Rifle Factory Ishapore: Pictures from RFI Calendar of Year 2011

pmaitra

The following pictures have been scanned from the RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) Calendar of the year 2011, which was kindly gifted to me by my 'friend', who is an employee at the RFI. [Part 01 of 02]

pistol9auto1a.jpg
revolver22.jpg
rs315.jpg
sr22.jpg
sr3006.jpg

N.B.: These pictures provide an in-exhaustive list of RFI products.

Last edited:

pmaitra

The following pictures have been scanned from the RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) Calendar of the year 2011, which was kindly gifted to me by my 'friend', who is an employee at the RFI. [Part 02 of 02]

r5561b1fixedbutt.jpg
r556drillpractice.jpg
r5561nsasfoldablebutt.jpg
r556excalibur.jpg
r556kalantak07fixedbutt.jpg
r556kalantak07foldableb.jpg
r762sniper.jpg

N.B.: These pictures provide an in-exhaustive list of RFI products.

Last edited:

pmaitra

great pic, specially INSAS.
Thanks sayareakd. I have asked this 'friend', who works at RFI, about the purpose of that short barrel under the main barrel of the Kalantak'07. He said that he believed that it was a flash suppressor to take in a bulk of the expanding gas after the bullet has passed, but then he wasn't sure. He said he will to ask his 'sir', i.e. one of his teachers at RFI and get back with more accurate information.

There is also a typo in the calendar from which I scanned the images (Post #1, Picture #3).

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

The following pictures have been scanned from the RFI (Rifle Factory Ishapore) Calendar of the year 2011, which was kindly gifted to me by my 'friend', who is an employee at the RFI. [Part 02 of 02]

I saw this rifle with commando (probably para military) he was doing security duty dress in all black. Good to see it is now given to our forces.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Never saw this one before..
Thnx for sharing..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanks sayareakd. I have asked this 'friend', who works at RFI, about the purpose of that short barrel under the main barrel of the Kalantak'07. He said that he believed that it was a flash suppressor to take in a bulk of the expanding gas after the bullet has passed, but then he wasn't sure. He said he will to ask his 'sir', i.e. one of his teachers at RFI and get back with more accurate information.

There is also a typo in the calendar from which I scanned the images (Post #1, Picture #3).

Its looks to me more like attached weight for balance..
I guess the rifle must have auto selection and tend to go up when fire..

I never saw it on field and heard that it was rejected, If not and successful, it will help in CT atmosphere..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Its looks to me more like attached weight for balance..
I guess the rifle must have auto selection and tend to go up when fire..

I never saw it on field and heard that it was rejected, If not and successful, it will help in CT atmosphere..
yeah that must be the case

pmaitra

PDC: Pre-Discharge Chamber

There has been enough speculation about the short cylinder under the barrel of the Kalantak'07, highlighted in red boxes in the two images below:

Name: It is called the PDC or Pre-Discharge Chamber.

Operation: When the bullet passes the gas-outlet on top, some of the gas goes into the gas-pipe on the top of the barrel and pushes the piston back. Now, the bullet travels further forward and part of the remaining expanding gas gets into the PDC under the barrel and expands (and cools down due to Joule-Thompson effect). As the bullet exits the barrel, there is a sudden reduction in pressure at the barrel end and the the gas inside the PDC is sucked out.

Purpose: Reduction of the temperature, and consequently, the flash of the exhaust gas following discharge of the bullet from the barrel; the flash being otherwise extremely noticeable in short barreled firearms.

Patent: Yes. Owned by OFB.

Source: My 'friend,' a junior employee at RFI today asked his 'sir' and actually met one of the scientists who perfected this device.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

There has been enough speculation about the short cylinder under the barrel of the Kalantak'07, highlighted in red boxes in the two images below:

Name: It is called the PDC or Pre-Discharged Chamber.

Operation: When the bullet passes the gas-outlet on top, some of the gas goes into the gas-pipe on the top of the barrel and pushed the piston back. Now, the bullet travels further forward and part of the remaining expanding gas gets into the PDC under the barrel and expands (and cools down due to Joule-Thompson effect). As the bullet exits the barrel, there is a sudden reduction in pressure at the barrel end and the the gas inside the PDC is sucked out of the PDS.

Purpose: Reduction of the temperature, and consequently, the flash of the exhaust gas following discharge of the bullet from the barrel; the flash being otherwise extremely noticeable in short barreled firearms.

Patent: Yes. Owned by OFB.

Source: My 'friend,' a junior employee at RFI today asked his 'sir' and actually met one of the scientists who perfected this device.
great info, this is called thinking out of the box...............great work guys at OFB.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles