Scotland names independence day

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales are separate countries in a Union called the United Kingdom, they have distinct laws and governments to an extent.
What all the countries don't have is complete rights to raise and spend taxes or a separate currency.
Scotland joined -at its own request - with England after Scotland bankrupted itself trying to build a Scottish Empire in South America (The Darian Scheme Darien scheme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Scotland's king became King of Scotland and England and English money was used to pay Scotland's debts.

This allowed Scotland to help build the British Empire - the prime reason Scotland wanted the Union with England and politically they became deeply involved in British politics. Many Prime ministers have been Scottish (Tony Blair, Gordon Brown etc)
Northern Ireland is still part of the Union, the people there are descendants of Scotland. The Scots built the industry of Northern Ireland and if you look at a map you can see why - they are next to each other over a small stretch of sea.
The English/Irish were in Dublin, which is now the capital of Ireland.
i never knew anything about the Darian scheme - and it takes a Polish person to tell me ?

England , Britain has changed beyond recognition since i was last there ! ...what is happening to this world ! ?

Last edited:

wegweg

i never knew anything about the Darian scheme - and it takes a Polish person to tell me ?
Ask any Scotsman and he will tell you why the Union came about, Scotland was bankrupted by Darian.The Scots pounds were worth 1/20th of an English Pound.

Thats why the argument over separation has revolved around money, its projected that Scotland will suffer 20 years of economic pain, the rest of the UK will bare notice the lose - except in defense. The nuclear deterrence is based in Scotland and the SNP want rid of it - it will cost 20 billion pounds to relocate it else where in the UK.

wegweg

Not just Northern Ireland but even Wales could take a leaf from Scottish independence movement.
Northern Ireland is not part of a United Ireland because the people living there refused to leave the UK, they will never change their mind on this. UK has tried to persuade them, offering Independence etc.

Wales will never be interested either.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles