Right Wing America up in arms over Obama's Snub of "GOD" in His Thanksgiving Address

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Obama Thanksgiving Address: Conservatives Upset By Lack Of God Mention
Huffington Post
11/25/2011

Some conservatives are annoyed that President Obama did not mention God during a short Thanksgiving address he made on Thursday. (Watch above.)

ABC News reports that multiple conservative columnists wrote about what they perceived as an oversight on the president's part. Sherman Frederick at The Las Vegas Review-Journal chided, "Somebody ought to remind Obama (and his speechwriter) that when Americans sit down around a meal today and give thanks, they give thanks to God."

Fox News columnist Todd Starnes complained that the president's "remarks were void of any religious references although Thanksgiving is a holiday traditionally steeped in giving thanks and praise to God."

And the Los Angeles Times reports that right-wing corners of Twitter were abuzz over Obama's failure to get religious, with many retweeting Starnes' headline: "Obama Leaves God Out of Thanksgiving Address."

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro didn't hold back, tweeting:

"Unreal that Obama doesn't mention God in Thanksgiving message. Militant atheist. To whom does he think we are giving thanks?"

In his speech, which clocked in at just over three minutes, Obama delivered a simple holiday message. He said that he and his family, like many Americans, would spend the day "eating great food, watching a little football, and reflecting on how truly lucky we are." He went on to thank military service members who were "eating Thanksgiving dinners far from your families" and Americans who "are taking time out of their holiday to serve in soup kitchens and shelters...this sense of mutual responsibility, the idea that I'm my brother's keeper, that I'm my sister's keeper, has always been part of what makes our country special." He also acknowledged America's tough economic climate and its persistent political gridlock, offering hope that things could improve.

As Gawker notes, the president did mention God in his 2009 and 2010 addresses.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
:pound:

I hope that madman cain becomes the president :thumb:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Friends don't let friends read the Huffington Post.:namaste:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
That's a Murdoch follower talking.. :namaste:
Ted Koppel sez:

In October of 1996, Rupert Murdoch hired a former top Republican strategist by the name of Roger Ailes, to establish the Fox cable and satellite network. These days, Fox is at great pains to deny that its news channel has any political agenda. But Murdoch and Ailes are being unnecessarily modest. They perceived something that the rest of us did not. There were millions of conservatives in America who considered ABC, NBC and CBS to be far too liberal. There was an appetite for news and opinion with a conservative spin. And again, the American public got what it wanted. Fox was so successful that it encouraged NBCUniversal to turn its cable channel, MSNBC, into a liberal counterweight to Fox. So that now we have what I like to call "news you can choose." "Tell me your political bias, and we'll amplify it for you."

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles