Russian Helicopters to be assembled in India

pmaitra

^^ You're right. I could have phrased my response better. Sorry.

My point is that IA not having experience with Kamovs is a minor hurdle and they can always get assistance from IN.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Sure... Russia is a real powerhouse in helicopter technology with orders for 308 Ardiden 3G for Ka-62, 200 Arrius 2G for Ka-226T, and marketing Mi-34 with Arrius 2F. Not to mention Thales providing subsystems for all those helos including ANSAT. Why does Russia buy so many French engines? Because they are CHEAPER than the ones they make! You Russo-fans forget that Turbomeca is the WORLD LEADER in helicopter turbines so economies of scale are already achieved.

pmaitra

Sure... Russia is a real powerhouse in helicopter technology with orders for 308 Ardiden 3G for Ka-62, 200 Arrius 2G for Ka-226T, and marketing Mi-34 with Arrius 2F. Not to mention Thales providing subsystems for all those helos including ANSAT. Why does Russia buy so many French engines? Because they are CHEAPER than the ones they make! You Russo-fans forget that Turbomeca is the WORLD LEADER in helicopter turbines so economies of scale are already achieved.
I do not see anyone disagreeing with Turbomeca's supremacy in helicopter turbines except for the disagreement that you just imagined. Just to keep it on track, and record, all I said is that it is not possible for France to knock out Russian or Italian helicopters simply because they make the best engines. Russian engines aren't exactly terribly bad.

Yes, technologically, Turbomeca engines are superior (not far superior), but Russian engines are more rugged and easily serviceable. It is Russian doctrine to build rugged and easily serviceable war-machines at the cost of technological finesse. Hope that clarifies everything.

AFAIAC, I am a fan of ruggedness and easy serviceability, so if that makes me a Russo-fan, so be it.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Russian engines really are bad; they are underpowered, obsolete, unsafe, higher TBO and overpriced in their weight class. That is why they have signed license production agreements with France for more powerful, safer, lower TBO, modern, and well priced engines in large numbers that meet all EASA certification requirements. Russia still gets most of its engines/components from Ukraine so they are not even a competitor in engine technology. The attempt to move it to Russia failed which is why they have no problem going French.

France can put a clamp on Russian export hopes with export controls the same way Russia crushed Pak dreams of exporting the Thunder Blunder.
:laugh:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles