Role of USA in Kashmir

NikSha

Lemme sum up any sane, Bharat mata loving son of India, person's view on this.

US's role in Kashmir "Issue". - "No. Fuck-off."

Any deal over LOC or absolutely ANY leniency over people coming from that terrorist nation. - "No. Fuck-off."

End of discussion. Kashmir is ours, thousands of Indian soldiers have died defending that POS terrorist loving hell-hole. It'll be a cold day in hell (aka, Pakistan) when any Indian PM decides to separate it from India.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
US wants wishes of Kashmiris to be considered

New Delhi, June 11 (PTI) The US today pushed for resumption of Indo-Pak dialogue while emphasising that the resolution of the Kashmir issue should take into account the "wishes" of the people of the state, resonating Pakistan's view.
US Under Secretary of State William Burns told a press conference here after discussions with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that the "pace, scope and character" of the Indo-Pak dialogue, suspended since the Mumbai terror attacks, be decided by the leaders of the two countries.

"The US has always welcomed dialogue between India and Pakistan. But it is also obvious that pace, scope and character of that dialogue is something Indian and Pakistani leaders have to decide. And how and when to approach that dialogue is also something for them to decide," he said.

Burns, the first high-ranking US official to visit India after the recent elections, handed over a letter from President Barack Obama to Singh but declined to divulge its content.

In response to a question on Kashmir, Burns said "it remains our view that resolution of the Kashmir issue has to take into account wishes of Kashmiri people." On Mumbai terror attacks, the US official said Pakistan has a special responsibility to bring the perpetrators to justice and take "concrete steps" to ensure there is "no repeat" of it. PTI

US wants wishes of Kashmiris to be considered

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
US Leaves Decision on Restarting Peace Dialogue up to India and Pakistan

By Steve Herman
New Delhi
11 June 2009

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other key members of his new Cabinet have concluded meetings with a high-ranking American envoy. The topic of Pakistan was discussed repeatedly during the two days of talks.

The United States is leaving it to India and Pakistan to decide how to re-engage when it comes to their stalled peace dialog. That is what U.S. Undersecretary of State William Burns told reporters following talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and other top Indian government officials.

Burns, who is the senior American career diplomat, said he gave Mr. Singh a letter from U.S. President Barack Obama. He did not reveal the contents, but it is widely reported here the letter urges India to resume discussions with its neighbor and long-time rival.

India put the peace talks on "pause" following last November's terror attack on Mumbai, which is blamed on militants from Pakistan.

India says it wants to see progress in bringing those responsible for the attack to justice. Pakistan says resumption of the dialog must focus on resolving the long-standing disagreement over the Kashmir region, claimed by both countries and a catalyst for several of their wars against each other.

Burns says the territorial dispute is something New Delhi and Islamabad do need to discuss, but with the desires of the Kashmiris in mind.

"With regards to Kashmir it remains our view a resolution of that issue has to take into account the wishes of the Kashmiri people," said William Burns.

Ties between Washington and New Delhi are at perhaps their warmest since Indian independence. That results from last year's landmark agreement signed on civil nuclear cooperation.

But there are remaining issues from that pact, including parameters for India's reprocessing of nuclear fuel that originates in the United States. Burns announced negotiations on reprocessing would begin before the end of next month.

Burns also indicated movement on reaching an agreement with India required by U.S. law for all foreign military purchases of sensitive American technology.

"We are making good progress and I am very hopeful that we will be able to get past that issue and move ahead to expand defense cooperation between us," he said.

The agreement would clear the way for a substantial increase of American sales of sophisticated military equipment to India, whose top suppliers are Russia and Israel.

U.S. and Indian diplomats are hoping to have several agreements ready in time for the visit of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in late July.
VOA News - US Leaves Decision on Restarting Peace Dialogue up to India and Pakistan

Better!!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
By even listening to the US and talking with it regarding Kashmir, India is opening the door wide open for the US to intervene. If Ibdia doesn't want any mediation, then before any meeting with US reps, India has to make it clear that it will not tolerate any references to Kashmir.Period.

johnee

By even listening to the US and talking with it regarding Kashmir, India is opening the door wide open for the US to intervene. If Ibdia doesn't want any mediation, then before any meeting with US reps, India has to make it clear that it will not tolerate any references to Kashmir.Period.
We should issue statements like: "any comments upon Kashmir by any nation can adversely impact our relation with them, so caution them to shut up on Kashmir. And this applies to everyone(including the superpower). If US tries to meddle in Kashmir(directly or indirectly), then our relation with US might get affected and we might be forced to go our own way(and this might have adverse impact on US' WOT in Afghanistan)."

If we issue such statements, republicans can take on Obama, not to allienate potential allies in this region.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes Johnee just like China does on the issue of Tibet and does not even tolerate any visit by the Dalai Lama to any world capital and takes exception to any political head even contemplating meeting with the Dalai Lama.
India too has to clearly state its policy.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
US adopts Pakistan’s stance on Kashmir : Pak newspaper

* Burns asks India to understand Pakistan’s problems
* Pushes Pakistan over Mumbai attacks

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: The US said on Thursday that it wants the Kashmir issue resolved in line with the aspirations of the people of Kashmir – a statement that reflects Pakistan’s stance on the long-standing dispute.

Addressing a press conference after meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns – on a three-day visit to India – stunned reporters by saying that the Kashmir issue had to be settled in line with the aspirations of Kashmiris. “It remains our view that a resolution of that issue has to take into account wishes of the Kashmiri people,” he said.

Burns said the US would continue to push the Pakistani government to act against terrorists, as “they are source of instability for the entire world”.

However, Burns also asked New Delhi not to underestimate the seriousness of and difficulties faced by Islamabad in its effort to contain extremists and terrorists.

While Burns emphasised the need for Indo-Pak dialogue, he indicated that the US would let the two countries work out things on their own. “The US has always welcomed dialogue ... but it is also obvious the pace and scope is something for the Indian and Pakistani leadership to decide. How and when to approach that dialogue is for them to decide,” he said.

Burns also asked the international community to help internally displaced Pakistanis, as the issue needed significant international response.

He also announced that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would visit India in the second half of July.

Burns said the US would continue to ask the Pakistani government to act immediately and effectively on Indian concerns to investigate and bring to justice the perpetrators of Mumbai terror attacks.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Country flag
evrything pakistan touches turns to terrorism-afghanistan,bangladesh,sri lanka,POK why would this trend change? USA's loss in afghanistan will only be a victory for pakistan and terror Obama needs to focus on that instead of trying to kiss pakistan's ass.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The statement is uncalled for and India has to lodge a strong protest. India is not going to surrender it's sovereignty at the altar of the US WOT.
It's Americas problem that it can't do anything with Pakistan to get it to act and continue to live in illusion and denial about Pakistan doing something against the extremists.

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
What we need to do is, warn any third country (including US) to get itself involved in the Kashmir issue. Now, India should always take the stand that Kashmir is an integral part of it's country, and will never part with it.

It also needs to warn others not to fall into the trap of Pakistan. Pakistan is taking the stand that all the Islamic terrorism being witnessed in that country eventually is a result of the Kashmir issue.

I highly disagree with Pakistan's stand. Nobody told Pakistan to start funding terrorism. It is their own fault that they are in the situation they are in.

US can't expect India to give up Kashmir to fix Pakistan's mistakes.

That being said, there is a lot of anger in Kashmir against India - which is understandable. Our army has committed a lot of human rights violations in Kashmir. It will take decades to undo this damage. But India needs to start NOW. They need to have special focus on Kashmir, develop it fully, bring jobs and education to Kashmir. Bring peace.

Finally they have decided to remove Army, which will help in the long run, even though anti-India sentiments will still run high.

Lets not worry about Pakistan anymore. Lets just try our best to reconcile with the Kashmiris, and undo the damage done by our army and our politicians.

Country flag
Mehwish there is a lot of anger in India too, if USA wants to be such a kashmir loving country why don't they and pakistan open immigration for these angry kashmiris, after 4 wars and continued terrorism we should know not to trust pakistan or remove the army, you are living in a dream world if you think this a solution.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
What we need to do is, warn any third country (including US) to get itself involved in the Kashmir issue. Now, India should always take the stand that Kashmir is an integral part of it's country, and will never part with it.

It also needs to warn others not to fall into the trap of Pakistan. Pakistan is taking the stand that all the Islamic terrorism being witnessed in that country eventually is a result of the Kashmir issue.

I highly disagree with Pakistan's stand. Nobody told Pakistan to start funding terrorism. It is their own fault that they are in the situation they are in.

US can't expect India to give up Kashmir to fix Pakistan's mistakes.

That being said, there is a lot of anger in Kashmir against India - which is understandable. Our army has committed a lot of human rights violations in Kashmir. It will take decades to undo this damage. But India needs to start NOW. They need to have special focus on Kashmir, develop it fully, bring jobs and education to Kashmir. Bring peace.

Finally they have decided to remove Army, which will help in the long run, even though anti-India sentiments will still run high.

Lets not worry about Pakistan anymore. Lets just try our best to reconcile with the Kashmiris, and undo the damage done by our army and our politicians.
There is no anger against India. There's indifference. They hate the local policemen, not the CRPF Jawans. Its the Police which makes their life difficult, not the army.

Who has decided to remove the Army ?

NikSha

There is no anger against India. There's indifference. They hate the local policemen, not the CRPF Jawans. Its the Police which makes their life difficult, not the army.
Do you have any proof that there is no hatred against India? I recommend you go and watch the YouTube videos uploaded by Kashmiri kids and the comments they are making against India, not only there but everywhere else possible.

They hate India. Another reason to never part with Kashmir as far as I am concerned.

Oh and those Jawans are making sure terrorists don't come in and start shooting your area every second day like Mumbai. They are not to blame just because of few rotten apples in the group who make the news (else where's the news commending these soldiers for protecting India from that region itself?).

youngindian

Country flag
let them shought ,they are shouting from 1950,no country dares to intervene in kashmir issue remember kashmir is with us and some day will take pok also

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Do you have any proof that there is no hatred against India? I recommend you go and watch the YouTube videos uploaded by Kashmiri kids and the comments they are making against India, not only there but everywhere else possible.

They hate India. Another reason to never part with Kashmir as far as I am concerned.

Oh and those Jawans are making sure terrorists don't come in and start shooting your area every second day like Mumbai. They are not to blame just because of few rotten apples in the group who make the news (else where's the news commending these soldiers for protecting India from that region itself?).
I've personally spoken to Kashmiris, in my various trips to Kashmir. The You-tubes you see are spread by volunteers of the separatist parties. The normal Kashmiris don't give a tad bit. No love, no hate. And I can't see where I have insulted or accused any Jawan in any matter.

mehwish92

Founding Member
Country flag
We need our army at the border. We don't need our army in the cities of Kashmir. The terrorists are coming in from Pakistan, not from Srinagar or Poonch.

And trust me. I know a few Kashmiri Muslims who hate calling themselves Indian. And everytime a human rights abuse happens at the hands of our army, they go insane with anger.

But i also know other Kashmiri Muslims who are pro-India, however they still are angry with the acts of the army.

And believe me, these aren't isolated incidences. Stuff like this (rape, murder, torture) occurs very often in Kashmir.

I'm only saying this because I want Kashmir to remain with India. We need to make sure people in our army don't abuse their power, which they do all too often.

Oh and NikSha, most of those anti-India comments you see on Youtube are not by Kashmiris. Majority of them are Pakistanis pretending to be kashmiris. These Pakistanis also pretend to be Anti-India Sikh Militants.

NikSha

Oh and NikSha, most of those anti-India comments you see on Youtube are not by Kashmiris. Majority of them are Pakistanis pretending to be kashmiris. These Pakistanis also pretend to be Anti-India Sikh Militants.
Most of them are, but most of them aren't as well. It's not like we have stats and info to prove who is who. Most of us are giving views based on few random events or people we know here and there anyway.

Also, I disagree that we don't need army at Srinagar as as well (we have third largest military, it's not like we lack manpower to govern LOC AND Kashmir at the same time). With the recent anti-India activity by separatists, do you really think it's wise to leave them free to "protest" and make a drama that will be picked up by world media every now and then?

It's best to keep it under control, keep them in check and make sure these protests remain low in number. No one said that army shouldn't keep in check the jawans posted there, make sure they treat average Kashmiri as a human being. I mean even US had such rape/crime issues with soldiers in Iraq. It happens when people are posted in the same area under such conditions, esp. when they see anti-India protests, it isn't exactly a vacation for our troops there.

We need to keep refreshing the posts. Bring in new units to replace old every few months, a good rotation policy.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
We need our army at the border. We don't need our army in the cities of Kashmir. The terrorists are coming in from Pakistan, not from Srinagar or Poonch.

And trust me. I know a few Kashmiri Muslims who hate calling themselves Indian. And everytime a human rights abuse happens at the hands of our army, they go insane with anger.

But i also know other Kashmiri Muslims who are pro-India, however they still are angry with the acts of the army.

And believe me, these aren't isolated incidences. Stuff like this (rape, murder, torture) occurs very often in Kashmir.

I'm only saying this because I want Kashmir to remain with India. We need to make sure people in our army don't abuse their power, which they do all too often.

Do you know what role CRPF is supposed to play lady ? The CRPF's primary role lies in assisting the State/Union Territories in police operations to maintain law and order and contain insurgency. So they are not supposed to be posted at the borders.

Central Reserve Police Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are always a few people who feel the compulsion of going against the trend, however as I said before, the majority remains indifferent.

Rape and torture are carried out by the J&K Police, not the CRPF. All that stuff you see on the internet is made up by the Pakistanis.

If the army had to abuse its power, we wouldn't be functioning under useless politicians today.

johnee

I think at this point we need to realise the obvious, that is Kashmiris(most of them) in Indian controlled Kashmir seem to be inclined towards Independence(and not towards joining Pak or India). Separatists(funded by Pak) use this sentiment to create a mischief at any(and every) step using all manner of excuses(like amarnath land row). Our soldiers are no gods, but they have been exceptionally professional in dealing with incursions(this comes to fore, when we see how our dear neighbour has been dealing with taliban in Swat). Rapes, murder, pillage.....etc are an exception, not a norm. Our army has done very well, inspite of extreme provacation and difficult terrain(specially in 90s). But now, since terrorism seems to have stopped striking chord among the common kashmiris(on Indian side), this is the time to replace army with CRPF and CRPF with regular Police. Presence of army is always unnerving for any populace, and Police are the best to do the job locally(unless we are dealing with largescale armed insurgency). Normalising Kashmir is not an easy process and will take time(specially with separatists backed by Pak, will try to disrupt it and keep Kashmir boiling).

Half the Kashmiris(that includes many pakjabis) on POK side want to join Pak. and the other half want Independence........

Global Defence

New threads

Articles