Russia handing out medals to British war veterans

Discussion in 'Europe and Russia' started by apple, Aug 8, 2014.

1. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

3. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

It's only proper that the Russian state honor some of the people that has helped it during the most trying period of its history. The timing however may raise some eyebrows. I am tempted to be sarcastic with this: What is this, an attempt from Putin to follow Hitler's script during WW2 by trying to drive a wedge between the Brits and the Americans? Or maybe the Billionaire buddies of Putin has lobbied hard for him to extend some sort of olive branch to the Brits so that they can keep their posh London apartments...?

HMS Astute and mikhail like this.
  4. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Good points. The Russian government's media department is quite shameless, particularly in regards to the dead, and incompentent in dealing with foreign media.

5. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

I live in Finnish Lapland. I have always wondered why Finnish troops operating in the rear of the red army didn't blow up the Murmansk rail road more often. I think it was the same reason Finnish troops did not attack Leningrad: our commandets knew both how to start and how to end a war.

6. apple

apple Tihar Jail Banned

Repairing damaged railways doesn't take so long. Or, at least that's what I've read... unsurprisingly have never done it myself. Only a small percentage of the military aid the Soviet Union received from the West passed through Murmansk anyway.

Still haven't noticed this story in the western media. Good try Putin ;-)