Russians Give Indian Navy Big MiG-29K Induction Troubles

A.V.

U can't expect us to order 30 more Mig-29k essentially whose production would commence after 24 mig-29k for Russia. If the Su-27k could last only 25 years from 1992-2016 in naval version, the mig-29 which was built to be a cheaper alternative of lower procurement cost, easy replacement during wartime, too many engine changes during its lifetime, capability of RD-33 to withstand corrrosion the way F414 can is questionable, the plane has had structural faults that grounded the entire land fleet more than once which would be exaberated by salt water and the abysmal record of support with IAF.

the plane was ordered to get the boat for free and that basic deal itself has been proven to be a train wreck of problems. If someone could release these wikileaksski documents from the Russians embassies throughiut the world, the rot could be exposed. Mig is in no solid ground financially than the state of Somalia is, its order book is predominantly upgrading mig-29 that are still in thousands around the world. in the future 2020 and beyond it will be providing spares for mig-29 and mig-29k and manufacturing maybe wingtips for pakfa. How could u honestly expect us to cast our lot with this company namely Mikoyan guruveich ??
The indian follow uo order is already signed i guess , so no more going back

rest the ship deal the less i say the better , why has GOI never opened it mouth ever on the ship deal , why is always the media crying out , what is fish ask GOI to open their mouth and i am sure they wont because they know somethings which the media dosent so leave that deal

about the migs economic condition its a misnomer to say the least what u are saying is a 90 s story.

Patriot

Country flag
Naval Mig-29k develops Hydraulic failure leading to tyre burst

A Russian-made MiG-29K fighter plane, recently inducted into the Indian Navy, developed a technical problem at INS Hansa base in Goa but caused no casualties, naval officials said today.

Flag officer commanding Goa area (FOGA) Sudhir Pillai said the pilot had to apply emergency brakes on the airstrip when the error occurred, resulting in a tyre burst.

"There was a hydraulic failure of the aircraft because of which the pilot had to apply emergency brakes," Pillai told PTI.

MiG-29K is an all-weather carrier-based multi-role fighter aircraft, which is recently inducted in Indian Navy and based at INS Hansa.

He said no inquiry has been commissioned of the incident as the snag occurred due to 'technical problem'.

"Applying emergency brakes in case of hydraulic failure is a standard operating procedure," Pillai said.

http://idrw.org/?p=1719

Crusader53

Some wondered why India place a RFI for a New Naval Fighter??? Here's your answer.......

SHASH2K2

New Delhi — The Indian Defence Ministry is currently liaising with the Russian RAC-MiG Corporation to sort out a recurring problem with the newly-inducted MiG-29 K fleet. India is negotiating a price for the draft supplement agreement (DSA) with Russia to acquire equipment to resolve the problems pertaining to the MiG-29 K fleet.

As per the Indian Navy, the newly acquired MiG-29 K fleet is witnessing tyre-bursts during the use of emergency brakes. Apparently, the emergency brakes are applied when there is hydraulic failure. In addition, the emergency applications are jamming the brakes and heightening the chance of tyre skidding and tyre-bursts.

The Indian Navy has suggested that a DSA is expected to address that shortcoming. The DSA is expected to ensure supply of ground support items and spares as well as life-long serviceability. Currently, all the six MiG-29k with the Indian Navy are still under warranty.

Apparently, the DSA for the MiG-29 K has become imperative since only last week, a pilot of a MIG 29 K fighter aircraft brought the aircraft to a halt safely after the aircraft suffered a tyre burst because of hydraulic failure while landing.

The incident happened due to the technical snag while landing at INS Hansa base in Goa but caused no casualties. The pilot had to apply emergency brakes on the airstrip when the error occurred, resulting in a tyre burst. According to sources, such failures have been happening ever since the all-weather multi-role aircraft MiG-29K was inducted into the Indian Navy.
The first contract with RAC-MiG entailed 16 such aircraft for the Indian Navy. The Mig-29s, the first four of which were inducted earlier this year, were purchased by the Indian Navy as part of a $1.5 billion deal inked with Russia in January 2004 for the aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov. Of this, $740 million was meant for the aircraft and the balance for the refitting the carrier. Till the Admiral Gorshkov arrives, the aircraft will be deployed at the shore-based INS Hansa located in Goa. The Indian Navy will eventually get 12 MiG-29K single-seater aircraft and four MiG-29KUB twin-seat trainer aircraft. The second contract for an additional 29 MiG-29K was cleared by the cabinet earlier this year. The total MiG-29K fighters with the second contract will amount to 45 aircraft in the fleet.

debasree

Country flag
when any country induct a new millitary hardware there will be automatically some innitial hic cups at the time of induction dont we over reacting by the news.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No doubt there exists an anti-Russia pro-US lobby in every section of administration and media.
Another media creation.

How come the US lost out on the fighters deal?

amitkriit

US-funded media is at it again. I believe government of India has got a few good people who can take care of these irritants. Russia won't loose India for nothing.

mayfair

I thought IN were quite happy with the Ks. Desi dork media blowing up non-issues as usual?

Crusader53

Another media creation.

How come the US lost out on the fighters deal?

First, I don't believe that it did. Yet, even if it did maybe the Indian Navy plans on purchasing the F-35C, E-2 Hawkeye, etc. etc. This would spread the wealth and have some merit. Look at the Saudi Weapons purchases for example. Wouldn't be my choice but I am not the Indian Government.

Crusader53

US-funded media is at it again. I believe government of India has got a few good people who can take care of these irritants. Russia won't loose India for nothing.
The Mig-29K will not likely be in the front line for long. As a matter of fact the J-15 may exceed it's performance and that doen't even consider the PLAAF Stealthy J-20. So, expect a New Naval Fighter to come along after 2020.........

p2prada

First, I don't believe that it did. Yet, even if it did maybe the Indian Navy plans on purchasing the F-35C, E-2 Hawkeye, etc. etc. This would spread the wealth and have some merit. Look at the Saudi Weapons purchases for example. Wouldn't be my choice but I am not the Indian Government.
The E-2D, maybe. But F-35B, very little chance.

SH, no chance(it's too big). IN only wants to bring in more competition to Dassault with American involvement.

If Rafale wins the MRCA, expect it to be the numero uno choice for both Navy and secondary choice for SFC after the MKI.

p2prada

The Mig-29K will not likely be in the front line for long. As a matter of fact the J-15 may exceed it's performance and that doen't even consider the PLAAF Stealthy J-20. So, expect a New Naval Fighter to come along after 2020.........
The J-15 could be a superior platform. But the Mig-29k inductions are not meant to counter the J-15 inductions. However the Mig-29k will be our frontline fighter for the Navy.

If you are looking at after 2020 then that date will be reserved for N-FGFA and N-AMCA at a later date followed by a heavy class UCAV. We are not looking at fielding F-35Bs against the N-J-20s, perhaps J-22s. :p

JBH22

The E-2D, maybe. But F-35B, very little chance.

SH, no chance(it's too big). IN only wants to bring in more competition to Dassault with American involvement.

If Rafale wins the MRCA, expect it to be the numero uno choice for both Navy and secondary choice for SFC after the MKI.
Indian aircraft carriers aren't they STOBAR and planes like F-18 SH or Rafale are all catapult launched!!

p2prada

Indian aircraft carriers aren't they STOBAR and planes like F-18 SH or Rafale are all catapult launched!!
Yes. However it seems like IAC-2 and above will be CATOBAR if either of the aircraft are chosen. If EF or F-35 is chosen then the carriers will remain STOBAR.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles