Romney campaign's expert asks India to reduce oil imports from Iran

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Romney campaign's expert asks India to reduce oil imports from Iran

TAMPA (FLORIDA): Acknowledging India's efforts towards minimising its dependency on Iran for its energy needs, a foreign policy expert of the Romney campaign has called for "more efforts" by New Delhi to reduce its oil imports from Tehran.

Noting that the issue was of "very serious priority" for the US, Republican Richard Grenell Capitol Media Partners said that the Obama administration should do more to convince India in this regard.

"We continue to support you (India) for a permanent seat on the Security Council, but you've got to do more in stopping the purchase of Iranian oil," he said, apparently underlining the need for India to cut imports for getting a US support for its permanent UNSC seat.

"I think although the Indians have tried to cut back, they need to do more," he said on sidelines of the ongoing party convention in Tampa.

"When it comes to India, obviously we work very closely with the Indians, especially at the UN. I have to say whenever we talk about India we always have to talk about permanent members of the Security Council, because I think that's one of the issues that people really are trying to get at," he said.

He also cited how, during the Bush administration, the US was committed to get Japan a permanent seat in the Security Council but it couldn't materialise.

"Now this administration has walked that back. There hasn't been big support for the Japanese getting a permanent seat. However, President Obama has said that the current US policy would be that the Indians should get a permanent seat. I think that's a big reward," Grenell said.

Grenell had briefly served as the national security spokesperson of the Romney campaign and in April this year, he became the first openly gay spokesman for a Republican presidential candidate, after he was hired by Romney.

He, however, resigned less than a week later. Grenell had also served as spokesperson of four US Ambassadors to the UN the early 2000's in New York.

Romney campaign's expert asks India to reduce oil imports from Iran - The Economic Times

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The Republicans are slaves of their Jewish financiers/masters, and their party is a conglomeration of elitists and religious nutjobs with the intellectual level of apes. They will do anything for money and power, even bargain away human rights for shares in giant corporations. Also with Mitt Romney at the helm, luckily they have no shot in hell of ever beating Obama.

So no need to worry about this. Thank God for small mercies.

trackwhack

First unsc seat, then we will think about it. Actually shove the unsc seat where the sun don't shine. We will do what we feel like. Its a bunch of whiners who cant agree on anything anyway.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The reality on the ground is that we need the Iranians to be in our sphere- period.

Second reality is that sooner or later the Americans will also need the Iranian's as the Russians squeeze them out of CAR. We cannot isolate Iranian leadership and then expect the Chinese to also stay away and not do any mischief. If we can keep on talking to the Pakistani's despite all the baggage of Punjab, Kashmir, 26/11 Parliament..................., the Americans also need to keep engaged.

If due to political compulsions they cannot then let them step aside, India, Japan and some EU countries are best suited for this role. This is the only way to keep the lid on Iran's nuclear weapons programme, and wean them away from Hezbollah and Hamas.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
One thing looks a definite, if the Republicans form the next administration in the US, Iran might just have it, and it will be extremely difficult for us to sit on the sidelines and watch the show. We will pretty much be asked to pick a side.

What will we do then? And if we decide to take a side, and side with the US, will they commit a new government in Iran?

Else it will be too pointless and we will only have to act very stubborn no matter what the Americans or the Israelis will have to say to us.

Reactions: sob

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Anyways, it was time we put across a set of guidelines on the US being a strategic ally to us, something the Republicans seem to be rather keen on. A list of dos and don'ts. As I have said earlier, time the world stared to adjust to our ways than expecting us to do it the other way round, and if by chance our political leadership still wants to do it the other way round, they better man up for India is destined for greater things ahead.

That said, I am all for stronger Indo-US relations.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Americans or the Jews will have to say
Ritesh just a small request, writing Jewish Lobby or the Israeli lobby would have been better. We cannot lump all the co-religionists in one group.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Ritesh just a small request, writing Jewish Lobby or the Israeli lobby would have been better. We cannot lump all the co-religionists in one group.
Sumeet,

Thanks for pointing out, amends made.

Reactions: sob

venkat

No way!!! tell the yankees to back off!!!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Agreed. :thumb:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles