Russia refuses technology transfer for Smerch rockets to India

Santu

True.. We should collaborate with countries like Brazil , argentina , south africa .. deal between embraer and DRDO is a welcome sign if you ask me :) wish to see more such deals :)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its not that we don`t have equivalent system as per our need, No one needs Smerch when we have Prahaar which is better in most aspects ..

if they do give 100% tech that might be outdated , So india can amalgamate Smerch tech with Pinaka & come up with new version yes there are many hurdles like Fund , reasource , expertise , production & testing base etc:

Jagdish58

Its not that we don`t have equivalent system as per our need, No one needs Smerch when we have Prahaar which is better in most aspects ..
Kunalji 100% i can agree with you, but do you think Indian Army will retire Smerch for Prahaar or pinaka mk3?? or for that matter IAF dropping MMRCA or atleast scaleing down for making way to LCA MK2 or Mk3 for that matter

Both Army & Airforce want foreign toy & cry later for spares & Ammo:frusty:

cloud

Country flag
I think the ToT issue in Smerch deal is not about the rocket itself, which pretty much any country can build with a bit of experience, its more about the type of Warhead they can carry, I remember reading about it sometime ago. The Smech has many types of warhead(may be 8-9 types, if I remember correctly) for different types of threats, out of which India wanted ToT for some of the warhead technologies. One of the warhead type contains many small guided bombs which can destroy multiple tanks in the fields (similar to US made guided cluster bombs, but small). Then their are Heavy Bunker busters etc,

Senior_Miguel

Good one answer is no , if Russia pulls out on all military co-operation with india it will cost us very dear

Foreign toys might be flashy but a buyer in mercy of seller a sanction would been major blow

With 38% of arms export going to India, Russia would feel that blow as well ;-)

Senior_Miguel

It's good that Russia refuses the tech transfer or else we would be still using Russian based stuff for next 1000000 years.Our bad habit of of dependency SHOULD GO and we need to be self reliant.

It's good time we put our money on our tech and people.We got enough manpower and $$$.

Instead of teasing Chinese for their reverse engineering we should o the same since in war it doesn't matter.

Russia also need to understand that they should not treat India as a milking cow all the time and they should now make their cooperation in a broader manner.The last thing Russia wants is pushing India towards US/Israel etc and losing such a big regional friend like India.Russia is not such a superpower anymore like USSR.
It's already happening. Who won the attack and transport helicopters deals? US. Who are you talking with about air defense systems? Israel. Who is the favorite for P-75I tender? France. Russians are slowly loosing ground in India. I wonder if it's not why they are talking with Paks about the Mi-35 deal. To get a little leverage on IN ^^

Country flag
The army is slowly moving away from Russia ; Air Force also going in the same direction.
If china also orders sukhois from Russia . India more or less has to rebuild the plane.

ashdoc

Country flag
these smersh rockets are on KOLKATA class destroyers . i hope induction of these ships is not delayed .

mikhail

Country flag
these smersh rockets are on KOLKATA class destroyers . i hope induction of these ships is not delayed .
Sir,those are Smerch RBU-6000 AAW rockets which are installed in the Kolkata class:rolleyes:.Here we are talking about the Smerch MBRL of the Indian Army.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
True.. We should collaborate with countries like Brazil , argentina , south africa .. deal between embraer and DRDO is a welcome sign if you ask me :) wish to see more such deals :)
you beat me to it - exactly my thoughts
No harm asking Russia - but if they play games , we shouldnt hang around
Just let them know they were our first choice but were not desperate - and there'll be others whom
we can deal with
Seriously if we do our management properly, the days of Russia playing Admiral Gorshkov
games with us should be over .

Australia used to talk tough about not wanting to sell uranium to India - and MMS said fine
we went to Kazakhstan and Canada who were much more positive then Aussie quickly did a turn around

to the list of nations you mentioned we can add Ukraine ( they would love to do Russia in wouldn't they ? ) France and Israel
Even if we cant get it in one package im sure we can put the modules together plus some of our own development ?
After all these days some of our R&D guys seem to pretty alright ! .

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
But we make fun of chinese on reverse engineering:frusty: as even that is not easy at all , coming back to TOT no country will do 100% tech transfer there will be some kind of bug to use are bargain chip in future
I dont think anyone really laughs at china reverse engineering ?
what most people object to is when they find the "carbon copy " or photocopy of the original
on the international market for sale at one third the price .and competing with the original manufacturer
This is what our member Vladimir of Russia used to write in his objections about china rev engr.

If India did reverse engineering , kept quiet about it, made some modifications
so that it is no longer a photocopy - and use the product strictly only for home consumption
any objections would be very much muzzled .

After all - that's what everyone is doing ...... no one is gonna waste time re-inventing the wheel

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles