Reunification - Is it time we started contemplating

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by trackwhack, Dec 13, 2011.

?

Should the sub-continent (India, Pak, Nepal, Sri Lanka, B'desh, Bhutan) be reunified?

1. Yes

15.4%
  2. No

76.9%
  3. Confused!!!

7.7%
  1. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Now that even many Pakistani's acknowledge the fallacy of partition, is it time to start openly discussing reunification of India. Had I the authority I would make a proposition that the Indian subcontinent be reunified as a Sovereign Nation with autonomous regions. Here are some preliminary thoughts

1) The scope would be Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan.
    2) Not a military reunification. A larger plan should be proposed with a 2 - 3 decade timeline to negotiate and organically absorb these societies
    3) Autonomy would be absolute to the extent that Autonomous regions can choose to write and practice their own constitution as long as practices like stoning and sati are acknowledged as illegal. So parts of Pakistan that choose to practice Sharia law - NWFP/FATA and Nepal which calls itself a Hindu nation, are allowed to base their regions' constitutions accordingly.

Though there will be violence and opposition (just like when India was partitioned), I think over one or two decades we will settle down.

btw. Tibet is out of scope because - Tibet was never a part of India or China and this proposition is for a non-military reunification. Any liberation of Tibet would involve war.

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Whatever for?

Why should there be any reunification?

Why should India be saddled with a failed set?

rock127, Tolaha, jackprince and 7 others like this.
  4. trackwhack

Because

1) The ideologies that caused the failure will be eventually dead. It may or may not peak and culminate in a nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan. But any ideology that does not promote economic well being of a society, eventually fails. History is proof.
    2) If it does not come to nuclear exchange between India and Pakistan, wont a peaceful reunification be better for the region and the world, rather than a knife edge scenario that we have today?
    3) Since we practice democracy, a more even demography of social and religious spread may ensure more even distribution of wealth and benefits. (Or it may result in a catastrophe too, not sure)

See, there are many reasons that can be put forward as for an against such a debate. As always I would be delighted to read a response more detailed than a one liner.

Rage likes this.
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The only "unification" that was possible was South Asian economic unity/integration. But then Indo-Pak relations made sure nothin happened.

Political reunion is just not possible or even welcome. We are better off without all those failed states.

rock127, pack leader, mki and 5 others like this.
  6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am not denying that you have good reasons, but in practical terms, I daresay they will even bother.

Have you been to Pakistan?

I have as a child been to both sides of Pakistan and I have way later in time met Pakistanis in between.

They are nice on the outside, but I wonder if they are very warm to any identification with India as a union or even a confederation!

I maybe wrong, but the little that I have experienced does not show any glimmer of hope and so, being pragmatic, I see no hope! Not that I would like to hope for such a thing as reunification for the simple reason we have enough of problems as it is. We can do without adding to the burden to include the issue of who is a Muslim and who is not (Ahemdiyyas) or that Shias are not worth a candle to Sunnis and so on.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
    maomao and Nagraj like this.
  7. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The number of Pakistanis who "acknowledge the fallacy" of partition is miniscule. And no matter what they think, I am of the firm belief that partition was a good thing. Thank god it happened (of course, I am very sad about the loss of lives).

I don't want any violence and bloodshed - not a bit of it. :( We can do without it.

What material benefit will India get out of this? It is the Pakis we are talking about, and not Singapore or Dubai :lol:

8. trackwhack

Greater India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lets not have the one vile state of Pakistan shatter the concept of reunification. What are your thoughts on limiting the scope to all other nations except Pakistan. ie. Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan

9. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

is this a joke????
    we are talking about large chuks of land whose citizens hate us???
    do you really want these bigots to have same rights as you inside our country??
    i am guessing since you are talking about akhand bharat you might have right wing leaning ideology.
    do let me know what's your plan when a large chunk of pakistani population starts asking for blashphemy laws???
    and bangaladeshis want "refrences of koran in constitution???"

10. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

why do u want to take over their problems,burden and debt at the expenses of our tax payers money.. pakistan has nothing to offer.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  11. Bangalorean

I wouldn't mind the others - a little doubtful about Bangladesh though.

But frankly, the moment an Indian even suggests something like this, it puts nations like BD, Nepal and SL on the defensive. I am not sure whether this will receive an enthusiastic response from their side.

12. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Not Possible or May i say "Impossible"

On one side, Pakistan want to see India to bleed till death. Now, even Bangladesh started following same tune.

If Pakistan + BD can remain friendly with India, Then the purpose of separate nation based on religion will be questioned.

If it's based on economy, Then Infiltration from Bangladesh will hit new high or may be Indian would become minority in Assam. Then it's anybody guess! Pakistan won't miss a chance to send as much as terrorist as possible. It's their inherit DNA problem.

.....and BTW, why India will bother to have such Failed nation as so called partners ?? We have huge scope of opportunity as we already have population of 1.21 Bn. We don't need them and If they need then it can't be trusted. Be sure on that.

Bhutan, Nepal, SL possible. Indeed, 80% Products of Bhutan and Nepal are Indian made. Even SL economy is highly influenced by India.

13. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

according to the 2001 census the muslim population in india is 13.4 percent . when the results of the 2011 census come out the muslim population will be doubtlessly around 14 percent , considering the faster growth rate of muslims ( the last fact confirmed by the various censuses over the years ).

now if we add the muslim populations of pakistan and bangladesh to it , what will be the percentage of muslims in the united india ?? between 35 to 40 percent !!!

now the muslim population of pakistan is growing at a phenomenal rate , much faster than even indian muslims .

if we add this fast growing muslim population to our country , very soon we will have a situation where muslims may outnumber hindus in another 50 years .

and i DONT want to live in a muslim majority country .

in fact nobody wants....

so quit your fantastic dreams , will you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

peacecracker, maomao, Nagraj and 2 others like this.
  14. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

A whole Pakistani generation would have to come to grip with their identity for any chance of reunification to happen. Their present generation is anti-Indian to the core being fed with false history and propaganda all their life. Their irrational hate for everything Indian is part of the reason they are in this mess right now.
    I don't believe that in present scenario even an economic reunification is possible let alone a political one, a Pakistani would much rather embrace a Han identity than an Indian one. Ditto for Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

15. Galaxy

There should be Akhand Bharat. It might be difficult but possible and it will good for us. :)

Sindhe, Gilgit-Balistan, A'than-Tajikistan border, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Burma, Few Islands of Indonesia (Java and nearby), Aksai Chin, Parts of Tibet (nearby Kailash Mansarovar) should be part of India. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos should be autonomous country.

[​IMG]

16. trackwhack

I am not a right wing anything man. Just wanted to get a general consensus on what people thought about the topic. Not inviting anyone's aggression. Reunification, I think is a great way to reduce hostilities. Now our case is unique, very different from Germany, Korea, China/Taiwan etc because all those states had ideological differences based on political direction. On the other hand our ideological differences are based on religion.

B.t.w. Right wingers are the ones who want to make India a Hindu Nation. They will be the last ones propogating reunification. If anything I am left wing.

Hey Spiez, welcome back. :)

The Messiah and SPIEZ like this.
  17. Bangalorean

But on the other hand, the right-wingers have unrealistic dreams about so-called "Akhand Bharat" :pound:

18. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

The young Pakistanis do not to a large extent define themselves as not Indians like the previous generation. They haven't lived with "Indians" nor interacted with "Indians".

19. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Neighbourhood is an important entity in statecraft and existence. Successful management of neighbourhood is essential for happy, peaceful and prosperous existence.

Reunification may not be physical but existential established by a variety of commonality, of purpose, interests, mutual accommodation etc.

Having peaceful and understanding neighbourhood is higher gaol rather than managing neighbourhood by conflict. Chanakya should be followed in letter and spirit for managing neighbourhood by Sam, Dam, Danda and Bheda. There should not be raging fire in neighbourhood or we will have millions refugee problems as has happened in the past.

20. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

India is not a Hindu nation. She is a secular state, no other religion has to worry.

Thanks mate!

The Messiah and Param like this.
  21. Galaxy

If China can claim Tibet, Xinjiang, South China Island, Arunchal Pradesh, Manchuria, Part of A'than, Bhutan, Vietnam, Japan by merging 10 different dynasty as one that also by going 1,000-2,000 back.

Then we can also claim as all were part of two Kingdom i.e. Maurya Empire to Chola+Khmer Kingdom.