Riots in Bengal

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Iamanidiot, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Chaps Iam hearing rumour some nasty riots are happening in Bengal very unsavoury stuff somebody please verify it

3. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

nothing unusual has happened yet in Kolkata.i just checked all the Bengali news channels and there is no report of rioting,if something like that really happened then i am quite sure that they would have shown it on T.V.so i guess the rumour that you have heard is totally wrong:rolleyes:!

4. Iamanidiot

@Ray are you safe and sound sir?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Nothing in the media so far. What kind of riots? CPM TMC kinds or the communal kinds?

6. Iamanidiot

Come to the chat box

7. Yusuf

Out somewhere and on the phone

8. Iamanidiot

Communal and Arson .Location is 24 Parganas and sealdah it seems

9. Yusuf

What's the immediate provocation? The areas are further up from Kolkata.

10. Yusuf

Not able to get in touch with my father in law. Let me see if I can get anything on this

11. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

If u have authentic news/info on BengalRiots please share...otherwise rumour-mongering doesn't help anyone

12. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Sealdah is almost center of Kolkata.

13. mikhail

nothing of that sort has yet been reported in the local media.i am sure if something like that happened in Sealdah which is almost at the center of this city the media would be the first to report them,but still no sign of the "alleged rioting"(thank God)

14. Iamanidiot

Ok guys once check twitter the buzz in there is picking up

15. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Violence after villager murder

CANNING: The murder of an elderly villager by a gang of suspected robbers sparked large-scale violence in Canning subdivision on Tuesday morning. Fuelled by wild rumours and anger against police for allegedly taking the case lightly, a mob of thousands plundered four villages and burnt down more than 200 houses.

The administration has been shaken the most by reports that a section of attackers was ferried from Kolkata in trucks. This has been confirmed by intelligence officials, say sources. The situation is still tense and there is apprehension that the violence may spread to other parts of the district. Reinforcements have been rushed from neighbouring districts.

According to residents of Naliakhali village in Canning-I block, the victim was returning to his home in Basanti after a religious concert at Jamtala village late on Monday when he was accosted by a gang on Naliakhali Main Road. The 60-year-old religious leader was on a motorcycle with an aide when the goons fired, killing him and injuring the other person.

Samir Sen, a bus driver, was the first to see the body around 4.25am on Tuesday. "Mine was the first bus to Canning from Golabari terminal around 3.50am. At Naliakhali, I found a man lying on the road and decided to check on him with conductor Biswanath Singh. We saw that he was dead. His clothes were soaked in blood and a motorcycle lay by the side of the road. Finding nobody else around, we left and reported the matter to the police in Canning. By then, some other bus drivers had also called police but the cops made no effort to arrive," Sen said.

The injured aide had managed to reach a safe place and got in touch with friends and relatives. By first light, a large crowd had gathered on the spot and rumours started swirling around. Initially, police didn't treat the matter seriously enough and sent a junior officer and two constables to remove the body. The crowd barricaded them. A few more policemen were sent, but by then the mob had swollen and a rumour had spread that the killers were from Naliakhali village. The mourners blocked roads and railway tracks.

"Police stood by and watched as thousands of men stormed our village around 10am," said Biswajit Sardar, whose two-storied building was torched in the violence. Others alleged that most of the attackers were outsiders, who hurled bombs at houses, poured petrol and set them ablaze. "Whoever dared to protest was beaten up," said villager Sanatan Adhikari. The rampage continued for three hours.

Villagers in Naliakhali say they had no clue about the murder. "It was only at dawn, when police arrived, that we came to know of the killing," said Shaktipada Adhikari, an elderly villager whose house near the crime scene was reduced to ashes.

Realizing that things had got out of hand, Canning officers sent distress calls to their superiors. South 24-Parganas SP Praveen Kumar Tripathy rushed with Combat Force and Rapid Action Force battalions and asked district magistrate N S Nigam to arrange for additional personnel. By late afternoon, policemen from Bidhannagar and Howrah reached Canning with water cannons. Nigam, DIG-Presidency range Dilip Banerjee and other senior officers visited the spot and decided to keep forces deployed for the next few days. It is a worry that many people involved in the violence were outsiders, say officers.

Villagers said that the violence would never have taken place had police reacted in time and removed the body in the wee hours. They also wondered how police could have allowed the mob to reach the spot in trucks and vans. According to them, a section of the mob arrived from Kolkata. This was corroborated by an intelligence officer. Nigam said that the administration had started assessing the damage and the victims would be compensated.

While Tripathy refused to comment on police inaction, Banerjee said: "We have initiated cases of murder and rioting. Several rioters have been arrested. We are probing who the killers were and whether someone instigated the mob."

Violence after villager murder - The Times of India

mikhail likes this.
  16. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

Some reports suggest that a religious preacher with his associate was returning from congregation, in the night on his bike and was confonted on highway by looters. They looted Rs 11Lac and killed him but his associate fled the scene though harmed. His dead body was first spotted by a local bus driver and he informed police.

Before Police reached the spot, the mob had already gathered and they accused some people living in nearby area.

And in couple of hrs truck loads of people gathered in there and nearby villages and burnt those houses. 500 houses burnt but no reports of casualty so far.

Violence after villager murder - The Times of India

17. blank_quest

blank_quest Senior Member Senior Member

18. mikhail

thank God nothing serious happened there.i was actually worried that a real riot may have taken place in Kolkata as its a city of multiethnicity and religions.but Canning is far away from Kolkata,its a town actually and it is nearly 60 km away from Kolkata!

19. Yusuf

24 Parganas is north I think. I am aware of areas near Chandni, Netaji Subhash Road, Park Street etc. And off course the area where @Ray Sir lives which is quite far from Chandni

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  20. Iamanidiot

A cleric was killed and all hell broke loose .Do not know the current situation

21. Yusuf

Ok some guy was murdered yesterday and things happened. Local trains were also stopped for some time. Nothing right now and Kolkata is pretty peaceful. This from my FIL.