Rooftop solar panels to help slash power bills

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Sep 10, 2013.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Gujarat does it, again. Announces a rooftop solar power generation policy for the state targeting around 40 MW of additional power.

Rooftop solar panels to help slash power bills

GANDHINAGAR: After developing a solar park and canal-based solar power generation plant, the Gujarat government will soon announce a new rooftop power policy for residential, commercial and industrial units. It will shortly announce a new rooftop power policy.

Sources in energy and petrochemicals department said, "The policy will be valid till March 31, 2015, and targets 10,000 rooftop installations having about 20 mega watt (MW) of installed capacity on residential buildings and another 20 MW on non-residential buildings, including industrial, commercial, institutional and agricultural."

The government will provide a subsidy of 40% or the maximum of Rs 32,000 per kilo watt (KW) for up to 2 KW, along with VAT exemption on purchase of equipment for residential rooftop photo voltaic (PV) systems.

In addition to the state subsidy, all systems, whether residential or non-residential, could also avail 30% central subsidy.

Sources added, "Individual non-residential rooftop PV system capacity will be limited to generate up to the maximum of 6% of the consumer's previous year's energy consumption, up to the maximum installed capacity of 100 KW. All rooftop PV systems shall have a single bi-directional meter to measure the import and export of electricity. According to the proposed policy, power companies will charge the consumer on the 'net' consumption of electricity at the end of the billing cycle. In case a consumer is a net generator at the end of the billing cycle, the company will not be liable to pay to the consumer for any excess energy fed into the grid."

Channel partners, selected by ministry of new and renewable energy, will be the contact point between the government agencies and customers. While the Gujarat Energy Development Agency (GEDA) will facilitate the channel partners in claiming the subsidy, all the applications will be routed through it to any avoid duplication of benefits.

For base calculation, 1 KW of solar PV installation will cost Rs 80,000 to 90,000 and generate 4 to 4.5 units per day. Such installations take up roof space of about 10 to 12 square metres.

Defenceindia2010 likes this.
  3. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

This time Delhi Government seems to have beaten Gujarat government in this.

Delhi govt plans incentive for green power - The Economic Times on Mobile

The only hurdle for implementing it soon in Delhi would be the forthcoming assembly elections.

Anyway this could be a game changer for the country. Imagine every rooftop generating 1-2 KW of electricity from solar. For the local distribution companies it would mean huge savings.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Have you tried a solar cooker?

It can cook a meal.

The time taken is on the intensity of the sun.

It saves on gas and electricity.

In the 80s, the State Govt, at least I know it was given in MP, sold such cookers at a subsidised rate.

I had bought five, since every time I bought one for myself, my relatives who used to drop in for a holiday, used to take it away and so I had to buy another.

I bought it having seen one my my seniors, who was living alone, using such a cooker and he had prepared a meal for us (mother and my family) on just this one cooker and the food tasted fabulous! After all, it was slow cooking!

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I have been using solar water heater for about 10 yrs now. Wanted to install panels for electricity. Was working to about 10Lakhs. Decided against.

arnabmit likes this.
  6. Ray

What is your experience with solar water heaters?

How much does it cost?

How is it installed?

How many water heaters can it power?

Have the water heaters to be modified?

7. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

What capacity PV panels were you trying for. Typically a good system ( non-Chinese) 1 KW costs Rs. 1.4 Lakh onwards. Cost goes up depending on the quality of the battery. Battery costs are sometimes almost 40% of the cost.

8. Ray

If one is to sink in so much of money to buy solar panels, it would be silly to invest in Chinese goods.

The Chinese goods are notoriously substandard!

9. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

In many cases Indian companies import directly from China and they sell under their own brand name. So it is difficult to know the origin. However the Chinese system is around 70% of the cost as compared to other systems.

Their battery gives just 12-15 months life whereas the battery from exide for solar application gives almost 5 years life. But our people do not want to invest so much money upfront.

10. Yusuf

I took a quote from a friend who is distributor for EMVEE solar. Has a huge factory in Bangalore. It was for lighting for 4 apartments.

Problem is yes the battery which is expensive. Making appliances like AC,fridge, washing machines work on it is a problem. Can't be totally reliant on Solar.

11. Yusuf

Sir solar water heaters don't power your conventional water heaters. Its a separate system & you will have to take a separate hot water like for it which will come down from the solar heater.

My experience is good. Best thing for water heater. 24 hours of hot water except on cloudy days,monsoon season. Doesn't cost too much I think now.

10 yrs back I paid 50k for a 300 ltrs capacity solar heater,installation & its accessories.

Ray likes this.