SC stays Ayodhya verdict, terms it 'strange' and 'surprising'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sabir, May 9, 2011.

1. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

New Delhi: Calling it a strange and surprising order, the Supreme Court on Monday stayed the Allahabad High Court's verdict -- which directed the site to be divided equally between the three contending parties -- on the Babri Masjid-Ramjanmbhoomi disputed site.

Assailing the judgment of the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court, the apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice R.M. Lodha on Monday said that by directing the partition of the disputed site, the high court has given an entirely new dimension to the case.

'It is a rare judgement whose operation has to be stayed,' the court said.

'It was a strange and surprising order that was not prayed for by any of the parties and cannot be allowed to remain,' it said.

While admitting the appeals by all the parties, the court said that 'status quo as a disputed site will remain as directed by the constitution bench of the apex court by its verdict of Jan 7 1993 and that of March 13-14, 2002'.

While ordering the stay, the apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice R.M. Lodha said that at least on the issue of the staying the operation of the high court verdict, there is a unanimity.

The apex court had allowed worship at the makeshift temple at Ayodhya and restrained all the parties from carrying out any religious activities on the 67.703 acres of land that was acquired by the central government around the disputed site.

The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Sep 30, 2010, ruled that the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya was built on a site after demolishing a temple on it way back in 1528, and that the spot where a makeshift temple to Ram Lulla was built after razing the mosque in 1992 was indeed where Hindu god Ram was born.

The Lucknow bench ordered that the land around the disputed site would be divided into three parts -- one for Hindus, another for Muslims and the third for Nirmohi Akhara, a Hindu sect and an original litigant in the case.

http://www.sify.com/news/sc-stays-a...-and-suprising-news-national-lfjnfyhbdif.html

A.V. likes this.
  3. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Let's say 2/3 for Hindus and 1/3 for Muslims

4. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

A request to our honorable judges, kindly give the verdict quickly. This case has been going on for ages. Everyone is bored of it. Very few people care about it anymore. Its a small piece of land anyways.

5. Oracle

Oracle New Member

:yawn: What is it about? :yawn:

6. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

The land belonged to the state before any temple and mosque was there....let the State confiscate the land and make a football ground/school/hospital/army camp/husing complex for slum dewellers/...anything. But plz nomore land for Bhagwan or Allah...they have already occupied a lot of lands in our country...

anoop_mig25 and A.V. like this.
  7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Which state do you refer to?

8. Oracle

Oracle New Member

:pound: :pound:

9. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

That piece of land,like the rest of this country belonged to the civilizational state,of which Hindus are the rightful and sole custodians and as such the cause of justice must be served and the entire land must be restored back to the Hindu society and all assistance must be rendered to ensure the Hindus can practice their faith without fear or discrimination.Hopefully the SC will take forward its observation and restore the land to Hindus without subjecting it to any bifurcation,which is nothing short of adding insult to injustice.

Scorpion, A.V. and A chauhan like this.
  10. ganesh177

ganesh177 Regular Member

What is strange and surprising in it really ?

And which verdict is now SC going to give which wont surprise either side ?

11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

This will add more communal tension. Why bother about a piece of land centuries old? If that is historically important for Hindus, then the same is for Muslims.

Sabir is right, let a mall or a community center, children's park or any other structure of collective activity be built there.

I do believe you were sarcastic S.A.T.A :D

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  12. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

The bold portion, I am getting a feeling that this is what is going to happen.

13. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Might be.

How many times would you go there to offer Pujas, if that indeed comes out to be true? And how different it would be, than to perform a Puja in your house? Will God listen to you more there?

Isn't it worthwhile, that we unanimously vote for say a Children's park there? Kids are so glued to cartoons and x-box these days. It would do the children some good.

14. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

LOL .. very accurate actually. But sadly the state itself is not detested from playing the dirty politics of religion and vote banks.
    Regardless of what the TV show debaters, forum debaters and politicians say - the local parties in Ayodhya should sit together and resolve the issue with a result free from religious quagmire. Like already said - a sports complex.
    Contesting our respective religious claims would only worsten the situation. On whatever side be it, if the end result is religious in any kind, it'll cut permanent wounds to millions of people in this country. We may be right or wrong, but are we ready to pay such a price to prove it?

India is a place where you could find temple or mosqueue right in the middle of the road. And no administration dares to touch it.

Regards,
    Virendra

15. nitesh

No it is not worthwhile, to build a children's park. To be blunt, I find this idea kind of m0r0nic to say at least. This is akin to running from the truth. I have belief in SC, I am sure they willl come with better judgement

16. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Running away from the truth. You do have a point there.

Well I guess, we will never be satisfied with SC's decision even.

17. nitesh

Yes, you are right mate, some people will not be happy with the decision, but this is the way it is going to be. Let's hope for the best

18. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

If a community must be prevented from conducting its religious affairs, guaranteed upon honor by the state,to ensure communal peace,there is something problematic with such a peace,neither is such peace desirable or even sustainable.The historical nature of this religious dispute is precisely the reason why it must be settled within the ambit of historical justice, for which we waged our war of independence.The nature of the historical injustice meted out to the Hindus in this country by historical entities,be they Europeans or Mohammedans,are not historically dissimilar,rather- undoing acts historical injustice is the true measure of delivering freedom.What is the use of freedom,of whatever form and expression,if it cannot undo historical injustice which inflicts itself upon my present freedom to express my religion in the manner that is befitting to my spiritual values.

This is true test of India's democratic credentials,We can only strengthen it by restoring to the Hindus their religious freedom, in every sense of the word.

Scorpion and A.V. like this.
  19. Virendra

I'm not saying Hindus are right or for that matter Muslims. But whatever be the result, bloody people don't understand man !!
    I don't want permanent wrinkles in the face of this nation and I don't see how the society could escape the grip of divisive dirty politics to come at terms with an honorable result of religious nature if it may be.

Regards,
    Virendra

20. Dark_Prince

Dark_Prince Regular Member

Bro, I will agree to your call only if all temples, mosques and chrches in this country are conveterd into community centers, followed by Kaba and Vatican (Jerusalem, Nazereth, Bethlehem)!!

If that is acceptable to abrahimicals, then shall be lord Ram's birthplace a football ground!! ;)

ganesh177 likes this.
  21. Virendra

Not on every such place did we have such cases of there being a temple at one time and mosque at another, on the same piece of land. I believe you can't apply this yardstick to all of them.

Regards,
    Virendra