Sachin Tendulkar retires from One Day Internationals

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If you are rich and famous and by doing charity you can get others to do so too, then need to shout more.

For eg. Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have inspired many millionaires and billionaires.
Publicity????

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Old video on Sachin

Must watch!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sachin refused millions offered by liquor/tobaco companies for commercial adverts.

Salman Khan took lives of civilians by crushing them beneath his SUV & broke numerous other laws before coming up with charity to repair his image.

He is the last person if to be compared with Sachin.

Sachin worked from the level of ballboy till today before being called God of Cricket.
I understand your defence of Tendulkar.

Even though I dislike Bal Tackeray, I will not forget what he said wherein he claimed that Tendulkar was a kanjoos who gave nothing to charity from his own money, but gave a bat with his signature which was auctioned by those who took that bat.

Salman, on the other hand, gives his OWN money.

Tendulkar, did not pay taxes for the car he was given till there was a hue and cry and I still don't know if he has paid or was allowed to retain it. Have you ever been allowed to import anything free? Even if you win a prize in a competition, you still have to pay 33% tax. Why should you have to pay and not Tendulkar? Is Tendulkar not a citizen as much as you are?

He has gleefully accepted the Rajya Sabha membership, knowing fully well that he will not be able to do justice to the job and thereby waste a seat where a better person who would participate could have filled? But no,. the RS membership is good for the image and prestige apart from the perks and pelf. That much for his dedication to democracy!

He may not endorse for the liquor and the tobacco industry. What is so great about that? As the English saying goes - what you lose on the roundabouts, you make uip on the swings.

If he is such a moralist, then does he endorse products and use them religiously? The rider being, by paying for them and not as gifts?

No sir, morality is not the bottomline. Money is!

What's so great about excelling in sports starting as a ball boy or at the lowest level?

Are you aware the most of the top golfers of India and international were caddies?

In politics, Modi was a teaboy!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sachin the legend retires. No doubt media pressure must have put him in an untenable position.
You feel that he is still on the ball?

The mdia was on him long ago.

He took leave of absence and then when he was sure, he surfaced and did well too!

How the facts are too strong and he still did not want to go.

Maybe the selectors who are the one who have succumbed to media pressure and told Tendulkar to read the tea leaves!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes..... I am surprised the capitalist philanthropist in you cannot understand this :troll:
I don't have money for publicity seeking philanthropy.
Bill Gates got publicity for MS. I mean people will get into buying genuine windows thinking the owner does good work!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I appreciate good cricket all round. I had a tear when Lara, Steve Waugh and many such great retired. Rest I don't agree. Indira = India and the rest is not for me.
Do you think I am happy the way Tendulkar has to go?

Never.

He is today the greatest cricketer and he is an INDIAN.

However, his silly way to doggedly hanging on till the sky fell on him, is hardly a way for a legend to go.

He is, as should always be, a LEGEND.

More than him, I feel the loss.

He has left a ch.ink in his armour and the foreign press will have a field day and do his greatness down to show that Don Bradman was the greatest and not Tendulkar. (silly auto correcting of chi,nk when used in an English statement and with no allusion to a Chinese)

That is what saddens me most.

His greatness will be done down by smart and crooked analysis to lift some idiot westerner as the best.

Already, there is much of hoohah about how Kallis (if that was the name I read) is a great Joe!

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I understand your defence of Tendulkar.

Even though I dislike Bal Tackeray, I will not forget what he said wherein he claimed that Tendulkar was a kanjoos who gave nothing to charity from his own money, but gave a bat with his signature which was auctioned by those who took that bat.

Salman, on the other hand, gives his OWN money.
He is not dead yet. May be more charity will come. I don't see a reason to be impatient to have his money in society when more responsible people are given free pass !

Tendulkar, did not pay taxes for the car he was given till there was a hue and cry and I still don't know if he has paid or was allowed to retain it. Have you ever been allowed to import anything free? Even if you win a prize in a competition, you still have to pay 33% tax. Why should you have to pay and not Tendulkar? Is Tendulkar not a citizen as much as you are?
It was Government which waived off the duty in the first place using its discretionary powers. Then govt came under pressure & amended the law. Fiat company which had gifted the car to Sachin paid the Entire duty to GOI.

He has gleefully accepted the Rajya Sabha membership, knowing fully well that he will not be able to do justice to the job and thereby waste a seat where a better person who would participate could have filled? But no,. the RS membership is good for the image and prestige apart from the perks and pelf. That much for his dedication to democracy!
RS seats are not contested so there is no question of determining who is more deserving in comparative analysis. The purpose of RS itself is to give representation to people from diverse background. Asking him not to accept or reject what is offered to him is intrusion to his personal rights. No one can do that.

He may not endorse for the liquor and the tobacco industry. What is so great about that? As the English saying goes - what you lose on the roundabouts, you make uip on the swings.

If he is such a moralist, then does he endorse products and use them religiously? The rider being, by paying for them and not as gifts?

No sir, morality is not the bottomline. Money is!
The example was sighted to signify that he refused huge chunk of money which he could have easily grabbed if to accept notion that he is working only for money. I guess it has served the purpose.

What's so great about excelling in sports starting as a ball boy or at the lowest level?

Are you aware the most of the top golfers of India and international were caddies?
Great thing is that the person has worked up his way to top by starting to work from most bottom. That talks about hard-work & restless ambition. It is great in my books.

In politics, Modi was a teaboy!
Indeed, but his rise from teaboy to potential contender to Prime Minister of India is commendable & he does deserve credit for that hard work.

Last edited:

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
History!

Gavaskar also scored hegs of a lot too!

But he knew when to go!

And he went on his own calling and not after people indirectly bayed for his blood or doubted his usefulness to Indian cricket!
Kapil Dev fits the bill of your yoke!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Do you think I am happy the way Tendulkar has to go?

Never.

He is today the greatest cricketer and he is an INDIAN.

However, his silly way to doggedly hanging on till the sky fell on him, is hardly a way for a legend to go.

He is, as should always be, a LEGEND.

More than him, I feel the loss.

He has left a ch.ink in his armour and the foreign press will have a field day and do his greatness down to show that Don Bradman was the greatest and not Tendulkar. (silly auto correcting of chi,nk when used in an English statement and with no allusion to a Chinese)

That is what saddens me most.

His greatness will be done down by smart and crooked analysis to lift some idiot westerner as the best.

Already, there is much of hoohah about how Kallis (if that was the name I read) is a great Joe!
WG Grace played till he was 65!!

Sachin has passion for cricket and thinks he can perform.

The decision to retire from ODI was something I expected soon after the world cup. But I thought he would play one last series as farewell. I really hope he plays against the Pakis now that we are really playing them, smashes them to all corners, scores a couple of hundreds and lifts his bat while leaving the field for the last time in an ODI for India while teary eyed fans giving him a standing ovation that he deserves.

Gosh my eyes are moist writing this!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Guess what?

Everyone has passion for what one does well.

But then age and circumstance catches up.

Rajesh Khanna had a great passion for acting in films.

But then, the circumstances did not allow his passion to translate into films.

And Rajesh Khanna was no pushover either!

Take the case of Yuvraj Singh and his passion and the circumstances that he is facing!

What a great fighter and what a chap!

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Guess what?

Everyone has passion for what one does well.

But then age and circumstance catches up.

Rajesh Khanna had a great passion for acting in films.

But then, the circumstances did not allow his passion to translate into films.

And Rajesh Khanna was no pushover either!
As long as one has the ability and can perform well he can go on. we cannot compare actor with cricketer.
Sachin's record just the last year or so may not be good but still he deserves an extended run for what he has done for 20 years. Add to this,India is yet to find a worthy successor in his place. The test series has shown that Indias middle order is really fragile and An youngster who have Come in au not up to scratch .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yusuf.

You are an actor.

Business of selling a product is also acting and convincing.

If you think acting is a cakewalk, take another guess.

I say so, because I have been in the field of cricket and acting.

Both are difficult to sustain.

Will sat goodbye to this thread since I stopped taking interest in cricket ever since I came to know that fixing is a part of the show.

Let Tendulkar carry on even in old age with crutches.

I will only look at the headlines and feel sorry for India getting thrashed in the only field that they excelled.

Hockey which was ours for the taking, has long been lost.

Maybe we should introduce gulli danda in the Olympics so that some limelight visits India.

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
He will be missed but he was past his prime and its a right decision to retire from ODIs. He should follow suit with Tests as well.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar's decision to retire from the ODI format was taken over the "last 72 hours" though he formally informed the BCCI only last night.Profile:-Sachin Ramesh TendulkarAccording to a source close to the cricketer, the eventual decision was taken in the last three days with BCCI president N Srinivasan being informed only last night."Once he was back in Mumbai after the Nagpur Test, he switched off his cell phone and became incommunicado for at least three days. The only possible way to contact him was through Anjali's (wife) number as he wanted some time to himself," a very close friend of Tendulkar said on condition of anonymity."By Friday night, he had intimated his family and close group of friends that he wants to quit from ODIs. Accordingly, he informed BCCI president N Srinivasan last night about his decision to retire from ODIs making it clear that he doesn't want to play in the ODIs against Pakistan," the source added.There are strong indications that Tendulkar would start his preparations for the four-match Test series against Australia by playing in Mumbai's final Ranji Trophy group league game against Gujarat to be played in Mumbai from December 29-January 1.Asked about the retirement from Test cricket, the source added, "Any decision regarding that will be only taken after he assesses his performance against Australians. The four Test against Aussies will make it 198 Tests and if he does well, he might just think about going to South Africa to complete 200 Tests."Earlier, BCCI secretary Sanjay Jagdale said ,"It was not sudden. He informed us before the selection about his decision.""He spoke to me and the president about his decision. Naturally he must have been (emotional) I can't say we just spoke on the phone.""What he has expressed is his concern that India has to prepare for the next World Cup," the BCCI's chief administrative officer Ratnakar Shetty added. "From that point of view, he felt that it was time that he retired."

Sachin Tendulkar's decision to quit ODIs was taken in last 72 hours - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
MUMBAI: Leading news magazine Time eulogized Sachin Tendulkar as one in front of whom time appeared to have stood frozen. The champion batsman announced his retirement from one-day internationals (ODIs) on Sunday.Profile:-Sachin TendulkarIn its tribute to the Indian batting great, the news magazine said: "It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will.""When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race an F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, (and) Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam," Time was quoted as saying on its website."When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to 'open' the Nehruvian economy."Tendulkar who has scored 18,426 runs in 463 ODI matches would continue to play the Test format. He scored 49 centuries and 96 fifties in the shorter format -- and was the first batsman to score a double-century in an ODI.Tendulkar made his debut as a 16-year-old in a Test match in Karachi Nov 15, 1989 while he played his first ODI against Pakistan in Gujranwala Dec 18, 1989.The master blaster figured on the cover of Time magazine in May this year for the editions in the Indian subcontinent, Singapore and Australia and New Zealand after he completed a century of tons in international cricket.

Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar: Time magazine - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
RELATED

Sachin Tendulkar retires from ODIsSome interesting facts about Sachin TendulkarFive memorable ODI knocks of Sachin TendulkarPost your reactions to Sachin's retirement from ODIsCompliments and surprise as Tendulkar quits ODIsMUMBAI:-Sourav Ganguly, once part of the formidable opening partnership with-Sachin Tendulkar-in the limited overs format, today supported the latter's decision to retire from the-ODI-cricket but thought the senior India batsman would have played the series against-Pakistan.-"I felt that he might have played the series against Pakistan. But it is his decision and I think it is the right. There was a doubt on whether he would play ODI cricket or not. But I am not surprised by his decision. He has done what he thought was right," said Ganguly.-The pair of Tendulkar and Ganguly scored 26 hundred-plus partnerships in ODIs. Of these, 21 century stands were for the opening wicket. Both of these happen to be world records.-He, along with Ganguly, had been involved in 38 hundred-plus partnerships in international cricket (all three forms combined) which is a world record. The 12,400 runs scored by this pair is also a world record.-Ganguly said no one from the national selectors could have asked Tendulkar to retire from the ODI cricket.-"I don't think there was any pressure of selectors on him. It is his own decision. No one can drop him," Ganguly added.-Tendulkar today announced his retirement from ODIs, bringing to an end a-glorious-23-year-old career in the format during which he rewrote numerous batting records.-Tendulkar goes out after amassing 18,426 runs in 463 one-dayers at an average of 44.83. The diminutive right-hander has an-astonishing-49 hundreds in the format, including a double hundred -- the first in this form of the game.

No one can drop Tendulkar, says Ganguly - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
the gravity of the decision is sinking in only now. I am getting Goosebumps & very moist eyes.

we will not see Sachin in color clothes for India again

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Well done media crooks !! you have tortured and forced this great player to take retirement before his time, while this great player still has caliber to play some great scores. :dude:

But I :salute: SIR Sachin Tendulkar :salute: thanks for everything you have done for us!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles