Scam-wary Army calls off Israeli missile deal

WMD

Scam-wary Army calls off Israeli missile deal

After years of searching for an anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) and finalizing an Israeli product, the Army has dramatically called off the deal because of fears of the single tender procurement erupting into a controversy in the future.

According to sources, the ATGM deal worth about Rs 15,000 crore, the biggest deal in recent times for the Army, was listed on the agenda of the defence acquisition council (DAC), headed by defence minister AK Antony, on April 2. It was originally meant to be cleared by the council for final approval of the Cabinet committee on security (CCS) headed by the Prime Minister.

However, Army chief General Bikram Singh is believed to have told the DAC that the Army was cancelling the deal and opting for a fresh process. The Army chief's move has surprised many, because of the aggressive way Army headquarters had been pushing the deal until then.

The deal is meant to equip 356 infantry battalions of the Army with the latest ATGMs. The Indian Army had been in advance stages of negotiations with Rafael Advanced Defence Systems of Israel for purchase of Spike ATGMs.

The Army had been searching for the past several years for a modern anti-tank missile to replace Milan and Konkurs — both in service with the Army for a few decades now. First, the Army zeroed in on a government-to-government deal with the US for the Javelin missiles — jointly produced by Raytheon and Lockheed Martin — but it fell through after the US refused transfer of technology for indigenousproduction in India by Bharat Dynamics Limited.

While some sources insist that the deal could be brought back to the desk after a global technology scan and ensuring that there are no other options available, there is now clarity on the issue. Sources admit that the deal is over, and a fresh process will start.

Sources said the era of single vendor procurements — unless it is an extraordinary situation — is virtually over. In recent years, companies from Russia, Israel and even the US have bagged several contracts through single vendor situations.

Changes in procurement process get nod

The DAC has approved several amendments to the way military equipment is purchased in the country. Among them are a series of measures to increase accountability in terms of timeframe for selecting a product. The DAC has also approved removal of all references to Raksha Udyog Ratnas from the Defence Procurement Procedure.

The status was meant to be granted to about a dozen firms, which were to be given preferential treatment at par with defence PSUs in military contracts. The second amendment is that the acceptance of necessity, the first step in procurement, will be granted only after services have prepared the (general staff qualitative requirement) for an equipment.

Scam-wary Army calls off Israeli missile deal - The Times of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
Might as well ask the Brits to come back and rule the country.

We cannot take any decision in the interest of the nation. at every step we have to confront a bogeyman. Are we a banana republic or is there something behind this that does not meet the eye?

This is shocking news coupled with the news about the state of affairs of the T 72 tank. A lousy way to start the weekend.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Check for anti corruption is a good omen but risking the security of the nation is a grave crime, their should be a plan B for just in case. We cant risk our defence preparedness for such stupid procurement process.

After years of searching for an anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) and finalizing an Israeli product, the Army has dramatically called off the deal
After all the process wasted years of an effort.

Blackwater

i have full faith in my sarkari babus. well its a one step closer to Gajwa-a-Hind i suppose

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Might as well ask the Brits to come back and rule the country.

We cannot take any decision in the interest of the nation. at every step we have to confront a bogeyman. Are we a banana republic or is there something behind this that does not meet the eye?

This is shocking news coupled with the news about the state of affairs of the T 72 tank. A lousy way to start the weekend.
Instead of appointing Ceremonial heads for a few years, let one person be held accountable and responsible for reforms. If I were an Army General, I would rather serve out my 2 years as Army Chief, as one which had no wars, and no scams, rather than for taking tough decisions, which my successor will screw up and then blame me on.

natarajan

Bring back conki again in 2014 ,great to the army i mean for pakis and chincoms

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
So India will not acquire any platform if only one company makes a certain type of of product and wait for another company to make a competing product! This is hilarious.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
If they had gone for single vendor procurement, people would have been shouting for misusing their tax money. Army took right call. People of this country are confused, they themselves don't know what they want. And they can't even organize representation for their supposedly 'right' agenda. You cynically judge policy matters from the glasses of auditors only, hence there is indecisiveness. Moreover it will only increase if people fail to make distinction in future.

Sent from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It's still funny. If its single vendor or not single vendor, how does it matter? Money is still made by those who want to. How different is it from companies like Agusta paying to swing the deal in their favor.

The biggest loser in this deal is te army itself. BTW in India, with DRDO being the only company servicing Indian defence needs, its a single vendor deal all the time!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
It's still funny. If its single vendor or not single vendor, how does it matter? Money is still made by those who want to.
It matters because it gives opportunity for ignorant to cry corruption charges. Then leading to suspension of order and delays.

agentperry

whats the point of giving out tenders. they get cancelled anyway anyhow.
in my life i have seen tenders getting cancelled by so many innovative.
too many middlemen, too less middlemen are the only two ways left to call off tenders

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
i have full faith in my sarkari babus. well its a one step closer to Gajwa-a-Hind i suppose
Pakis has started preparation of Gajwa-a-Hind already after this thread :tea: :lol:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think DRDO have a successful ATGM for Infantry at Home >>

CLGM Testfired: The DRDO on Monday conducted tests of an advanced version of Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile (CLGM) from the ITR here.Three rounds of the missile were test-fired from a specially built launcher at the launching complex-II of ITR. A defence official said the missile destroyed the targets as expected."The tests were conducted in between 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm during low tide period. There will be one more round of test on Tuesday," he said.
DRDO readies for tests of Pinaka versions - The New Indian Express

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Kunal Da, AFAIK SAMHO ATGM was adopted as a mounted CLGM and DRDO was unable to produce a MANPADS version of it, that is why this RFP was started.

I think DRDO have a successful ATGM for Infantry at Home >>

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
SAMHO is for Infantry and CLGM is for Arjun, Both are same Missiles based on LAHAT ..

RFI was out coz Army wanted a fire and forget system like Javelin and Spike as both are not feasible, In such situation SAMHO is a good option to replace older Russian wire guided Missiles..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Yes sir, but DRDO could not make a MANPADS version of it...

SAMHO is for Infantry and CLGM is for Arjun, Both are same Missiles based on LAHAT ..

RFI was out coz Army wanted a fire and forget system like Javelin and Spike as both are not feasible, In such situation SAMHO is a good option to replace older Russian wire guided Missiles..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles