'Right to recall is victory of the common man'

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

'Right to recall is victory of the common man'

From being a small town politician to hogging national limelight by winning the trust of voters when they exercised their first 'right to recall' vote in Rajasthan, Manglore Nagar Palika chairman Ashok Jain is a happy man. With Anna Hazare cap on his head, he says his fight is against corruption. Excerpts of an interview with him -

What are your reactions on the election results?

Jain: It is definitely the victory of the common man. I had joined Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Admi Party in November. As people know that the party is fighting for the right to recall an elected public representative, I am happy that the elections were held. I have retained my chair, but the bigger thing is that the elections have shown people's mandate against corruption and political manoeuvering. These elections will pave the way to increased awareness among people about their democratic rights in our municipality area.

Did caste, money or religion-based politics play any part in your victory?

Jain: I am a minority in my municipality area as there are only 20 Jain families living here. There are about 3,500 voters from the Mali community, about 5,500 Muslims and about 3,000 from scheduled castes besides nearly 150 families from the general category. So, one can see, the caste politics cannot play any part in my victory. I had not spent a lot of money on my elections except a very little amount on hoardings and banners.

You have accused a senior Congress leader of lobbying against you.

Jain: That is correct. I had won the election for the chairman post in November 2009. The candidate from the Congress party came second in the counting. I soon realized that it had become an ego issue for the local legislator and senior Congress leader Pramod Jain Bhaya. The municipality members from the Congress as well as BJP voted in favour of a no-confidence motion against me. I challenged my rivals to prove any case of corruption that took place during my tenure, but they failed to do so.

How do you see the 'right to recall' system in Rajasthan?

Jain: It is surely a great tool for people to exercise their democratic rights. I think the voters in my municipality area are smarter now and they know that they are empowered. However, the 'right to recall' is still a very complicated procedure in Rajasthan. It should be made smoother and less complicated.

'Right to recall is victory of the common man' - The Times of India

3. Ray

Rajasthan official retains post in first right to recall vote

Rajasthan, a municipality chairman has been able to retain his elected position as voters cast their ballot against his recall, officials said Friday.

In accordance with the Rajasthan Municipal Act, 2009 -- that gives the voter the right to recall -- people of Mangrol Nagar Palika (municipality) in Baran district, 300 km from Jaipur, voted in the election Wednesday.

In the general elections, voters cast their votes in favour of candidates whereas in right to recall elections, votes are cast in the favour of the motion and against the motion.

"The counting of votes took place today (Friday). A total of 10,988 voters exercised their right. Of them, 7,243 votes were against the recall," said a Baran district election commission officer.

Chairmen and mayors of the municipalities and municipal corporations are elected directly by the people in Rajasthan.

The officer added that the voting was held about 11 months after 17 of the 20 members of the Mangrol Nagar Palika moved a no-confidence motion against the elected chairman Ashok Jain.

"The no-confidence motion was passed Jan 4. The proposal to recall Ashok Jain was forwarded to the district election officer and then the state government. When it passed each of these stages, the election to recall the chairman was held Wednesday. However, as only around 34 per cent people voted in favour of the recall, the chairman will retain his position," said the officer.

Rajasthan official retains post in first right to recall vote – Sulekha News

4. Ray

If there is the right to recall and also referandum on major issues, Indian democracy will become vibrant and the politicians will not be able to take the Nations for a ride as they have been doing!

sasi and Patriot like this.