Schoolboy builds laser drone that zaps landmines from the sky - earns £600,000 from Indian governmen

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/teenager-14-india-strikes-730000-9626017

A 14-year-old teenager from India has struck a US $730,000 deal with the Indian Government for his breakthrough invention of an anti-landmine drone.

Harshwardhan Zala, from Gujarat, has signed an agreement worth 50 million rupees (£600,000) for the contraption which can help in detect and defuse hidden bombs in fields.

It is said to be better than anything the army currently uses.

The schoolboy only began work on the prototype last year after reading about the high number of casualties caused by the explosive devices.

The state government part-financed his final version which cost him around 500,000 rupees (£6,000 or $7,300 in the US) - and now wants to explore the possibility of its commercial production

Harshwardhan Zala may only be 14 but he's come up with an idea that nobody else has thought of(Photo: NDTV)
Overjoyed Harshwardhan - whose dad is an accountant - says he has always been fascinated by science and innovation and has even set up his own company, Aerobatics 7, through which he intends to invent more such gadgets in the future.

He explained: "I first created a land mine detecting robot but realised that since the weight is heavy it would trigger a blast and damage it so I thought of creating a drone which will be at a safe distance while detecting the mines.

The drone is claimed to be better than anything the army currently uses (Photo: NDTV)
The drone works by first detecting the landmine via an infrared sensor and then a 50 gram detonator completes the task of defusing it.

Harshwardhan added: "For the final prototype that I created it cost me around 3.2 lakhs (US $4,700) - and improving it further may increase the cost a little but it will be still cheaper than the present system which is used in the army."

NDTV reports he signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at the Vibrant Gujarat summit in Ahmedabad.

Dr Narottam Sahu, head of Gujarat Council on Science and Technology (GUJCOST), said: "An MoU has been signed with him and in the coming days Gujarat government will work with him on this project."

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/teenager-14-india-strikes-730000-9626017

A 14-year-old teenager from India has struck a US $730,000 deal with the Indian Government for his breakthrough invention of an anti-landmine drone.

Harshwardhan Zala, from Gujarat, has signed an agreement worth 50 million rupees (£600,000) for the contraption which can help in detect and defuse hidden bombs in fields.

It is said to be better than anything the army currently uses.

The schoolboy only began work on the prototype last year after reading about the high number of casualties caused by the explosive devices.

The state government part-financed his final version which cost him around 500,000 rupees (£6,000 or $7,300 in the US) - and now wants to explore the possibility of its commercial production

Harshwardhan Zala may only be 14 but he's come up with an idea that nobody else has thought of(Photo: NDTV)
Overjoyed Harshwardhan - whose dad is an accountant - says he has always been fascinated by science and innovation and has even set up his own company, Aerobatics 7, through which he intends to invent more such gadgets in the future.

He explained: "I first created a land mine detecting robot but realised that since the weight is heavy it would trigger a blast and damage it so I thought of creating a drone which will be at a safe distance while detecting the mines.

The drone is claimed to be better than anything the army currently uses (Photo: NDTV)
The drone works by first detecting the landmine via an infrared sensor and then a 50 gram detonator completes the task of defusing it.
This is not a new idea but seems significantly cheaper to western alternatives.

But I'm really curious as to how a landmine detected by IR sensor. Please explain.

DingDong

Country flag
I am not very hopeful about the final outcome, however the news sounds really interesting and boy has got commendable talent.

Engineering (not Science/Mathematics) is one of those fields where age/experience is a huge asset, the 14 year old boy is really too young to create a genuine invention/break-through.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

But I'm really curious as to how a landmine detected by IR sensor. Please explain.
No idea. No details available yet.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

Dr Narottam Sahu, head of Gujarat Council on Science and Technology (GUJCOST), said: "An MoU has been signed with him and in the coming days Gujarat government will work with him on this project."
these are the kind of people we have
now let's look for more of them within the nation
we can and should overome ccpchina ....as long as we dont have any more JNs as PM

@Krusty@lcafanboy
[/USER]@indiazain@India22@F-14B
@nick_indian@Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606]@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER]@vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER]@rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam@Bullet@raja696@LordOfTheUnderworlds

@Amr
@AnkitPurohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akaskkumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@AncientIndian@anupamsurey@aliyah @@Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan@asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD@Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Blood+@bhai-117@Bangalorean@bengalraider
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando@Chirag @ChrisJude@Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@G10@Gessler@garg_bharat@guru-dutt @HariSud
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil@Indibomber@IndianHawk@Jangaruda
@JayPatel@jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony@manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu@Neil@NickyG@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad@Srinivas_K@ShashankSharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21@square@TacticalFrog@TejasMK3@Theenlightened
@Tamil TigerWoods@tejaswarrior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

charlie

Country flag

Well this is not something new, US was testing this concept back in 2010, if any digging take place even very small, there is a temp variation for that place, There is ablsoultely no innovation in this, he just took a thermal sensor and combined it with a drone. I don't think he even did a little bit of programming or anything to do with engineering either.

these guys in Afghanistan did more with drones like 3d mapping and all then this kid in gujarat did.

I can't find that video in which US company is testing back in 2010 a UAV like predator that moves ahead of the convoy and finds the thermal variation as well as matchs it with yesterday data

They lost interest in it because it was expensive and ground penetrating radar tech was more promising. Using UAV to follow convoy was much more expensive when they had to travel few hundred KMS so they moved to equipping the lead vehicle with the sensors or they can use autonomous vehicle with those sensors in it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
it doesn't matter if this kid succeeds or not, as long as people realise that being an inventor can also be a profession will be an achievement by itself.

There is one other guy in Mumbai(i think), who was planning to make a 20 seater plane. He was an ex-jet airways pilot.

if these guys succeed, it will open up a new industry .

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
the opinion of Dr Narottam Sahu, head of Gujarat Council on Science and Technology (GUJCOST)
on the other hand we also have another expert who posted :-

Well this is not something new, ................ There is ablsoultely no innovation in this, he just took a thermal sensor and combined it with a drone. I don't think he even did a little bit of programming or anything to do with engineering either.
now ladies and gentlemen , whats's going on ?

@charlie - pls quickly contact Dr Narottam Sahu ( mentioned above ) and please tell him that you are right and he is wrong in assessing this invention as being worth the substantial amount of tax-payers money about to be poured into it

pls have the guts to tell him that there is "no innovation", "little programming" and neither "anything to do with engineering " as you have stated in you post just above
and pls be honest enough to let us know what he replied to you ( personally i think many of us can guess the answer :bounce:
thanks
R
by the way please also let us know what innovations you have created, which qualifies you to critique this young person from India in such a bold manner :cowboy:

@Krusty@lcafanboy
@nick_indian@Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606]@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER]@vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER]@rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam@Bullet@raja696@LordOfTheUnderworlds

@Amr
@AnkitPurohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akaskkumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@AncientIndian@anupamsurey@aliyah @@Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan@asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD@Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando@Chirag @ChrisJude@Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil@Indibomber@IndianHawk@Jangaruda
@JayPatel@jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony@manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu@Neil@NickyG@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad@Srinivas_K@ShashankSharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21@square@TacticalFrog@TejasMK3@Theenlightened
@Tamil ER]@tejaswarior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

[QUOTE="Krusty, post: 1257545, member: 18745"]Too many unanswered questions. This guy is a land mine expert at 14 years? What landmine/explosive did he use for development and testing? Hes using IR to detect them, how? Is he getting any expert advise/assistance for handling land mines/high explosives? 14 YO cannot run around handling lamdmines. Doing this is by no means easy. You need to be an expert in mines, electrical, electronics and programming. All this at the age of 14? Wow... I just hope nothing fishy is going on. Good luck kid.[/QUOTE]
No probs, our expert @charlie will contact Dr Sahu of GUJCOST and give us some answers soon

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Too many unanswered questions. This guy is a land mine expert at 14 years? What landmine/explosive did he use for development and testing? Hes using IR to detect them, how? Is he getting any expert advise/assistance for handling land mines/high explosives? 14 YO cannot run around handling lamdmines. Doing this is by no means easy. You need to be an expert in mines, electrical, electronics and programming. All this at the age of 14? Wow... I just hope nothing fishy is going on. Good luck kid.

charlie

Country flag
the opinion of Dr Narottam Sahu, head of Gujarat Council on Science and Technology (GUJCOST)

on the other hand we also have another expert who posted :-

now ladies and gentlemen , whats's going on ?

@charlie - pls quickly contact Dr Narottam Sahu ( mentioned above ) and please tell him that you are right and he is wrong in assessing this invention as being worth the substantial amount of tax-payers money about to be poured into it

pls have the guts to tell him that there is "no innovation", "little programming" and neither "anything to do with engineering " as you have stated in you post just above
and pls be honest enough to let us know what he replied to you ( personally i think many of us can guess the answer :bounce:
thanks
R
by the way please also let us know what innovations you have created, which qualifies you to critique this young person from India in such a bold manner :cowboy:

@Krusty@lcafanboy

@Amr
@Tamil TigerWoods@tejaswarrior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra
Well just keep following the news, this guy will disappear. The Doc you mentioned is head of Gujarat Council. Have you even met a head of Gujarat Council before ? he would be the last guy on earth to talk about innovation. He is not from DRDO or from any R&D institution.

I knew this guy was educator before I even open his Linkedin account, he has more loyalty towards BJP then to science that's why he is at that post.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/narottam-sahoo-58952027

Well here is how it's going to work out they will reimburse him for the money his parents spent through the MOU just because he was enthusiastic about it and a tap on his back for doing good work(of course I am assuming).

Well I don't need to flaunt and neither I am qualified to do any research, I am just a technician not an engineer. But I did help in integrating and testing Inband GPS, something that no other competitor has done and the next best company Moto is at least 5 years away from doing it.

Again I didn't write my previous post to piss off anyone, patriotism is good but sometime you need to think with you head and just look at the pic you will know how much effort was put on that drone.

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Is he modifying existing drones or building them from scratch? I hate to say it, but @roma i smell something fishy. The expertise/skill set required for his claims is way, way past Even the best of 14YO. If he had them, he would be indias Tony stark! Not to mention the hazards of actually developing and testing a mine detection/disposal drone. But there should be something that has attracted this grant. I just hope it's not the wrong reasons. It would be great for India if this project clicked, but realistically, I am very skeptical about this whole deal

charlie

Country flag
Is he modifying existing drones or building them from scratch? I hate to say it, but @roma i smell something fishy. The expertise/skill set required for his claims is way, way past Even the best of 14YO. If he had them, he would be indias Tony stark! Not to mention the hazards of actually developing and testing a mine detection/disposal drone. But there should be something that has attracted this grant. I just hope it's not the wrong reasons. It would be great for India if this project clicked, but realistically, I am very skeptical about this whole deal

DSI 680 Pro, Made in china.

I can find the infrared sensor too that he is using but I don't see that in video, I am pretty sure for attaching that sensor too he did't make anything special he just bough an add on like they sell for GPS mount.

Note he is saying in the video that that the previous drone he bought was not able to carry enough weight and he RESEARCHED (lol) for a drone that is able to carry more weight and bought it online.

Even the water car scientist in Pakistan did more tweaking and put more effort to his car for Calcium Carbide to run his car then this kid did to his drone no matter how much the age difference is. Good thing our scientist community didn't come together like they did it in pakistan and clapped at his achivement.

This is my last post over here, can't discuss silly topic like this anymore. This is so wrong at so many levels and should not be discussed in defence forum and lot other things that are being discussed in this forum.

Last edited:

xeaaex

Using 4 BLDC motors,4 quad copter blades, 4 BLDC controller, a pack of lithium ion battery, a multi channel wireless controller capable of producing 4 pulse width modulated signal with a accelerometer and gyroscope for stablisation and PID controller programmed into it, a multi channel programmable wireless transmitter, a passive infrared sensor not pre-programmed to detect human signature and a cheap custome made aluminium frame is what you need to make a cheap knock off drone.
About the mine disposal mechanism he is using some 50 gram explosive i am sure he is using solenoid operated mechanism like chuck or something to drop that mini explosive.
Well any one can make such drones if they have interest and have access to internet.
But you wont get military grade materials and standards.
Also you need to perform series of tests according to military standard to make product fit for military use.

Lets talk About the price of whole drone thing.
1)bldc motor with controller 4x1000 ₹.
2)quad copter blades 4x100 ₹.
3)lithium ion battery pack 2000₹.
4)wireless transmitter and receiver with controller 6000 ₹.
5)custome made Aluminium frame 4000₹.
6)cheap passive infrared sensor 800₹.

Calculate lifting capacity of your motors,( need a weighing scale).
design the aluminium frame in solid works according to dimensions.
Manufacture the aluminium casting.
Connect output of passive ir sensor to one of the channel.
Connect remote to pc to receive the sensor data.
Assemble the drone.
And you are done.

Now i am Highly skeptical the kid knows anything about
1) how bldc motor works
2) how sensorless bldc motor controller is designed.
3) what is IGBT or lower MOSFET.
4) how to design drivers for switching IGBT and MOSFET.
5) how to model bldc motor mathematically and design a Pid controller for it.
6) how to optimise the response of controller according to you need.
7) how to start BLDC motor.
8) how to sense back EMF from BLDC motor.
9) what is stability
10) how to design pid controller for stability using inputs from gyro and accelerometer.
11) how to filter noise from the sensors digitally so that it wont affect stabilisation.
12) what type of wireless transmission technique is used.
13) what type of encryption is used
14) what is spread spectrum and what is the power of noise signal to jam the signal.
15) what type of error correction code ks used.

P.S. i skipped the mechanical part about strength of material, strain it can handle, max lifting capacity , drag etc.

I am sure his father is either a Engineer or drone enthusiast hope you guys get what i am trying to say :tongue2:

charlie

Country flag
Using 4 BLDC motors,4 quad copter blades, 4 BLDC controller, a pack of lithium ion battery, a multi channel wireless controller capable of producing 4 pulse width modulated signal with a accelerometer and gyroscope for stablisation and PID controller programmed into it, a multi channel programmable wireless transmitter, a passive infrared sensor not pre-programmed to detect human signature and a cheap custome made aluminium frame is what you need to make a cheap knock off drone.
About the mine disposal mechanism he is using some 50 gram explosive i am sure he is using solenoid operated mechanism like chuck or something to drop that mini explosive.
Well any one can make such drones if they have interest and have access to internet.
But you wont get military grade materials and standards.
Also you need to perform series of tests according to military standard to make product fit for military use.

Lets talk About the price of whole drone thing.
1)bldc motor with controller 4x1000 ₹.
2)quad copter blades 4x100 ₹.
3)lithium ion battery pack 2000₹.
4)wireless transmitter and receiver with controller 6000 ₹.
5)custome made Aluminium frame 4000₹.
6)cheap passive infrared sensor 800₹.

Calculate lifting capacity of your motors,( need a weighing scale).
design the aluminium frame in solid works according to dimensions.
Manufacture the aluminium casting.
Connect output of passive ir sensor to one of the channel.
Connect remote to pc to receive the sensor data.
Assemble the drone.
And you are done.

Now i am Highly skeptical the kid knows anything about
1) how bldc motor works
2) how sensorless bldc motor controller is designed.
3) what is IGBT or lower MOSFET.
4) how to design drivers for switching IGBT and MOSFET.
5) how to model bldc motor mathematically and design a Pid controller for it.
6) how to optimise the response of controller according to you need.
7) how to start BLDC motor.
8) how to sense back EMF from BLDC motor.
9) what is stability
10) how to design pid controller for stability using inputs from gyro and accelerometer.
11) how to filter noise from the sensors digitally so that it wont affect stabilisation.
12) what type of wireless transmission technique is used.
13) what type of encryption is used
14) what is spread spectrum and what is the power of noise signal to jam the signal.
15) what type of error correction code ks used.

P.S. i skipped the mechanical part about strength of material, strain it can handle, max lifting capacity , drag etc.

I am sure his father is either a Engineer or drone enthusiast hope you guys get what i am trying to say :tongue2:
father ' whose dad is an accountant'

He didn't do any these shit you wrote down bro, I think you did more research in posting this post then he did it on his drone

he just bought a DJI 680 pro and attach a sensor may be he did some research in buying a sensor which is a cheaper one. I am pretty sure for power the sensor too he didn't make any changes. Man it's so funny reminds me Indian version of pakistani water car. I should stop at this now.

xeaaex

father ' whose dad is an accountant'

He didn't do any these shit you wrote down bro, I think you did more research in posting this post then he did it on his drone

he just bought a DJI 680 pro and attach a sensor may be he did some research in buying a sensor which is a cheaper one. I am pretty sure for power the sensor too he didn't make any changes. Man it's so funny reminds me Indian version of pakistani water car. I should stop at this now.
No we should not stop, we should burst this bubble, the reason is genuine people like me womt get a funding but I don't know how this people manage to get one.

P.S. I did lots and lots of research on BLDC motor controller and discovered amd invented new feedback technique which is easy than most of the techniques available. I am going to publish this research in IEEE transaction, i have written 3 papers i am yet to publish them.

pmaitra

$730,000? That is a lot of money.

Drones are commercially available in toy stores. However, making an IR device that can detect mines is no easy task.

I have worked on FLIR images and I can tell you, for a 14 year old to come up with something like this, he must be very gifted.

Krusty

Country flag
$730,000? That is a lot of money.

Drones are commercially available in toy stores. However, making an IR device that can detect mines is no easy task.

I have worked on FLIR images and I can tell you, for a 14 year old to come up with something like this, he must be very gifted.
Sir, is it possible to detect mines/IEDs/explosives using FLIR equipment?

pmaitra

Sir, is it possible to detect mines/IEDs/explosives using FLIR equipment?
Probably not all types of mines, if at all. FLIR works best when there is heat emission. I have not seen an FLIR image of a mine. I know what heat emission from humans, vehicle engines, and aircraft turbine exhaust looks like.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles