Rivers in India are sewers: Jairam Ramesh

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by SpArK, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

Rivers in India are sewers: Jairam Ramesh
    With India accounting for 58 per cent of all open defecations in the world, the government today sought active involvement of all parties concerned including women panchayat representatives to sensitise the people in creating awareness about public hygiene.
    "On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, I would like to mention one such case which is a shame on all of us. No other country in the world where about 60 per cent women have to go to the field for open defecation," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said in a function organised by the Hunger Project.
    Terming the prevailing open defecation in many parts of the country as a "blot on India", Ramesh said this is an issue of public hygiene.
    "These women do not have access to hygiene. This is actually a very sad commentary on our society. We seem to be not doing much about it," the minister rued.
    Referring to the Mahatma, he said Gandhiji had strived for transforming villages into 'nirmal grams' (village free from open defecation).
    "There are some states like Harayana, Sikkim, Maharashtra, Kerala where hygiene conditions exist but in other states it is not visible," Ramesh noted.
    Terming the situation as "paradox", he said, "We prefer to remain clean and dump filth outside. This is a paradox -- individual hygiene and public filth. This is something that we should take up as a challenge. It is a challenge for political parties, the government and society also."
    Describing the prevailing condition of rivers, he said, "Rivers are not rivers in India. Rivers have become sewers. The 500-km stretch of Ganga between Kannuaj and Varanasi is just sewer.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_rivers-in-india-are-sewers-jairam-ramesh_1594304

T
    hey had decades in power to reversing it... why open mouth just in functions???

3. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Not so in South India.Especially Godavari and Krishna are clean

4. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Its only a matter of time before they are ruined too.

5. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Musi was a river once...

6. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

I hate the Nehru Gandhi family as much as the next guy, but JRamesh is clean.

7. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

They are all clean till the time the have less power. As they climb the power ladder the corruption increases. Hopefully he does not turn out to be a seat warmer like the others and continue his good work. It may seem he is against development but cleaning up the environment is much more expensive. Better to start off clean. We will be seeing rapid growth in coming two decades. We should look towards sustainable growth and reducing our environmental impact.

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

You bet it.

Ram teri Ganga Maili

ganesh177 likes this.
  9. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

10. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Speaking of fertilizers, can anyone who is an expert in this field suggest ways to re-use the waste from fertilizers? Instead of dumping them into the rivers, they could be used to make money spinning products and at the most, can be used in making chemical weapons. I know this sounds cynical, but we need to dispose off the waste or do something instead of dumping them into our rivers.

11. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

I think he is spot on. I know for a fact that punjab rivers sewers for sure, I mean most of them don't even water flowing in them anymore.
    extremely pathetic situation. wish some good authoritarian regime in india like the one in china can teach us some manners.

12. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

The biggest sewer in my opinion is Yamuna as it enters and exits Delhi. It stays that way till Mathura, where it's fortunately revived by tributaries.

Among others, Coovam and Adiyar in Chennai and the Buckingham canal (also known as Stinkingham canal) are sewers of the worst kind.

13. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

The award for the best sewer-cum-river goes to the Mithi river in Mumbai....Those travelling through Dharavi,BKC,Mahim will agree with me.

BTW if you see a trend, any river flowing through the metropolis becomes a sewer while those flowing through villages tend to be clean.

This is because for the people in villages, river is an essential part of their life and culture. For city folks its just a dumping ground.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  14. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

My thoughts exactly. It's horrible to pass over that bridge.

15. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

ho gayi ,ho gayi, ho gayi,ho gayi

16. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

we know it . what options/ans are u offering ? :frusty::frusty:

17. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

Quite true. Even, the canals for irrigation, and I mean large canals are quite clean. Village folks seem more sensible about ecology and environment. But city dwellers, for all their education, just consider the river as a dumping zone.

For me, the most dirtiest rivers will Yamuna in Delhi and then in Mathura, probably one of the dirtiest rivers in a capital city anywhere in this world. Next would be the Mithi in Mumbai. God knows how dwell near whichever area this passes through, the stench is simply unbearable. Then it would be the Ganga in Kanpur and Allahabad.

I also feel all these holy cities are a another cause of pollution for the masses that come there every year.

The YAP (Yamuna Action Plan) sucked billions of dollars in cleaning programmes, but it is as much a muck today as it was when the YAP-1 started. It has reached a stage where I feel even God will feel its unable to clean this river :)

18. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

And why are they dirty ? lets list reasons.....

1. Most people don't give a shit about cleanliness outside there homes.

19. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

2) Industries and local authorise discharge industrial waste and chemicals into the rivers

3) Poor people do not have toilets in the metros and therefore defecate in rivers

4) Some people enjoy taking a piss in the river

5) Flowing river makes you want to pee

20. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

to clean them we need to move the poorest of the poor far far away from the riverside and bring in the educated and middleclass or rich section of society on the or near the banks of the rivers by making some good housing infra. these educated ppl wont dump shit, garbage and all into the river and slowly and slowly rivers will get clean on their own. but this will block thousands of crores of rupees minted specifically for river cleaning going into officials and politicos pockets.