Saina Nehwal beats Chinese opposition

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by EnlightenedMonk, Jun 21, 2009.

1. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Saina Nehwal beats Chinese opposition

Saina Nehwal wins Indonesia Super Series title | Top News | Reuters

3. ZOOM

ZOOM Founding Member

Congratulations to Sania Nehwal for its extraordinary feat in glorifying the name of this country. I guess, media must give enough coverage to showcase her true potential to the entire nation and clarfiy various misconseption among the people about India's athletics ability to context on world stage.

4. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

Yes, and also cut Sania Mirza down to size... she get too much media for doing absolutely nothing... she only won junior Wimbledon some 347 years ago and has been resting on her laurels after that...

Give Saina a few awards but don't make her a "Queen" like Sania Mirza, keep her rooted to the ground and I'm sure she has many years of service for the nation...

5. Arjak

Arjak Respected Member

Congrats to saina nehwal.........

6. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Congratulaton to Saina and also I agree with Monk here, Sania Mirza draws attention more than she deserves where Saina is Silent performer.

Regards

7. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

[​IMG]
    AFP – India's ace shuttler Saina Nehwal waves the Indian flag at the medal ceremony in Jakarta. Nehwal …

India's Saina Nehwal wins Indonesian Open singles

2 hrs 46 mins ago

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AFP) – Indian ace shuttler Saina Nehwal beat China's world number three Wang Lin to become the first Indian to win a super series badminton tournament with victory in the Indonesian Open Sunday.

Nehwal took the women's singles crown by beating Wang 12-21, 21-18, 21-9 to take the title and the 18,750-dollar prize.

"This is great... I never expected to win," said Nehwal, who is ranked eighth in the world and was seeded sixth in the tournament.

Nehwal capitalised on Wang's fatigue and wavering confidence in the final set after outlasting her counterpart in the longer rallies, sealing the match with a powerful jumping smash in front of a 7,000-strong crowd.

India's Saina Nehwal wins Indonesian Open singles - Yahoo! News

8. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Congrats Saina! She is talented and more importantly forcussed unlike our celebrity Sania. She is more intrested in ads and fashion than in her game. She always has some injury or the other and when she does play, she exits in second round(if not first round).

I think media glorified Sania becoz India lacked any tennis star, media thought that Sania could fill that gap, but alas that was not the case. Infact, the undeserving laurels placed on her ruined her game and head.

Saina Nehwal, fortunately, was not bestowed unreasonable media attention and that has only helped her. We already know what happens when media hypes up the players, Indian cricket teams tryst with world cup 20/20 this month is example of how the media attention is harmful. The same had happened in 2007 50 over world cup. So, media should stop hyping up people for their TRPs, otherwise many budding players would get spoiled.

9. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Johnee, I think Media thought her to fill the gap of a Female Tennis start, and gave her unnecessary limelight, such as her walking in the ramp, and it was disgusting Media highlighted her nose ring rather her performance, and that also veered her focus. Other way, I am agree that Saina is lucky not to have such kind of limelight, and have continuity in her performance.

Regards

10. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Saina wins Indonesian Open

Saina creates history

[​IMG]

June 21, 2009

Ace woman shuttler Saina Nehwal on Sunday scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament after she clinched the Indonesian Open title with a stunning victory over higher ranked Chinese Lin Wang in Jakarta. Saina clinched her maiden Super Series title beating Wang 12-21, 21-18, 21-9 in an edge-of-the-seat thriller that lasted 49 minutes.

Her triumph is the best ever performance by any Indian woman and at par with All England Championship titles won by Prakash Padukone and her current coach Pullela Gopichand. In the thrilling final, world number eight Saina came from behind to outsmart world number three Wang and avenge her last week's Singapore Open Super Series loss to the same rival. Photo: AP

Saina took time to get into the groove as she struggled to gauge the gameplan of Wang in the first game. Wang opened a 4-9 lead and rode on her smashes and better net play o pocket the first game as Saina was left to do the catch up act. But the Indian ace rallied her way back in the second game. Saina levelled the score at 5-5 and then moved together with her Chinese rival till 17-17 before surging ahead to pocket the second game 21-18.

[​IMG]

In the decider, Saina was in her attacking best besides displaying better nerves in crucial moments. After moving neck and neck till 7-7, Saina went berserk by engaging her rival in soft dribble and net play to widen the gap at 15-9 before reeling off six straight points to seal her place in history.

Hailing Saina's victory as an important milestone in Indian badminton, Badminton Association of India announced a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh as a recognition of her feat. "It is a big moment in Indian badminton. It is a moment to cherish for Indian sports. We are proud of her achievement. We are announcing a cash reward of Rs two lakhs as an acknowledgment of Saina's hard work and achievement," BAI president V K Verma said.

Saina Nehwal wins Indonesian Open- Indiatimes: Picture Story

11. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

The girl is fantastic. Kudos.

12. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

10 Questions

Wow! You beat the Chinese at their game.

I’m still surprised how it all happened. I had lost the first game to Li, and in the second set, we were locked at 17-17. I was nervous, but grit and determination kept me going and I won the set by 19-21. This buoyed my confidence in the third set which was vital for the win.

Was this your best game ever?

I can’t say. However, my most memorable game was in the Olympics QF where I lost.

Both your parents are badminton champions so you must have begun early.

I had been visiting badminton courts with my parents ever since I was an infant. While they were playing, I was made to sleep in the corner for hours. I learnt to handle a racquet at five and by nine I was fully into the game.

You seem to lead a very austere life unlike other teenagers.

I took up badminton like a medical student would take up his or her studies.

At 19, you’ve conquered great heights. What’s your ultimate aim?

To go still further. I never thought I would achieve it so early. In ’06, at 16, I won the Philippines Grand Prix Gold, which is also a record.

What do you enjoy apart from badminton?

I’m an SRK fan. I watch his movies.

Is sponsorship a problem for badminton players in India?

For me it’s like god’s gift, but there are players who face sponsorship issues. Corporate houses must come forward and help such players.

Did you ever think of playing another sport?

No. My first love is badminton. I’m often asked why I didn’t try tennis. Training in tennis is too expensive compared to badminton.

Who are your role models?

Gopichand and Roger Federer.

Any plans for the world championships in Hyderabad in August?

More hard work with utmost dedication. Rest is up to the almighty.