Scotland to vote on independence in 2014

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by LurkerBaba, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Will the United Kingdom breakup ?

1. Yes

58.8%
  2. No

32.4%
  3. Can't Say

8.8%
  1. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Scotland will hold a vote in 2014 on independence in what could result in the eventual breakup of Britain, a British government minister said on Tuesday.

British Prime Minister David Cameron, who wants to keep Britain intact, had backed holding a vote as soon as possible on whether to end Scotland's 300-year-old union with England, with a simple "yes" or "no" single question.

Scottish to vote on independence in 2014: minister | Reuters

roma likes this.
  3. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Poll added...

4. Defenceindia2010

Defenceindia2010 Regular Member

Hope, Scotland vote's for independence anyway they are better off without the English. And if Scotland gets independence who knows Wales might be next.:pray:

Voldemort likes this.
  5. drkrn

drkrn Senior Member Senior Member

alas see what time has done..
    the once "an empire where sun never sets " is now breaking apart.what a pity

if Scots really wish to break up then this will be an end to England & Britain will have to loose its veto & permanent seat to some other nation.
    they have to look for new naval bases to keep their nuclear capable tridents out of Scotland..

i sense a great opportunity for India to set its foot in permanent league.we have to play wise or else we can have a good competition from Germany claiming the previous player an European so it must replaced with an European nation..

or can japan be a competition?

6. Kesang

Kesang Regular Member

Hard to believe

7. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a nation that consists of four countries (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales). It would be better for Scotland to get more autonomy rather than outright independence, I think.

Anyways,
    Scotland the Brave

Just love this song. Used to listen to the bagpipes version of this song before sleeping, when I was a kid. :)

PS: Gotta love the Scottish accent :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  8. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Scotland the Brave

Pipes and Drums Version

:)

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  9. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

If only Churchill were alive now! It seems that India is more of a country than the equator but that the "United Kingdom", an artificial entity built by centuries of Anglo-Saxon imperialism, is not! :rofl:

p2prada, uvbar, Illusive and 6 others like this.
  10. IBSA

IBSA Regular Member

I think the success of Scotland's independence will be influenced by the events on Catalunya.

A Spanish minister replied the Catalunya's threat promising to use force to avoid the break up of Spain. Will London to accept the pool results, or will they try to crash the Scottish independence movement on case of success???

If Catalonya get its independence from Spain and enters later in UE (they are Spain haters, not European haters), their success can inspire the Scottish claims. If they fails, Scottish can discourage on independence pursuit.

11. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Oh, he is alive. Through his millions of adulating fans. :lol:

Tshering22 likes this.
  12. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

It'll be interesting to see if Scotland, which is itself dependent on the central grants to the tune of £11 billion a year will actually vote for independence. There is a strong unionist faction in there fiercely opposed to severing any ties from the Crown. Moreover, lots of Scots and English have settled down in England and Scotland respectively and lots of mixed families around.

Plus, at the moment the Scots enjoy many perks of being an independent country (separate legal system, football team, a parliament, even a separate currency) without accompanying baggage (need to maintain armed forces etc.). Not sure if they'll be willing to give it all up and wade in to the choppy waters of geopolitics as a sovereign nation.

Razor likes this.
  13. tony4562

tony4562 Tihar Jail Banned

Scotland declaring independence would trigger a domino effect, N.Irland will for sure follow suit, Wales might do the same. Then it would only be logical to strip England its membership in the UN security council (this does not mean that Britain deserves it now).

I truely believe that both Britain and France should give up their memberships, and in return a seat can be granted to the European Union.

14. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

My Reply :-
    the reason you suggested the domino effect is by looking at the map without having a knowledge of the hidden demographics !!

the welsh population is a mere 3 million and composed of many english families who "migrated " there centuries ago but still consider themselves english and not welsh ...they would certainly NOT be in favour of any form of independence

the same is true for N ireland -many english and scottish families there - who hold to their original ethnicity and loyalty

i know that because among other reasons, i have lived there many years and spoken to many on this issue

the main and indeed ONLY contender for independence would be scotland - they have a large enough population of more than 5 million homogenous not mixed as in wales or N Ireland to form a nation immediately , have been in "the business of it for about FOUR decades ", have had a separate parliament for a long time , hold a fair bit of resentment against the colonialism of their nation and have resources including North Sea Oil to back their assurance of prosperity after independence , not to mention having top class universities , a separate scottish pound , a separate bank of scotland etc etc

i dont see the other joining in on the act , talking about it sure , but actually going for it no way - only scotland ...so there will not be any of your suggested " domino" effect even if scotland decides to leave the Kingdom.

Oh , btw i almost forgot - many thanks to member Lurkerbaba for an interesting thread !

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  15. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

Tshering22 likes this.
  16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Illusive likes this.
  17. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

Isn't it amazing how these things turn out. not even 100 yrs have passed.

18. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Oh ach, those damn sassenachs.
    Saxons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Messiah and Razor like this.
  19. Kesang

Kesang Regular Member

If more than 99% northern Irish voted for staying with United kingdom then we can expect even less separatism feeling among Scottish since there are no such thing like IRA in Scotland. I don't think that Scotland going to separate from UK.

BRAVEHEART

SAY SCOTLAND:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  20. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

people in northern ireland are descendends of english colonizers only. they stole that land, the original irish are a small minority in northern ireland.

21. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

Good luck to Scotland, hope they vote for independence! Wonder what will happen to the UNSC seat of "Great Britain" when Scotland separates. Will it go to Scotland or stay with "England and Wales" or better, be abolished? :D

The Messiah likes this.