Russian Nuclear Submarines to Resume World Patrols: Breaking News

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by JAISWAL, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JAISWAL

JAISWAL Senior Member Senior Member

Russian Nuclear Submarines to Resume World Patrols: Breaking News

[​IMG]

Russian strategic nuclear submarines will resume routine extended patrols in international waters around the world in June 2012, Russian Navy Commander Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said.

On June 1 we will resume constant patrolling of the world’s oceans by strategic nuclear submarines,” Vysotsky said at a meeting with naval personnel on Friday.

The Russian military believes, though, that the submarine fleet is still the backbone of the Russian Navy, and that it will continue to play an important deterrent role in the future.

The Russian Navy has 12 nuclear-powered strategic submarines in service, including five Delta-III class, six Delta-IV class and a Typhoon class vessels. Two Typhoon class submarines, the Arkhangelsk and the Severstal, remain in reserve at a naval base in Severodvinsk in north Russia.

Russian Navy and plans to build eight new Borey class strategic submarines until 2020. The first Borey class submarine, the Yury Dolgoruky, may join Russia’s Pacific Fleet as early as in June this year.
    Russian Strategic Subs to Resume Routine World Patrols | Defense | RIA Novosti

spikey360 likes this.
  3. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

Nobody likes to be left behind in getting limelight.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  4. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

They should first really think of modernizing Russian military forces. Russia has a lot of power but is not utilizing it in upgrading its arsenal fast. China is already modernizing at break-neck speeds and with a sparsely populated eastern Russia, they need to be all the more apprehensive about stationing modern forces in Siberia.

sesha_maruthi27 and W.G.Ewald like this.
  5. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

Patrol the World again? Hahaha! They're fast becoming a joke with their desperate attempt to bring back their old glories... they're deluding themselves. They should first make sure that their submarines are not going to explode, sink or catch fire on port...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Armand2REP, LETHALFORCE and W.G.Ewald like this.
  6. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Now that is funny. Cruel and funny. I like it.

7. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

Living in that tiny patch of land called Malaysia, nothing but a dot on the world map, you would do well to make comments which make more sense. Submarine accidents happen all the time. Just because you didn't hear about the last xyz incident involving American submarines doesn't mean that they are any safer than Russian ones. If you had any knowledge of real world systems, you would know that operating a submarine is not same as being a lapdog of the yankees and pounding away at the keyboard ridiculing every move others make.

panduranghari and The Messiah like this.
  8. spikey360

This is a good news. It is heartening to see that the Russians are slowly starting to recognize the danger of living in a pseudo-multipolar world with the US at its helm. If unchecked, NATO and the US will start doing whatever they want.
    As far as Dolgoruky is concerned, it is good to know that it will finally be pressed into service. Perhaps Russia will remain a shadow of the Soviet navy for some years to come, but that shouldn't deter it from carving out a place in the world slowly.

9. asianobserve

There are minor incidents (this is what you're referring to) and their are consistent spectacular tragedies (this is the state of the Russian submarine fleet)... Get it?

The only place it can and should carve is Russia. Certainly they're not welcome in our region.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  10. spikey360

Do you know how and why the sub caught fire? Truly speaking, only the outer rubber lining caught fire, that too from a spark during welding. The rubber layer, and the rubber layer only started burning and there were minimal if not any internal damage. If you are ready to call this a tragedy, then may the Lord help you to distinguish a mole hill from a mountain.

Your region is limited to 12 nautical miles into the sea from that patch of land you call Malaysia. Beyond that, nothing is yours. Period.

panduranghari likes this.
  11. asianobserve

Here, you read this before you start belittling my tiny speck of a country... Repair, modernization of fire-damaged sub may cost $30 mln | Russia | RIA Novosti

BTW, the submarine's hydro acoustic system has been damaged by the fire and needs to be replaced together with the "rubbers" you mentioned. I'm quiet certain there are more instruments damaged by that fire since the submarine was submerged in seawater with its gaping hole. But since it's Russia, you should know this by now, of course nobody will admit the extent of damage right? It's no surprise that present estimates for repairs puts it at around 600 to 900 million rubles.

12. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Welcome to the party, now you know why we get defensive and throw out links and statistics. We are under constant belittling on all sides.

13. asianobserve

That's regrettable. India is a rising power with a future that is relatively assured. I don't see any reason why Indians should feel that they're under siege (defensive)... In our case, we don't really have natural enemies. So we don't get belittled frequently and from all sides. The Chinese knows how not to belittle us as we have the best of them right now with trade balance in our favor.

The link I provided was not actually in defense of Malaysia (I don't see the need to be defensive), it's a Russian article on the damage and projected cost of repairs of the burned Oscar Class submarine.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  14. Armand2REP

Armand2REP CHINI EXPERT Veteran Member

The RMN seems to think there is some threat spending billions on 6 Multi-Mission Combatant Gowinds.

15. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

AsianObserve,

I wonder why Malaysia continues to show interest in Russian military hardware, if not specifically submarines?

Malaysia Receives its SU-30MKMs

Perhaps people in your country who understand defense better do not think like you do?

I think you could be decent enough to save your mockeries for Russia for the day Malaysia builds a nuclear powered submarine. In hindsight, you may carry on with whatsoever comments you please.

16. Armand2REP

I don't see it much at all. France is Malaysia's largest defence supplier.

17. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

asianobserve > chicoms

why ? he's better at it and parrots the yankee line for free.

18. Armand2REP

He hates Chicoms? I know he hates Russkies.

19. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

he hates everyone expect usa.

rafale is outdated crap infront of f16 according to asianobserve.

20. Armand2REP

I knew he was a Yank.

21. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

I regret that in my previous post I forgot what a tragedy was the loss of the Russian submarine Kursk.

Russian submarine Kursk explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia