Road trouble in China

KevWang

I agree that roads in the mountains, especially young mountains as the Himalayas can experience landslildes and sinking.

But it should not happen in cities in the plains or hills that are not young.

The number of cars in China is more of a social status of the noveau riche.

Given the excellent public transport (as indicated by the Chinese posters here), I find no reason why one should use a car and cause traffic snarls.

I travel by the underground when I want to go to the city centre since that is more convenient than manoeuvring though traffic in my car.

I only wish we had an underground system like London or Singapore.

I would have sold my car then!

Agree! I also take metros in Guangzhou. It's so convenient. I am also wondering why we want so many cars when we have subways in more than 25 cities in China. Maybe that's a kind of syndrome needed to be cured.:lol:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
And if the subways are as good as Singapore, who requires a car or a taxi.

I loved the Singapore subways!

So convenient and so fast!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Agree! I also take metros in Guangzhou. It's so convenient. I am also wondering why we want so many cars when we have subways in more than 25 cities in China. Maybe that's a kind of syndrome needed to be cured.:lol:
I took the bus. It is the cleanest system I have seen, and not nearly crowded like I expected.

amoy

Guangzhou metro is so noisy, people talking loudly and children screaming. In Hong Kong it's really quiet - everybody looks asleep or reads a piece of free tabloid on metro, walking in and out quickly like zombies, hardly any eyeball contact with one other.

Best subway I can think of is in Shanghai. But no free papers - racks always empty

JAISWAL

Massive sinkhole in China swallows building | The Lookout - Yahoo! News India

Massive sinkhole in China swallows building

[video]http://in.news.yahoo.com/video/sinkhole-swallows-buildings-southern-china-100237881.html[/video]
By Mike Krumboltz, Yahoo! News | The Lookout – Wed 30 Jan, 2013

Look out, below. A massive sinkhole in Guangzhou, China, swallowed up buildings and knocked out power to thousands of residents.
According to Shanghaiist, the sinkhole is about 3,230 square feet and plenty deep. A video shows a crowd milling about the sinkhole before it expanded, causing a building to crumble as if it were detonated.
Neighboring buildings were evacuated and streets were blocked by police. "Gas could be smelt from over 30 metres away, and deafening noises could be heard as the land continued to crack and sink," the Shanghaiist reports.
Sinkholes are, unfortunately, nothing new. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, some sinkholes are human-induced. "New sinkholes have been correlated to land-use practices, especially from groundwater pumping and from construction and development practices." They also occur in areas where the rock beneath the land surface can be easily dissolved by groundwater.
Human-induced or not, sinkholes are getting a lot of press these days. In China's Guangxi province last year, a sinkhole formed after a local school dug a well to ease its water shortage. Business Insider reports that in Beijing, massive bomb shelters, "constructed amid fears of an impending nuclear attack during the height of Chinese-Soviet tensions," may be contributing to the problem.
But they certainly aren't limited to China. In 2011, a Florida sinkhole gobbled up "a garbage bin, an oak tree, the back wall of the building housing a salon and racks of supplies." A woman in Guatemala City discovered a 3-feet-wide, 40-feet-deep sinkhole beneath her bed. And in Ohio, a massive sinkhole caused part of a state highway to collapse.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles