Russia, India in joint drone project

JAISWAL

Russia, India in joint drone project: Voice of Russia

Russia and India are mulling a project for a recoverable rocket- firing drone based on their BrahMos cruise missile. Engineers from the two sides started discussing the proposal at a meeting in New Delhi on Monday.
The drone will be capable of delivering heavy explosive payloads to targets thousands of kilometres away from its home base.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Nice to see and hear that BRAHMOS is making great imporvements and Russia and INDIA are jointly working for its use in DRONES.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I know that neighbors would never allow us the kind of strikes that US performs in Pak air space with the Drones.
However, lets ponder on how feasibly and effectively can India use Drones and what is its usability for us?
Your thoughts gentlemen ..

Regards,
Virendra

Phenom

Why not enter into a JV with some European nations who are also working on Drone projects, its not a good idea to put all our eggs in one basket.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Because it is based on Brahmos which is essentially Russian JV.

Project is Brahmos Corp's undertaking.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Its based on Brahmos for propulsion, and on Israeli Drones for Design, as both countries use them, and both countries of some Knowledge to make a new platform based on their experience..

plugwater

Waste of money!!
We already have Rustum-H and Aura under development, Russians do not have much knowledge than us in UAVs.
Last i heard they are interested in buying couple of IAI Heron.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I think we already have two hypersonic projects by DRDO and ISRO, One is for launching satellites and the other one is for dropping bombs.

If this JV is true, How much this is different from DRDO project ?
This only says they will modify the Brahmos into an reusable vehicle. Which means the projectile will be fired and the RAM jet engine will return on its own power!?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I think we already have two hypersonic projects by DRDO and ISRO, One is for launching satellites and the other one is for dropping bombs.

If this JV is true, How much this is different from DRDO project ?
Propulsion will differ. We have no clues on its design. Not even drawing sketches. Project is still in conceptual stage. Funding not approved yet. I don't think Russian half will be much interested in such plane. It'll require massive investment. Brahmos-2 hypersonic flight was tested some months ago, russians will stop there itself maybe.

S-500 is supposed to provide defense against hypersonic missiles so if russians promise co-operation outside NPOM then it'll help us in incorporating anti-countermeasure techniques.

A.V.

The project is just in consideration :-
consider this :-

russia is not a leader in UAV / drone technology a trilateral project would be better

JAISWAL

The project is just in consideration :-
consider this :-

russia is not a leader in UAV / drone technology a trilateral project would be better
AV i think they are talking about the reusable BRAHMOS -2 as stated by Dr.A.P.J.Kalam in the following link.
Full news is on link below read it.
Reusable hypersonic BRAHMOS should be developed: Dr. Kalam - Brahmand.com

NEW DELHI (BNS): A hypersonic variant of BRAHMOS cruise missile system should be developed that can be reused, former President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam suggested on Sunday.
Addressing an event to mark 10 glorious years of first supersonic launch of the BRAHMOS cruise missile, Dr. Kalam said, "BRAHMOS will graduate to hypersonic cruise missile"¦ it should be a reusable hypersonic cruise missile, meaning that it would return to its base after delivering the payload." Plans are going on to develop the advanced version of the weapon system that can travel at a speed of Mach 5 to 7. The new missile, to be called BRAHMOS II, will be smaller than the original BRAHMOS.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles