Russia’s MiG-41 Interceptor Aircraft to Be ‘Absolutely New Jet’

lcafanboy

Country flag
Russia’s MiG-41 Interceptor Aircraft to Be ‘Absolutely New Jet’
Published August 23, 2017 SOURCE: Russian Aviaton

Supplies of Russia’s MiG-41 interceptor aircraft, known earlier as the PAK DP, will begin in the mid-2020s, Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG Director General Ilya Tarasenko told reporters at the Army-2017 forum Tuesday.

According him, MiG-41 will be an “absolutely new jet,” not a modernized version of MiG-31 it would replace.

“The PAK DP is a logical development of our MiG-31 aircraft. Once contacted by the Defense Ministry, we will take up this project closely and I think that its deliveries will begin in the mid-2020s,” Tarasenko said.

There is not very much known about the MiG-41 because everything about this plane, just like with all top modern military projects, remains classified. The Mikoyan bureau has been working on the design of a long-range interceptor, based on their MiG-31, since 2013 as part of a plan to replace the ageing fleet of MiG-31 fighter jets whose active service life expires in 2028.

Even though the MiG-31 is the fastest military aircraft around, it will eventually have to make way for newer and more advanced types of aircraft.

The main features of the MiG-41 are not yet known, but it is reported that the MiG-41 is designed to fly at Mach 4.0 and even Mach 4.3.

http://idrw.org/russias-mig-41-interceptor-aircraft-to-be-absolutely-new-jet/ .

lcafanboy

Country flag

Bahamut

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
It's barely in the conceptual phase and therefore "mid-2020s" seems optimistic. More like ca. 2030, perhaps.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
They are planning it as a unmanned 6 gen fighter which will be full autonomous
Why should it be "unmanned"??

Fully Autonomous, by which you mean AI??

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
What are the g-limits interceptor aircrafts need??
A trained pilot is now expected to endure accelerations of up to 9-g without blacking out by using a g-suit in combination with anti-g strain techniques. However up to 12-g for a few seconds is sustainable but there are very few instances where one pulls 12-g or above in aircraft. Jets such as the F-15, F-16, F/A-18, EF , SU-30 and the Rafale can sustain high g loads up to 9-g, though anything above this threshold will have an adverse effect not only on the airframe but the pilot too.

Here's an F-22 pulling 9-G in minimum radius turn in a tight horizontal 360......

Last edited:

su30mki2017

Country flag
Fake design photo, the design has not been finalized i will post concepts below note the engine placements mig 41 is not going single aircraft but a family of aircraft

No design has been finalized yet , given the state of Russian economy i doubt they can produce THE "Perspective Aviation Air Defense Complex"

Chinmoy

Country flag
Seems Mig is trying to recreate SR-71. With whatever the pics are suggesting, it does have scramjet engine. Most probably it would overcome the challenges of SR-71 with dual propulsion system. Countering a Mach 4 speed should not be a challenge for pilots with the evolving G-Suit. Even pilots had made flight at Mach 3 speed in 70's.

Flame Thrower

If I remember correctly, I heard about Mig 41 in late 2014 early 2015 timelines.

First question came to my mind is what is the use of Mack 4 fighter.

Sure, it can evade existing missile but, does it worth the cost of development, training, operation costs and the numbers!!

I don't think so, instead of MiG 41, if the funds are diverted to modernize RuAF, then it would be great.

Well, even the financial status of Russia is not good enough.

Let's see how things go.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles