Russia's New Anti-Smoking Law Comes Into Force

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Russia's New Anti-Smoking Law Comes Into Force

MOSCOW, June 1 (RIA Novosti) - An anti-smoking law that bans smoking in public, including in government buildings, healthcare and educational facilities, cultural sites, sports stadiums and on public transport, comes into force in Russia on Saturday.

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed the ban into the law on February 25. The law comes into force on June 1, 2013, though some of its provisions, including a total ban on smoking in restaurants, trains and hotels, will only come into effect one year later.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said in April that the new legislation banning smoking in public places could save up to 200,000 lives annually in Russia, which has some of the highest rates of smoking in the world.

The legislation also imposes a total ban on tobacco advertising. Tobacco companies will be barred from holding promotional prize draws and sponsoring public events and competitions.
The bill also prohibits display of tobacco products in shops. Sales in retail kiosks will be banned from June 2014, and minimum prices will be set for cigarettes, which currently cost from just 40 rubles ($1.30) a pack.
Last month, the Russian parliament's lower house, the State Duma, began debating a bill imposing fines of up to 1,500 rubles (about $48) for smoking in public places.
Russia's New Anti-Smoking Law Comes Into Force | Russia | RIA Novosti

Wow, great move.

The Last Stand

Country flag
To Vladimir Putin : :dude:

This late? In TN, no smoking in public places has been a law for like 20 years.

The Last Stand

Country flag
Better late than never.
Well, if Russia launches 1000 Topol-M and related ICBM to USA armed with 15 kt nukes or 2 kt MIRV, if they stop after launching 500 of them, is it better late than never :)

P.S. I am a troll and I keep spouting nonsense. Don't mind me

The Last Stand

Country flag
Maybe the Chennai heat is messing with your head, stay healthy bro. :)
I've always been a troll. My brother taught the art of trolling to me. :)

Chennai heat doesn't affect me much.

And for the topic:

How will this impact cigarette manufacturers. In India, they make a lot of business - 3 out of 10 small shops in Chennai have cigarettes. :(

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I've always been a troll. My brother taught the art of trolling to me. :)

Chennai heat doesn't affect me much.

And for the topic:

How will this impact cigarette manufacturers. In India, they make a lot of business - 3 out of 10 small shops in Chennai have cigarettes. :(
3 out of 10, c'mon the number is closer to 8 out of 10. In India, I don't think such rules are strictly enforced. For eg: the no selling of cigarettes within 100m of schools rule is routinely violated.
The cigarette manufacturers may be affected, but not to the extent we hope.

The Last Stand

Country flag
3 out of 10, c'mon the number is closer to 8 out of 10. In India, I don't think such rules are strictly enforced. For eg: the no selling of cigarettes within 100m of schools rule is routinely violated.
The cigarette manufacturers may be affected, but not to the extent we hope.
I haven't actually counted, but of 7 shops in locality only one sells cigars. And it does violate the rule. A school is 15 m away from my house when using the road. Maybe 7 or 8 m actually. The shop is close to 100 m away. But it's maybe 60 m away from above-mentioned schools. Cigarettes however are overflowing in the said store. 9/10 customers buy a pack. :(

:sucide:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles