Indian river Interinking Project and its effect on the Subcontinent

Is river interlinking really going to help?

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cleaning up our rivers is not a big investment Kunal.
May be, But what about yamuna river crises ? Heard abt its cleaning project but its always as dirty as it was before, Same in Kolkata..

On theory there are laws and project but how hard they are implemented, Monsoon comes and go and the rivers get dirty again..

If we cannot control and fail to implement rules properly it can back fire on people living near these river routes..

Regarding flood thing i agree..

trackwhack

May be, But what about yamuna river crises ? Heard abt its cleaning project but its always as dirty as it was before, Same in Kolkata..

On theory there are laws and project but how hard they are implemented, Monsoon comes and go and the rivers get dirty again..

If we cannot control and fail to implement rules properly it can back fire on people living near these river routes..

Regarding flood thing i agree..

See, enforcing rules and having infrastructure to enfore rules are two different things. We cannot expect small scale industries to have their own treatment plants. The idea behind treatment infrastructure is to have massive sewage treament facilities in all cities of over 1 million population along major rivers and all industrial areas beyond the threshold of certain revenue.

If you look at industrialization, it always occurs in clusters with related industries around a major hub. This is where central treatment facilities have to come up.

With the Yamuna clean-up, the government has said no one can pump effluents into river. What are they supposed to do? Most medium industries dont have the capital to run their own treatment plants and these systems are only economically viable when scaled to handle huge volumes.

There are about 100 industrial hubs along the stretch of Yamuna and Ganga from Delhi and UP to Calcutta. Setting up 100 treatment plants at a cost of $50 million each is still a $5 billion investment. This would literally eliminate pollution from the two most important waterways of our country. Bramhaputra does not require anything as of now as NE is not industrialized.

Similarly, another $5 billion investment into urban sewage systems along these river systems would cover all population areas of over 1 million people.

It can be done if we have the will and the vision to do it. But alas...

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
They will loose a tool to brainwash people in state and those political party will do any thing to stop the linkage so to use them during elections. It's up to people to wake up to their dirty tricks and kick them out.

trackwhack

They will loose a tool to brainwash people in state and those political party will do any thing to stop the linkage so to use them during elections. It's up to people to wake up to their dirty tricks and kick them out.
If you tell the flood affected districts of Bihar, that through this project we will ensure good irrigation and no more floods, do you think they will vote for you or vote against you for the other guy who says they are stealing our water?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I am beginning to feel that this is going to be very beneficial. I have been doing some research on this, and it looks like it has multiple benefits.

As far as I can see, the biggest issue is land acquisition. I don't see how they can pull this off when much smaller things get stuck for years due to land acquisition.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
If you tell the flood affected districts of Bihar, that through this project we will ensure good irrigation and no more floods, do you think they will vote for you or vote against you for the other guy who says they are stealing our water?

Provide them 24/7 H2O drinking water (Even if not pure ) and then they will throw stones at the one who say they are stealing. Water is already national resource and not state resource no one can say we wont give water to others it's just not in our culture

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
We cannot expect small scale industries to have their own treatment plants. The idea behind treatment infrastructure is to have massive sewage treament facilities in all cities of over 1 million population along major rivers and all industrial areas beyond the threshold of certain revenue.

If you look at industrialization, it always occurs in clusters with related industries around a major hub. This is where central treatment facilities have to come up.
A couple of things from the experience in the US. Many industrial sites treat nearby municipal effluent along with their own wastewater stream.

Conversely, many industrial effluent sources must be pre-treated before they are accepted my the municipal wastewater treatment facilities.

EPA Pretreatment Program - Office of Wastewater Management

trackwhack

In the normal course, a project goes through certain stages and procedures: formulation; examination from various angles by the appropriate agencies, Committees, and Ministries; statutory clearances under the Environment Protection Act and the Forest Conservation Act; compliance with the procedures prescribed in the National Rehabilitation Policy; acceptance of the project by the Planning Commission from the national planning point of view; and finally a decision by the Cabinet. The Supreme Court rides roughshod over all this and orders not quick consideration and decision-making by the government, but implementation.
I nearly stopped reading after this paragraph but finished the article anyway. This project was first proposed in 1950. The first committee setup in 1960's. It has been 50 years of studies since then. The author himself has been on several of those committees. If there is still no consensus on this project, it is a disgrace. For 50 years 100 of people have been paid to take a decision. The decision is - no consensus. What kind of morons are we paying to do this job?

Of course there will be issues tagged to any project of this scale, but there has been absolutely no data collected that indicates the costs will over ride the benefits, and by costs I mean both capital costs as well as environmental, social etc. This was what these people were paid to tell the cabinet and the people of this nation. They have failed and now after 50 years when the Supreme court says enough is enough, lets go ahead with the project as there is not a strong enough case to not do so, the fringe monkeys start writing trash!

KS

Bye bye DFI
The river interlinking is a non-starter.

Agriculture is still the mainstay of many people and while the lower riparian states like TN will welcome this project with open arms, upper riparia states like Kerala, Karnataka will not agree to it..and seeing from their pov they have some justification for it too.

If this project is to go forward the first step is nationalization of rivers. Unless that is done talk about these kind of projects is just waste of money.

As far as I can see, the biggest issue is land acquisition. I don't see how they can pull this off when much smaller things get stuck for years due to land acquisition.
The political issue between the different states is a bigger hurdle than land acquisition.

When even the Supreme Court has not been able to enforce river water sharing between states what makes you think this project will not be grounded.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
And flooding done by rivers is not that bad considering the alluvium that is deposited in the process enriching the soil. I am not a bleeding heart environmentalist, but I still fear this project may have unintended consequences.

The huge hype surrounding the Three Gorges Dam which was hailed as an engineering marvel has now given way to grave concerns about the resultant environmental catastrophe and even the Chinese Govt has expressed anxiety.

Chinese government acknowledges Three Gorges Dam “disaster”

trackwhack

And flooding done by rivers is not that bad considering the alluvium that is deposited in the process enriching the soil. I am not a bleeding heart environmentalist, but I still fear this project may have unintended consequences.

The huge hype surrounding the Three Gorges Dam which was hailed as an engineering marvel has now given way to grave concerns about the resultant environmental catastrophe and even the Chinese Govt has expressed anxiety.

Chinese government acknowledges Three Gorges Dam "disaster"
You obviously have not heard of controlled flooding to obtain the benefits of alluvial soil, I mentioned this in the earlier posts too. And no amount of alluvial deposits ever make up for the economic and human losses of monsoon floods in the gangetic plains. We have lost more than 100,000 people and thousands upon thousands of crores of crops, infrastructure, housing etc since independence due to seasonal floods since Independence.

KS

Bye bye DFI
You obviously have not heard of controlled flooding to obtain the benefits of alluvial soil, I mentioned this in the earlier posts too. And no amount of alluvial deposits ever make up for the economic and human losses of monsoon floods in the gangetic plains. We have lost more than 100,000 people and thousands upon thousands of crores of crops, infrastructure, housing etc since independence due to seasonal floods since Independence.
Many such arguments were also given for the Three Gorges project.

Anyway this project is a non-starter as far as I am concerned given the water politics involved , in some cases justifiably, and I am not going to break my head over this.

trackwhack

Many such arguments were also given for the Three Gorges project.

Anyway this project is a non-starter as far as I am concerned given the water politics involved , in some cases justifiably, and I am not going to break my head over this.
Whatever man. As usual you try to pick up an argument without any substance to what you say. What has the three gorges dam and river interlinking through canals and check dams have in common? You would know.:frusty:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Whatever man. As usual you try to pick up an argument without any substance to what you say. What has the three gorges dam and river interlinking through canals and check dams have in common? You would know.:frusty:
A modicum of understanding would have told why I mentioned the Three Gorges project here. Anyway it was to remind that tinkering with mother nature on such a massive scale may cause huge ( unintended) environmental problems due to lack of proper planning.

http://rivers.snre.umich.edu/ganga/Ken_Betwa_project.pdf

River link project: lies, damned lies, and stat

trackwhack

A modicum of understanding would have told why I mentioned the Three Gorges project here. Anyway it was to remind that tinkering with mother nature on such a massive scale may cause huge ( unintended) environmental problems due to lack of proper planning.

http://rivers.snre.umich.edu/ganga/Ken_Betwa_project.pdf

River link project: lies, damned lies, and stat
How many opinion pieces do you want me to post that justify the project. Google monkeys are dime a dozen these day.

What massive scale are you talking about? This is not one big project in one location. Go read the entire project report, understand what they plan to do and make an educated opinion. If we go by your rationale every irrigation canal in the country should be shut down. Water projects have a 10,000 year old history.

It is a massive project collectively. The implementation is several small projects. Your comparison with three gorges is ridiculous.

KS

Bye bye DFI
How many opinion pieces do you want me to post that justify the project. Google monkeys are dime a dozen these day.

What massive scale are you talking about? This is not one big project in one location. Go read the entire project report, understand what they plan to do and make an educated opinion. If we go by your rationale every irrigation canal in the country should be shut down. Water projects have a 10,000 year old history.

It is a massive project collectively. The implementation is several small projects. Your comparison with three gorges is ridiculous.
All the pieces ultimately form the bigger picture. Unless there is absolute consensus among all the stakeholders that this project is beneficial and a comprensive environmental study green flagging it, I would remain skeptical about it.

Mind you, TN was the only state in India that was in favor of the the 2003 SC ruling to link Indian rivers and we would benefit massively from the project. But still I am skeptic about that project for various reasons - political,financial,legal and more importantly environmental.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hey come on, river water inter-linking is good from all sides except environmental aspect. But the problem is the cost involved. But our dear UPA has already bankrupted us, so i dont expect them to do anything about it.

The project incurs a huge set up cost which will be beneficial for us only on the long run and so there is no incentive for the UPA to do anythin about it as it wont do any help for them in the next election! Besides this needs nationalisation of rivers which i dont think the UPA can pull it off....

A politician thinks about the next election but a leader thinks about the next generation. And frankly, we dont have leaders in our country and even if we did, we dont vote them into power!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Many Countries and their NGOs do not want India to get out of hunger and poverty trap. They generate lots of arguments and fund opposition to it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles