Retired scientist’s daughter stripped & thrashed

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Apr 18, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Retired scientist’s daughter stripped, thrashed in Bengal

BARUIPUR ( WEST BENGAL): A 30-year-old woman lay bleeding in front of her home for two hours after allegedly being molested and beaten up by miscreants on Sunday while police looked the other way. She says she was stripped and assaulted in front of her father, a retired scientist, by their landlord and members of a local club.

Police took their time responding to her SOS call. The two policemen who finally arrived did not take a complaint, or help her or her father, Aparesh Bhattacharya, get to a hospital. They left them bleeding on the road. Bhattacharya and his daughter went to SSKM Hospital. They filed a complaint at Baruipur police station on Tuesday.

The main accused, Goutam Pal, denies the charges. On Tuesday, Pal's wife filed a counter complaint, accusing the scientist of molesting his daughter. The locals are too scared to talk about the incident, saying that those accused in the assault are members of Trinamool Congress and CPM.

The woman, a law graduate, and her father rented Pal's first-floor apartment in Mullickpur in February this year after Bhattacharya retired from the Indian Institute of Chemical Biology. Bhattacharya proposed to buy the flat from Pal but the two parties got into a legal wrangle over the purchase agreement. Pal started asking Bhattacharya to vacate the flat in March.

The family says a gang of around 20 men barged into the house around 1.30pm on Sunday and attacked them. The goons stripped the woman, molested her and dragged the father-daughter out on to the street where the assault continued. Someone informed Baruipur police station but the goons had left well before the cops arrived.

Police have registered a case of attempt to rape, molestation and grievous injury against Pal and others. Trinamool MLA Biman Banerjee denied the club was involved. CPM district secretary Sujan Chabraborty said: "I do not want to get into the dispute on the possession of the house as it will be decided by court. But I strongly protest the atrocity on the woman."

Retired scientist’s daughter stripped, thrashed in Bengal - The Times of India

3. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

What comment i would make here..

Fast recovery to wounded..

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Two issues:
    • Change the property rental laws. People should vacate within a month of issuance of vacation notice.
    • One should desist from taking the law into one's own hands. I foresee the CPM cadres facing justice, but the TMC cadres will probably go scott free.

5. lemontree

lemontree Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

We must have the right to bear arms....

Razor likes this.
  6. pmaitra

^^

I second that.

Right to bear arms and right to kick out tenants after a month's notice as well!

7. lemontree

lemontree Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

That right already exists in many states in the form of the Leave & Licence agreements at least as per the state Rent control Act.

Here the issue has been that the Prof gave an advance of 2 lac and defaulted in paying the remaining amount. There are hundreds of such cases in India.

8. pmaitra

I agree. That is why I said no one should take the law in his own hands.

My comment was more general. There are many tenants who don't want to leave and start off litigation in courts. The case becomes subjudice and the landlord is forced to allow the tenants to live on the current rent for years, and over a period of time, with inflation, it is gross injustice to the landlord.

There are many such cases in WB where it is usually the landlords who are exploited.

9. Liberty_and_Freedom

Liberty_and_Freedom Regular Member

I believe this issue stems from the ultra leftist ideology that was spread by Jyoti-dadu and his cohorts over several years.
    The ultra leftist concept that a rich man (a landlord for the case in point) is evil and has acquired his money by evil means is hysterically funny. Unfortunately, this has been ingrained in the psyche of people and has entrenched itself in legalese.

The goings on in this particular case seem too murky at this point. Can’t make out who is guilty or whether it's both parties. Let's see how things pan out.

10. pmaitra

That was true when landlord was the zamindar, but I do not know how this got to include homeowners as well. I am sorry I do not have the details. Moreover, Kolkata as always had less support for the Left Front, so the corporation laws could not have been severely influenced by the Left alone.

11. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

There are many cases in Mumbai where the landlords are exploited.

We own a lot of property in Mumbai which may be worth at least 100 crores in todays market. But due to the tenancy laws ( or lack of) we cannot get them vacated. So our strategy is to not maintain the property and let nature take its course and let the structure collapse. The tenants cannot do repairs without permission. Serves them right for not paying the going rate of rents.

12. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

Whoever is guilty, the girl need not have been stripped. As Pmaitra said, the dudes shouldn't take the law into their own hands.
    And right to bear arms = +1

13. pmaitra

Aaah, now I see why you have been liking my posts. :troll:

Just kidding.

Yes, same thing in Calcutta as well. Especially in the Burrabazar area, many buildings either catch fire or collapse because:
    • landlord issues eviction notice
    • tenants refuse to vacate
    • either landlord or tenant(s) file(s) a case - the case goes on for years
    • the case remains subjudice
    • the rent remains fixed
    • the landlord refuses to carry out maintenance
    • result: collapse or fire, and death

14. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

There are a lot of sqwatters in India, I had 3 of my properties worth crore's and would fetch me a market rate in rent of 10 lacs or a little less/month for 6 years till last year. They have been paying me 50,000/month and wouldnt vacate even when I gave them 1 year to look for a new place, finally after a 2 year court battle, I gave them some compensation and made them leave, that said there is no right for the landlord to physically abuse anyone.

15. LalTopi

LalTopi Regular Member

Could that be the reason why properties in Mumbai and other cities look so badly maintained? I mean not even a good paint job. I can understand poor areas, but even richer areas do not seem that well maintained compared to comparable cities overseas.

16. pmaitra

Let us not confuse landlords by virtue of a building and landlord by virtue of land.

Urban Land (Ceiling & Regulation) Act, 1976, holds all over India. It is a central act.
    West Bengal Land Reforms Amendment Act (1979), a state act, was in force, but recently, some changes have been made to encourage industries.

17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Goon raj is returning in full force!

High time the Parliament passes the Police Reform Bill so that they are not in the control of Political Parties!