Sanatan Dharma - By a Spiritual Atheist

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The fight of Religious Supremacy is going on for a few millennium and will continue to do so unless human beings evolve.

Me, being born in a Bengali Hindu household, where my father and wife are devout religious people, my mother and brother agnostic, I turned out to be a Spiritual Atheist.

What or why a Spiritual Atheist? Hope I can explain it:

Do I believe in god as they are worshiped? No.
Do I respect the concept/philosophy behind religion? Yes.
Do I follow the rituals of any religion? No.
Do I have faith? Yes
Do I have faith in Gods as they are perceived today? No
Do I have faith in the people who worship the gods? Yes
Do I believe that Gods created Human Beings? No
Do I believe that Human Beings created God? Yes

My father taught me God is good. Everything good that happens in our lives are due to our faith in god. My mother taught me that there cannot possibly be a god as today there is more evil in this world as good.

So I decided to introspect and understand what religion is and what role does it play in mankind. I read (concised versions of course, I am not that old) Gita, Ved, Quran, Torah, Bible and with my pea brain told me that If you skip the literal connotation of religious texts, you will find that more or less all religions say the same thing...

The following is what I understood of Sanatan Dharma with respect to other religions:

Sanatan Dharma (which people call Hinduism) is a philosophy which talks about 1 supreme god, Parmatma, who is pure energy, the source of life and existence. Some observations state that Parmatma is the singularity, just a moment before Big Bang, from which the universe took shape.

Religion is made by man, so is influenced by the social, cultural and economic situation of the time when the religious texts were written. As with every religion, the true philosophy gets lost and what remains are the rituals and distorted derivations.

If you understand the philosophy of any religion, all of them are the same. All of them acts as a guide for a man to live life in the best possible way.

Now, a thing which was good 14,000 or 1,400 years ago, may or may not be acceptable today. Still, those who follow religion will ask you to follow the same rituals today.

Brahma, Vishnu, Maheshwar... the 3 main gods of Sanatan Dharma are the personification of the 3 stages of life... Birth, life & death... creator, sustainer & destroyer. Forget the godly perceptions like many hands and many heads (which are just visual metaphors for common man to understand deep philosophy), the legends will tell you of 3 ideal men who by there deeds (Karma) elevated themselves to a godly stature.

If you see past the metaphors, you will see that every age of mankind has a Brahma (some leader who creates a good soceity), a Vishnu (a leader who sustains society and takes it forward), and a Maheshwar/Shiva (a leader who brings about a revolution in society once the society becomes the epitome of decadence)

All the millions of gods that Hinduism is known by are just such men and women who have risen above their society and led the society to better days. As with any legend, with time there comes lots of exaggeration.

For example: You hear of a man many hundreds of years ago, who was very observant, had a very analytically mind, and had awesome foresight. You cannot believe that such capability is humanly possible. So you think of him as a god with 3 heads, one of which stares at the past, one which stares at the present and one which stares at the future, and he is the god of time who can see the past, present and future like the pages of a book.

So you might understand that gods never fight with each other, it is humans who do not understand the concept of god, fights with each other. Gods did not create caste system, humans did. Gods did not create difference in society, humans did.

Please feel free to discuss... :)

@pmaitra @Bhadra @Razor @Kunal Biswas and others...

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

God is pantheistic. It is one, but many. It is infinite, and manifest everywhere, in small or large capacities.

I also agree with LB, and I am quoting him from another discussion:
No. One reality, not one "god". Your concept of "god" is completely different from the Dharmic concept of "god"
The concept of G/god is not the same in Dharmic and Abrahamic religion. The religions might have similarities, but are different.

pmaitra

Maya is more like a haze created by Hindu religious teachers when they failed to explain a lot of questions that came up.
Well said. Not sure whether I agree entirely, but that does open a very interesting thought process.

Every religion, always has this concept of a "Magic Wand" that is waved whenever something cannot be explained.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
God as a personification of infinity & eternity... Isn't it the same as the Abrahamic God?

God is pantheistic. It is one, but many. It is infinite, and manifest everywhere, in small or large capacities.

I also agree with LB, and I am quoting him from another discussion:

The concept of G/god is not the same in Dharmic and Abrahamic religion. The religions might have similarities, but are different.

tramp

Well said. Not sure whether I agree entirely, but that does open a very interesting thought process.

Every religion, always has this concept of a "Magic Wand" that is waved whenever something cannot be explained.
The concept of 'sin' is something similar, though not analogous. Imagine being told you are born a sinner and all your life you have work towards your redemption!! It is true for the concept of Karma.

pmaitra

God as a personification of infinity & eternity... Isn't it the same as the Abrahamic God?
The Abrahamic god tells his disciples that they should have no other god before him (this is probably an introduction into the scriptures when Christianity was spreading in Europe). It is polytheistic, but tells them that one god is more important than the other gods. It is exclusive. Dharmic gods are all inclusive in one. Very different.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I find the analogy of Maya in 2 things...

1) The quantum theoretical Physics (Theory of Everything)
2) The theory of relativity (non-absolution)

Maya is more like a haze created by Hindu religious teachers when they failed to explain a lot of questions that came up.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
[video=youtube_share;p_2s65RbSdw]http://youtu.be/p_2s65RbSdw[/video]

tramp

I find the analogy of Maya in 2 things...

1) The quantum theoretical Physics (Theory of Everything)
2) The theory of relativity (non-absolution)
That is sheer obfuscation.... very contrived and a desperate attempt to hold on to something you were taught as a child and you accepted without questioning.

JBH22

The Abrahamic god tells his disciples that they should have no other god before him (this is probably an introduction into the scriptures when Christianity was spreading in Europe). It is polytheistic, but tells them that one god is more important than the other gods. It is exclusive. Dharmic gods are all inclusive in one. Very different.
In short its only the Hindus who say whatever you pray if you do it in truthful way you are on right path. As to other faiths you get bombed for being an infidel :)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Not really... just curiosity.

I try to find logic and reason behind religion to understand the philosophy behind them. Why the things are said that are said.

It is an accepted fact that ancient civilizations knew much more than we do today... in certain aspects.

That is sheer obfuscation.... very contrived and a desperate attempt to hold on to something you were taught as a child and you accepted without questioning.

tramp

Not really... just curiosity.

I try to find logic and reason behind religion to understand the philosophy behind them. Why the things are said that are said.

It is an accepted fact that ancient civilizations knew much more than we do today... in certain aspects.
Accepted by whom? No quarrels if you say the individual of an ancient civilization knew much more about the nature around him/her than an individual of our civilization. Then again it would depend on what your concept of knowledge per se is.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I can give you many sources once I am back at home. For now please read about the millimetric accuracy of the layout of the Great pyramid of Giza with respect to the constellations.

And this video as shared in this forum
[video=youtube_share;BxRQON5_shI]http://youtu.be/BxRQON5_shI[/video]

I do not accept all of them to be true... But I am open to the possibility of them to be true.

Accepted by whom? No quarrels if you say the individual of an ancient civilization knew much more about the nature around him/her than an individual of our civilization. Then again it would depend on what your concept of knowledge per se is.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
@arnabmit

What or why a Spiritual Atheist? Hope I can explain it:

Do I believe in god as they are worshiped? No.
Do I respect the concept/philosophy behind religion? Yes.
Do I follow the rituals of any religion? No.
Do I have faith? Yes
Do I have faith in Gods as they are perceived today? No
Do I have faith in the people who worship the gods? Yes
Do I believe that Gods created Human Beings? No
Do I believe that Human Beings created God? Yes
I am confused over your faith :confused: (it appeared contradicting to me, no offense) if you have faith then you are not an atheist !?

let me simplify it "Do you believe in God??"

On topic,

Gods did not create caste system, humans did. Gods did not create difference in society, humans did.
Agreed!

So far as I understand religion and the existence of God are two different things, people who follow rigid and inflexible religions mix these two things and they create problems; which shouldn't be mixed. If you follow Sanatan Dharma then you are free to criticize the religion and the God, while in others you can't.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I do not believe in god that the religion states, that is supposed to have created the universe and who is supposed to mediate in mundane lives of living beings.

I have faith in the philosophy or rather ideology that gave birth to religion.

Confusing, isn't it? :)

@arnabmit

I am confused over your faith :confused: (it appeared contradicting to me, no offense) if you have faith then you are not an atheist !?

pmaitra

@arnabmit

I don't mean to answer on behalf of @arnabmit, but let's pretend for a moment you asked me the question.

I'd say that I have faith in destiny, nature, or the concept of karma, i.e. if you do good/bad, the results will be good/bad. Theism is about believing in the existence of G/god/s. Atheism is about not believing in the existence of G/god/s. Take for example the Buddhists. They do believe in the teachings of Buddha, but Buddha himself was silent on the existence of G/god/s, so the Buddhists today could be both theists or atheists, but all have faith in Buddhism, i.e. teachings of The Buddha.

My perception.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Couldn't have put it better myself... :)

I don't mean to answer on behalf of @arnabmit, but let's pretend for a moment you asked me the question.

I'd say that I have faith in destiny, nature, or the concept of karma, i.e. if you do good/bad, the results will be good/bad. Theism is about believing in the existence of G/god/s. Atheism is about not believing in the existence of G/god/s. Take for example the Buddhists. They do believe in the teachings of Buddha, but Buddha himself was silent on the existence of G/god/s, so the Buddhists today could be both theists or atheists, but all have faith in Buddhism, i.e. teachings of The Buddha.

My perception.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
There can be many types of spiritual atheists. I too am a spiritual atheist. What is meant by "spiritual" as far as I'm concerned is a belief in something greater than just the material world we perceive around us. I cannot prove this belief through the scientific method, because it is based on experiences in my life which I think cannot be explained purely by chance.

I believe in fate/destiny. I do not believe in God. Nor do I believe in Karma. I do however, believe in a supernatural "evil" force, which is manifested through freak events/tragedies to genocides, and I believe we must resist and fight this force throughout our lives.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles