Russia to present nuclear train prototype in July

A.V.

Rosatom and OAO Russian Railways (RZD) in late July and intend to present a prototype of a train with nuclear propulsion, senior vice-president of RZD Valentin Gapanovich on the sidelines of meetings of the Association of manufacturers of railway equipment. He clarified that this is a presentation of scientific and exhibition complex of 11 cars. "This is a composition comprising the fast neutron reactor, which can be implemented as the transport element - the power plant" - said a top manager.

"I looked at the saturation of the car - I liked it. I supported the idea of "Rosatom" is that they are promoting innovative ways of development, including nuclear energy "- shared Gapanovich. This will "study the layout of the future, which in any case will come," he added. Promising development is determined by the fact that the nuclear industry - is one area where Russia now occupies a leading position, the representative of Railways.

Possible costs of the project has not yet computed. Also not reported, and the safety of such vehicles.

On nuclear energy in transportation engineers actively thought about in the middle of XX century. Thus, the Ford Corporation in 1958 created the concept car Ford Nucleon, but no working model has not been established.

http://www.gazeta.ru/business/2011/02/18/kz_3531106.shtml

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
okay, a query. what if there was to be a terror attack on this train and it were to be blown apart (god forbid)? would it then set into a chain reaction, if so who would then take the responsibility for the catastrophe and would this chain reaction be controllable then? wont this be as good as a nuke bomb on the move that could be set off any moment? (excuse me if these questions sound naive)

ganesh177

Country flag
I think this is a revollutionary news of security is taken care of.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
okay, a query. what if there was to be a terror attack on this train and it were to be blown apart (god forbid)? would it then set into a chain reaction, if so who would then take the responsibility for the catastrophe and would this chain reaction be controllable then? wont this be as good as a nuke bomb on the move that could be set off any moment? (excuse me if these questions sound naive)
they will have to provide more security to that locomotive. I think there is possibility of meltdown in case of accidents or terrorist attacks like chernobyl. But it should not explode like a nuke because for nuke, fuel required should be of higher grade.

Welcome

Country flag
Not practical......security and higher cost is the main problem. So after 2050 we can think about that.

ashicjose

be +ve ,russian tested n-plane so i dont think its not a big deal for them.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
how big or small would be the reactor be? How well will it be sealed? Plus the safety and other factors.
I think this could be used only on dedicated lines that dont pass through populated areas and only for freight trains.

sandeepdg

This is a too risky concept for mass transportation. Carrying a nuclear reactor in a train is definitely going to be a very big deal, especially regarding the security of the travelers from radiation. It will a lot of refinement before it can be adopted, I suppose.

Country flag
This train may carry nukes that unassembled nukes or only the body,warheads may come from a separate route?? This is still a good option to ensure a second strike especially with the European missile shield, Russia has to look at other options.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This train may carry nukes that unassembled nukes or only the body,warheads may come from a separate route?? This is still a good option to ensure a second strike especially with the European missile shield, Russia has to look at other options.
Why would you need a nuclear train for it. It can be done on conventional ones and in fact done so. Usually with rail mobile missiles,

Country flag
Why would you need a nuclear train for it. It can be done on conventional ones and in fact done so. Usually with rail mobile missiles,
you are right yusuf and this should not be made public

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
bad idea to have nuke in train, specially when accidents happen............

ashicjose

Use nuclear energy to run electric train ...............and sleep well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles