Russian Chechen War 1994-1996 - Pictures

Koovie

I think Russians are nuts.

This is what I heard from one of the guys, who has served in the Russian army. An entire Russian tank division got lost in Georgian during the Russia-Georgian conflict.
Reason: The tank commander was using Apple iphone as GPS!! I do not know the truth behind the story but it rings alarm-bells.
There is an another story in which a Russian commander had to lend satellite from a journalist to coordinate his attacks.
But no reason to call them nuts. They are still good soldiers but lack in some modern technology.

Koovie

There is an another story in which a Russian commander had to lend satellite from a journalist to coordinate his attacks.
But no reason to call them nuts. They are still good soldiers but lack in some modern technology.
sry i actually meant that he lent a satellite phone and not a satellite :rolleyes:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Kunal...Who was supporting Chechens with weapons? :confused:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal...Who was supporting Chechens with weapons? :confused:
Chechnya was earlier part of Soviet Union and when it broke out of Soviet empire, Chechnya inheritate Arms and Ammunition of soviet units in Chechnya and declare independence, Chechen fought Russian with Russian weaponry given by Russian earlier..

Later ammo and weaponry are passed from Muslim fundamentalist into the battle zone from east block Europe black markets..

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Chechnya was earlier part of Soviet Union and when it broke out of Soviet empire, Chechnya inheritate Arms and Ammunition of soviet units in Chechnya and declare independence, Chechen fought Russian with Russian weaponry given by Russian earlier..

Later ammo and weaponry are passed from Muslim fundamentalist into the battle zone from east block Europe black markets..
I see...actually this is what I thought but wondered how much ammo Russia had dumped there that they are able to withstand such a large thrust by army regulars. I saw a intresting documentry about the whole story in CNN/Discovery many years ago.

Damian

The second one might be Spetnaz or MVD (Ministerstvo Vnutrennikh Del )
You should understand that word Spetsnaz is a like english word special forces. So Spetsnaz is not a single unit but a word describing different special units. Spetsnaz is a shortened version of Части и подразделения специального назначения and can be translated as - the units of special purpose.

So actually there are many different Spetsnaz units in Russia and ex soviet republics. For example GRU (Military Intelligence) have it's own Spetsnaz (that is the most famous and misterious one), KGB had it's own unit, now FSS have it's own, same goes with MVD, and regular military units. Each one have it's own Spetsnaz. There is also different type of units called Osnaz and they have different tasks than Spetsnaz.

pmaitra

@Bornubus, I was not able to find "Tando Effect" in Google, but I did find the village of Tando in Dagestan. Do you have any link about the battle you described?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@Bornubus, I was not able to find "Tando Effect" in Google, but I did find the village of Tando in Dagestan. Do you have any link about the battle you described?
It seems to be related to Thermobaric weapons.
From their talk page:

Also - Russian military say, that there’s a well-known Tando-effect, named after a Chechen village of Tando, which was completely burned down by a lone Russian helicopter shooting thermobarric weapons. So now, when a single helicopter appears over a Chechen village it creates panic no less than a squadron of bombers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Thermobaric_weapon

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles