaitra,
I am just keeping it simple in making everyone understand. My container worth $30,000 say in a normal period comes for $500 freight charge. Considering the longer distance of other country I add another 100 or 200 dollars to it, what percentage of that would be to the cost of my cargo? See 2 or 3% here and there is no big deal at all. Anyways the base point being freight cost is least of the priorities here. What is of importance is the quality of Aussie ore and also its reliability as I mentioned earlier.

pmaitra

Pmaitra,
I am just keeping it simple in making everyone understand. My container worth $30,000 say in a normal period comes for $500 freight charge. Considering the longer distance of other country I add another 100 or 200 dollars to it, what percentage of that would be to the cost of my cargo? See 2 or 3% here and there is no big deal at all. Anyways the base point being freight cost is least of the priorities here. What is of importance is the quality of Aussie ore and also its reliability as I mentioned earlier.
I see what you are saying. I do not know if India is going to import ore concentrate or mineral ore; in the former case, due to significant weight reduction the difference in freight costs will go down drastically, and yes, will not be a big deal. So I would like to refer to SHASH2K2 and wait till more confirmed reports are available.

Question is will Australia allow us to import raw uranium and process it here . If they process it in their country they can get more employment and more money for processed material.
I think Canada and Khazakastan has allowed us to setup ore processing facility in their country so even from there we will not be importing unprocessed material .

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf48.html

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India wants to process and reprocess its own fuel. Part of the nuke deal and 123 agreement.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles