Rogue State of Pakistan:Stolen Technologies Discussions

sorcerer

Country flag
This discussion will feature all technologies stolen by pakistan and busted spy jobs of pakistan.

pakis dont have the basic infrastructure needed to build anything..so its anybodies guess they are stealing it for china.

:D china making pakis do all sort of dirty jobs!!!! china will be clear of accusations and pakis are shameless and they dont care also its their chance to show the shameless loyalty for china.

US jails Pak man for trying to steal tech for drone

Highlights
  • The country depends mainly on theft, smuggling, illegal acquisition and other felonies conducted through its expatriates linked to Pakistan’s military-industrial establishment and its front companies.
  • This is not the first time that Pakistan has been caught trying to procure restricted technology from the US
WASHINGTON: For a country with barely enough know-how to manufacture bicycles and sewing needles, Pakistan takes great pride in having become a nuclear weapons and ballistic missile power against all odds. Less well known -- despite the AQ Khan expose from the 1970s -- is how it does it: through theft, smuggling, illegal acquisition and other felonies conducted through its expatriates linked to Pakistan's military-industrial establishment and its front companies.

The sentencing this week by a US Court of an expat Pakistani businessman trying to illegally procure gyroscopes for Pakistan's Drone programme sheds some light on the methods Islamabad/ Rawalpindi is using to get around the unstated sanctions against a country with a history of war-mongering and sponsoring terrorism in the neighborhood.

According to a grand jury indictment and trial that has resulted in a 33-month prison sentence, Syed Vaqar Ashraf, an expat Pakistani who was also CEO of I&E International based out of Lahore, attempted to procure gyroscopes for the Pakistan's military's drone program through a shell company called Innovative Links.

The saga begins in June 2012 when Ashraf, using the name Vaqar A. Jaffrey, began asking an unnamed Tucson-based company for price quotes on gyroscopes for Unmanned Areal Vehicles (UAV) also called drones. Although he was repeatedly told the technology was regulated by the US government and required licensing for sale, Ashraf filled out false documents for 18 gyroscopes, even as he admitted to undercover agents that his client was the Pakistan government and its military.

The undercover agents were planted by the Homeland Security Department after the Arizona company that Ashraf tried to get the technology from contacted them under a program called Shield America, which briefs employees of defense contractors and technology firms about the need to protect high-end export technology.

In September 2013, Homeland Security agents, with assistance from the FBI, set up a face-to-face meeting with Ashraf in Vienna, Austria, to work out details of the sale. During the meeting Ashraf, who is in his 70s, reportedly told agents that Pakistan's nuclear program had been developed using technology exported from the west without a license, and they intended to go the same route with respect to Drones.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

He also sought to buy optical receiver modules -- also a restricted item -- that could be used in activities related to nuclear, chemical or biological weapons or missile delivery systems.

According to the Tucson Sentinel, which reported on the matter in some detail because the company involved was based in Arizona, Ashraf, in course of the transaction, reportedly asked for suggestions to get around the export controls, :rofl:seeking alternative descriptions that would appear to cover the items on documents, but would clear arms control hurdles from the State and Commerce departments.

On August 26, 2014, Ashraf was arrested in Belgium where agents had set up a meeting to finalize the transaction, and extradited to the United States, where he pled guilty during the trial. He will be deported to Pakistan after serving his sentence.

''Ashraf attempted to procure gyroscopes and illegally ship them to Pakistan so they could be used by the Pakistani military. In an effort to evade detection, Ashraf arranged for the gyroscopes to be purchased in the name of a shell company and caused the gyroscopes to be transshipped to Belgium. Ashraf then traveled to Belgium to inspect the gyroscopes and arrange for their final transport to Pakistan,'' the U.S Justice Department said in a statement about the episode related to a country that Washington still periodically calls its ally.

While Pakistan thrives on stealing and smuggling, this particular case shows the risk involved in it for India, even though it takes the more legal route.

In March this year, India's Adani Aero Defence and Elbit System, the Israeli company for whom the Arizona firm made the gyroscope technology that Pakistan tried to illegally procure, agreed on a joint venture to make the Hermes 450 and Hermes 900 UAVs for the Indian armed forces. The gyroscopes are used the Hermes UAVs.

This is not the first time that Pakistan has been caught trying to procure restricted technology from the US. A Pakistani-American businessman from Maryland was convicted in 2012 for illegally trying to obtain materials related to advanced nuclear technology, including radiation detection devices, resin for coolant water purification, calibration and switching equipment, attenuators and surface refinishing abrasive.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...teal-tech-for-drone/articleshow/53985631.cms?

sorcerer

Country flag
Father of Pakistan's Nuclear Bomb Tells Just How Easy It Is
About five weeks ago, Dr. Abdul Khader Khan granted an extensive interview to a Pakistan television station. The frank interview attracted the attention of media outlets and research institutes the world over, but until now, its details have not been published in Israel.

Dr. Khan is a national hero in his country. He is the father of Pakistan's nuclear bomb. He is also the world's leading proliferator of nuclear technology, equipment and know-how. In the 1960s, he studied in Holland, where he learned how to enrich uranium with centrifuges. After India exploded a nuclear device in 1974, then prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto charged him with the secret task of developing nuclear weapons.

Khan stole the centrifuge blueprints from Holland and smuggled them to Pakistan. In the 1990s, after he finished arming Pakistan with nuclear weapons, he resigned from the civil service and began to "tend to his own backyard." He established a private company and traveled to the Middle East.

There, he first offered his knowledge to Algeria, Egypt, Syria and Saudi Arabia, but was turned away. Iran and Libya, however, accepted his offer and paid him millions of dollars. He established a smuggling network that provided equipment and technology to Iran and Libya, and apparently to North Korea as well.

When Iran has a nuclear bomb, it will be mainly thanks to Khan. "He appeared on our radar," former Mossad chief Shabtai Shavit admitted to me about two and a half years ago. "But we didn't attribute the proper importance to it. That was one of our worst failures. We should have assassinated him."

When his deeds and those of his smuggling network were exposed, he was arrested in Pakistan and interrogated at length. Under pressure from the Bush administration, then Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf was forced to order him placed under house arrest, which lasted about five years. However, he was recently released.

"Nobody sought me out," Khan told the interviewer. "After the Indian nuclear test in 1974, which caused hysteria in Pakistan, I thought I had to speak to Bhutto and tell him about my ability to create a bomb. I had first-hand experience with the technology and I knew how it worked. Pakistan's technology infrastructure was nonexistent. Bhutto asked me to supervise the work."

Whose decision was it to produce the bomb?

"Bhutto's."

Where did the money come from?

"The program was not expensive. Our annual budget was $20 million to $25 million and included purchasing land, building the [centrifuge] facility in Kauta, hiring scientists and purchasing materials abroad. The overall budget over 25 years was less than half a billion dollars."

When did you develop the centrifuges?

"On April 6, 1978, we succeeded for the first time in enriching uranium."

Was this enriched uranium weapons grade?

"No, it was a low level of enrichment. But it was sufficient to make us understand that we were capable of enriching uranium."

When did you begin to believe that you had fissile material for nuclear weapons?

"We achieved 90 percent enrichment in early 1983."

And when was the bomb ready?

"In December 1984, I wrote a letter to General Zia [then president of Pakistan] and told him that the bomb was ready and we could test it with a week's advance warning."

Why did you decide at the time not to carry out a test and detonate the bomb?

"We were allies of the United States in the war against the Soviets in Afghanistan. We asked Zia and his people to approve the test. But they explained that it would have harsh consequences. Because the U.S. turned a blind eye to our nuclear program so that we would support the war in Afghanistan, an opportunity was created to continue developing the program. They said the tests could be carried out at some later date."

And that's what happened. Only in 1998 did Pakistan carry out nuclear tests, in response to India's nuclear tests.

How did you set up the acquisitions network?

"Because I lived in Europe for 15 years, I was very familiar with the industry and the suppliers there. I had all their addresses. When I arrived in Pakistan, I began to purchase equipment from them. Then we started to purchase the same equipment via other countries, like Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, the UAE and Singapore. They [the West] couldn't keep up with us. We were always one step ahead of them."

When did you begin to produce the delivery systems?

"We planned them back in 1981, even before the bomb was ready. But General Zia did not allow us to produce them because of the war in Afghanistan. It happened only in 1988 - with the first government of Benazir Bhutto [Zulifkar's daughter]."

From whom did you acquire the missile know-how?

"From China." Later, he said, from North Korea too.

And what about Iran?

"Iran was interested in obtaining nuclear technology. And because Iran is an important Islamic country, we wanted it to have the technology. The Western countries pressured us on this issue, and it wasn't fair. If Iran can have nuclear technology, we will have a strong regional bloc that will repel international pressures. Iran's nuclear capability will neutralize Israel's power. We advised Iran to make contact with the suppliers and to purchase the equipment from them."

Are those the same as your suppliers?

"Yes. They were told that the suppliers are very reliable. The Iranian representatives met with them in Dubai."

What about Libya?

"Libya purchased the equipment from the same suppliers, who were responsible for supplying Pakistan, Iran and Libya via the same third party in Dubai."

Who was he?

"It was a company with which we made contact when we couldn't get equipment in Europe. They were Muslims from Sri Lanka."

The conclusion that emerges from the interview is that a country determined to obtain nuclear weapons will do so, even if it has poor technological infrastructure. There are enough suppliers who will secretly provide what is required. It is not overly expensive to produce nuclear weapons. It took Pakistan nine years.

Iran's situation is similar to Pakistan's. It began to enrich uranium in 2002, and today it already knows how to do it and has the quantity necessary to produce fissile material. The Iranians also already have missiles for launching a bomb.
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/print-editio...nuclear-bomb-tells-just-how-easy-it-is-1.7724

sorcerer

Country flag
Pakistani entrepreneurs arrested for allegedly stealing source code

Four members of a startup formerly incubated at Google-backed The Nest I/O have been arrested for infringing on intellectual property rights, according to local media reports in Pakistan.

The entrepreneurs run Investors Lounge, a portal for budding investors to see updated financial data on things like stocks, mutual funds, and commodities. It recently secured its first round of funding.

The four individuals – Baqar Abbas Jafri, Sennen D’Souza, Hammad Ali Hashmi, and Waqar Ehsan – were previously associated with The Nest I/O, a startup incubator based in Karachi which has received funding from Google for Entrepreneurs, Samsung, and the US State Department.

The complainant in the case says the founders of Investors Lounge were its former employees. While at AMZ MAK Capital, they had been given the task of building a social media platform for investors. Instead they allegedly stole the source code and used it to build an alternative product with a few minor modifications.

“After the product was developed, all the above named four employees, along with the head of software programing and project head, quit at the same time taking the source code along with them,” says a statement from the complainant provided today to Tech in Asia. “The mastermind behind this fraud, Baqar Abbas Jafri, re-launched the same website few months later, which was the idea and property of AMZ MAK Capital, by changing a few interfaces while keeping the exact same idea and the source code.”

Mir Mohammad Ali Khan, the CEO of AMZ MAK Capital, said he took to the courts to prevent the entrepreneurs from running away with the idea. After hearing the merits of the case, the judge decided to issue arrest warrants. The source code is valued at US$140,000.

A formal trial will now be held to determine the outcome of the case.

However, the team behind Investors Lounge categorically denies the accusations. In a press statement they said they “created new and original software code for Investors Lounge portal with the assistance of shared content recently purchased from recognised vendors with the specific intention of using such shared content for Investors Lounge only.”

Jehan Ara, the head of Nest I/O, says the case is totally without any merit. “This is a false accusation,” she outlines. “I know these youngsters personally and the product was created from scratch […] It is heartbreaking and totally unjust that these young entrepreneurs who have struggled so much and worked so hard to get to this stage should be put through this. I stand by them.”

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1114512/pakistani-entrepreneurs-arrested-allegedly-stealing-source-code/

Global Defence

New threads

Articles