Rohingya refugee crisis

amoy

Just came across an internet poll for the outcome of the impending Myanmar parliamentary election. The NDL headed by Suu Kyi is predicted to have a landslide victory above 90% while the ruling party backed by the military only gets an approving rate less than 3% on line.

Even with the 25% reservation seats for the military taken into account Suu Kyi's party is set to be overwhelming. She may lead a majority govt though impossible to become president. Meantime the military is unlikely to revoke the results this time.

AFAIS this wouldn't augur well for the Rohingyas plight either way though NLD's win is quite inspiring for their democracy. The NDL is going to be more populism, as Rohingyas like many other minority simply don't count in the votebank politics.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

Last edited:

rockey 71

Just came across an internet poll for the outcome of the impending Myanmar parliamentary election. The NDL headed by Suu Kyi is predicted to have a landslide victory above 90% while the ruling party backed by the military only gets an approving rate less than 3% on line.

Even with the 25% reservation seats for the military taken into account Suu Kyi's party is set to be overwhelming. She may lead a majority govt though impossible to become president. Meantime the military is unlikely to revoke the results this time.

AFAIS this wouldn't augur well for the Rohingyas plight either way though NLD's win is quite inspiring for their democracy. The NDL is going to be more populism, as Rohingyas like many other minority simply don't count in the votebank politics.

Should the outcome be negative for the junta, they will just scrap it siting one reason or the other - or without giving any explanation at all. They did this last time.

rockey 71

Emanuel StoakesBecome a fan
Journalist; producer of the documentary “The Genocide Agenda"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emanu...478684.html?utm_hp_ref=worldpost-asia-pacific We Need to

Prevent Genocide of Rohingya Muslims -- Before It's Too Late

Posted: 11/06/2015 9:18 am ESTUpdated: 11/06/2015 9:59 am EST

YANGON, Myanmar -- This coming Sunday, Myanmar will hold its first "free" elections for 25 years, an event set to cement the country's status as one of the world's newest democracies. If all goes to plan, the poll will complete the country's recent transition from military to (partial) civilian rule.

It is an exciting moment, not least as there is some hope that the leading opposition party, the National League for Democracy (NLD),could wina landslide victory and reduce the grip that Myanmar's military-backed ruling elite retain over political life. In such an event, there is some hope that the NLD could work with the military, who areallocated a quarterof the seats in Parliament by law, to build on the reform program established by current President Thein Sein.

But extremely serious allegations leveled against the state suggest all is not well in Myanmar. There is"strong evidence"that Myanmar has committed genocide against a largely Muslim minority known as the Rohingya, according to a recent report by a clinic of Yale Law School for Bangkok-based NGO Fortify Rights. Otherreportsandexpertshave warned thatgenocide may be on the horizon.

For decades, the Rohingya have enduredabuse, statelessness and apartheidin the western edge of the country. Their plight was brought to the attention of the international media in 2012 whentwo anti-Rohingya pogromsled to mass displacement and hundreds of deaths. These incidents were described by Human Rights Watch as"crimes against humanity"undertaken as part of an ethnic cleansing campaign in which state agencies were allegedly involved.The case for genocide largely rests on an analysis not just of recent violence but of the cumulative effects of decades of state policy.

Earlier this year, attention was drawn again to the Rohingya when thousands of "boat people," among them many from the minority,facedstarvation and abandonment at sea in trafficker's boats as part of what became termed " the Asian refugee crisis."

But these events are only the most high-profile agonies that the Rohingya have been subjected to. The group have endured at leastthree ethnic cleansing campaignssince the late seventies, as well asdecades of routine abusesat the hands of the state such as torture, rape and forced labor. Their basic rights have been slowly stripped away by state policy, culminating intotal disenfranchisementand new laws designed to control births inmeasures enactedthis year. Throughout this period, an unknown number of killings have taken place.

It is in reference to this history of a cumulative campaign against the group by successive governments in Myanmar, not just recent events, that the charge of genocide is most cogently being argued.

Unsurprisingly, the allegation has been challenged by state representatives. After a period of silence, spokesman Ye Htuttoldlocal publicationMizzimathat the government "rejects the accusation completely," adding that the Yale report was part of an "an intentional plot" to destabilize parts of the country before the election.Waiting for the appearance of gas chambers is precisely the mentality that has contributed to our world's repeated failures to prevent atrocities.

The claim has also been dismissed by members of the NGO community working in Myanmar, some of whom were quoted in a piecepublished byThe Straits Timesthis week, which asserted that genocide is "not the issue" for the Rohingya. The article, by veteran journalist Nirmal Ghosh, went on to cite think tank and aid agency sources who said they saw the charge as being incorrect and irresponsible.

However, the case for genocide -- either on the horizon or in the present -- largely rests on an analysis not just of recent violence but of the cumulative effects of decades of state policy. What seems to be rejected by critics is an image of the situation that assumes that, because Rwanda-style mass killings haven't occurred, the allegation is untenable.

Addressing such criticisms, Matthew Smith, Executive Director of Fortify Rights, told me, "Genocide is a crime everyone thinks they understand. We've come to realize that many diplomats, UN officials and analysts don't understand the law of genocide, and we don't necessarily hold that against them."

"We often associate gas chambers and mass killing to situations of genocide, but elevating the crime to the most extreme examples is not necessarily helpful, and it's not required by the law of genocide," he continued. "Waiting for the appearance of gas chambers is precisely the mentality that has contributed to our world's repeated failures to prevent atrocities."

The term genocide inspires political sensitivity and institutional cowardice precisely because it carries with it legal obligations that most states, in theory,have to adhere to. Myanmar has become increasingly important to the West due to its strategic location in the U.S.-led "pivot to Asia." To use the charged term "genocide" publicly could seriously damage ties with Naypyidaw.The term genocide inspires political sensitivity and institutional cowardice precisely because it carries with it legal obligations that most states, in theory, have to adhere to.

However, it's one thing to mindlessly proclaim "genocide!" and advocate the ending of all forms of quiet diplomacy with the government of Myanmar in favor of a single-track confrontational approach. It's quite another to advocate for the continuation of such engagement while calling for an international commission of inquiry to investigate the claim.

It is this latter approach that is recommended by the Yale paper. It's hard to see why it should not be adopted, unless one favors the option of simply doing nothing until the situation deteriorates into a full-blown human catastrophe.

Close

Rohingya Muslims

Getty Images

rockey 71

The elections are tomorrow, 08 Nov. Inauguration of the new govt is in Jan, '16. This is the period that the Buddhist Bamars and their Mogh Rakhine allies will use to eliminate the Rohingyas,ie, the Arakanese Muslims to a man.

amoy

What has Bangladesh done e.g. exerting diplomatic pressure? Or any interference from OIC in the "cleansing"? The military junta won't bow to step down so easily nor will Myanmar becoming a 3rd- world-level democracy be any helpful for Rohingyas.

Like I previously said Myanmar is like in the state of the Chiang Kai-shek KMT ruled Rep. Of China. A "central" govt is sitting in Naypyitaw with its writs hardly running throughout the country. A 3rd world democracy usually takes a democratic form but remains in name only.

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
What has Bangladesh done e.g. exerting diplomatic pressure? Or any interference from OIC in the "cleansing"? The military junta won't bow to step down so easily nor will Myanmar becoming a 3rd- world-level democracy be any helpful for Rohingyas.

Like I previously said Myanmar is like in the state of the Chiang Kai-shek KMT ruled Rep. Of China. A "central" govt is sitting in Naypyitaw with its writs hardly running throughout the country. A 3rd world democracy usually takes a democratic form but remains in name only.

Look who is lecturing ... :rofl:

a citizen of a banana republic !!

amoy

Look who is lecturing ... :rofl:

a citizen of a banana republic !!
What do u have to contrinute to the subject? Don't reply me senselessly unless u have a valid point.

By the way I'm not from a banana republic. Certainly I can lecture u, not on Rohingyas, but on the other Bose the Japanese puppet in ww2 according to what I gather from the autobiography of ex Prez. of Singapore.

bose

Country flag
What do u have to contrinute to the subject? Don't reply me senselessly unless u have a valid point.
Stop lecturing !! do remember you are in an Indian Forum...

By the way I'm not from a banana republic. Certainly I can lecture u, not on Rohingyas, but on the other Bose the Japanese puppet in ww2 according to what I gather from the autobiography of ex Prez. of Singapore.

Bose lives in the heart of the Indians ... we do not care to read autobiographies of tom, dick & harry the so called British puppets !!

Older generation of Japanese also justify the Nanking rape and about the inferior Chinese people's humiliation in their hand ... I can also quote them ...

amoy

Stop lecturing !! do remember you are in an Indian Forum...

Bose lives in the heart of the Indians ... we do not care to read autobiographies of tom, dick & harry the so called British puppets !!

Older generation of Japanese also justify the Nanking rape and about the inferior Chinese people's humiliation in their hand ... I can also quote them ...
Zip your mouth Mr tom terry or dick unless u have anything relevant to the subject

bose

Country flag
Zip your mouth Mr tom terry or dick unless u have anything relevant to the subject

Stop Lecturing !! when you have none relevant to subject... democracy ... third world blah blah...

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Fake propaganda to keep the rohingya militancy in Arakan under wraps.

amoy

Stop Lecturing !! when you have none relevant to subject... democracy ... 3rd world blah blah...
blah blah why don't u get your ass out of here? 25% of both houses reserved for the military, what insight do ya have to blabber abt the third world democracy? even Mali or Somalia is doing better than u.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

bose

Country flag
blah blah why don't u get your ass out of here? 25% of both houses reserved for the military, what insight do ya have to blabber abt the third world democracy? even Mali or Somalia is doing better than u.

Long Live Military Junta in Myanmar !!

rockey 71

1.In 1992 BD was preparing an offensive to return the refugees home with honor and recognition. The entire Muslim world and the Americans were supporting us. Saudi Gen Khalid, Joint Chief of Desert Storm himself arrived to asses our needs. Pak Chairman of Jt Chiefs, ACM Faruq Firoz had come with crates of F-7s seeking what more was required.
2. We were readying in spite of the so called 25 Years "Friendship" treaty with India. India herself had offered USA using NE for ops. But that was refused by the Americans because that would hamper NE insurgents.
3. A high powered team was sent to China seeking her opinion. Post Tien Mien Square affair China was almost friendless except Burma. Therefore, the Chinese had told us to patch up.

amoy

1.In 1992 BD was preparing an offensive to return the refugees home with honor and recognition. The entire Muslim world and the Americans were supporting us. Saudi Gen Khalid, Joint Chief of Desert Storm himself arrived to asses our needs. Pak Chairman of Jt Chiefs, ACM Faruq Firoz had come with crates of F-7s seeking what more was required.
2. We were readying in spite of the so called 25 Years "Friendship" treaty with India. India herself had offered USA using NE for ops. But that was refused by the Americans because that would hamper NE insurgents.
3. A high powered team was sent to China seeking her opinion. Post Tien Mien Square affair China was almost friendless except Burma. Therefore, the Chinese had told us to patch up.
Glad to hear the whole Muslim world is taking care of Rohingya brethrens. Then that seems none of friendless China's business so long as it doesn't mess up with the port and pipelines through Rakhine. So China is able to focus on the upper Myanmar - Shan and Kachin states which is very much of Chinese immediate concern.

As for NE insurgents connection with US that sounds new to me. Anyway nobody stops BD playing an assertive role with Rohingyas. Burmese junta has gone sour with China after Suu Kyi's pilgrimage to Beijing.

rockey 71

Glad to hear the whole Muslim world is taking care of Rohingya brethrens. Then that seems none of friendless China's business so long as it doesn't mess up with the port and pipelines through Rakhine. So China is able to focus on the upper Myanmar - Shan and Kachin states which is very much of Chinese immediate concern.

As for NE insurgents connection with US that sounds new to me. Anyway nobody stops BD playing an assertive role with Rohingyas. Burmese junta has gone sour with China after Suu Kyi's pilgrimage to Beijing.

1.China is our top ally for defense and in the international arena. Her views are always sought on crucial issues - never mind current BD govt's honeymoon with India.
2. Arakan does not belong to Burma. It is in occupation by force. Therefore, she had no qualms in dividing Arakan into two - the eastern going to China, and the western going to India. While India's projects remain almost suspended, China has built a colony and an airport with two 5 star hotels supporting her pipeline project.
3.The insurgency / freedom struggle in Arakan remain dormant for various reasons. But it is bound to flare up. Americans would not be too happy about China's oil/gas exploration. They may be working in tandem with India which has recently been housing Rohingya refugees at various locations to become a party to this crisis. Also in recent times Indian Military Intel (not RAW) has been active here even recalling Col Gerawal of Op Leech from retirement.

amoy

1.China is our top ally for defense and in the international arena. Her views are always sought on crucial issues - never mind current BD govt's honeymoon with India.
2. Arakan does not belong to Burma. It is in occupation by force. Therefore, she had no qualms in dividing Arakan into two - the eastern going to China, and the western going to India. While India's projects remain almost suspended, China has built a colony and an airport with two 5 star hotels supporting her pipeline project.
3.The insurgency / freedom struggle in Arakan remain dormant for various reasons. But it is bound to flare up. Americans would not be too happy about China's oil/gas exploration. They may be working in tandem with India which has recently been housing Rohingya refugees at various locations to become a party to this crisis. Also in recent times Indian Military Intel (not RAW) has been active here even recalling Col Gerawal of Op Leech from retirement.
OMG this is the most hilarious idea I've come across this year. Seriously u want India and China to split Arakan or Rakhine?

Just at a glance of geography u would realize Arankan is far off from China. Indeed Chinese interests are widespread overseas such as pipelines. But that doesn't entail a physical occupation. Otherwise Chinese strength could have been overstretched. Trust me, Chinese are saner than u think, and there're other strings to pull.

Here lies a fundamental difference btwn your view and mine ~ I think Rakhine is integral to Myanmar regardless of historical imbroglios. External pressure can be at work from India or US, or from the so called Muslim world over Rohingya plight alike, but has to be within the Myanmar framework. Practically Rohingyas shall strive for rights like Myanmar citizenship and coexist with other communities, not separation.

As for BD's honeymoon with India, well how would that bother Chinese? There is nothing exclusive btwn BD and China. BD is entitled to engaging every neighbor and maximizing its own interests. It's called realism for survival.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles