Respect our soldiers, stop parading them at Wagah

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If they are normal soldiers trained for combat, then any soldier wearing full ceremonial uniform is a ceremonial soldier. What was your point in stating that the soldiers are 'ceremonial soldiers'? That was moot point from starting.
Your point was that we shouldn't have ceremonial soldiers, because they're trained, and if they go down in an attack, a trained person goes down. My point was that ceremonial soldiers around the world are trained soldiers, and so their being trained is irrelevant. Hence your point was moot.

Each and every soldier marching down the raj-path is ceremonial soldier.
Yeah, and a trained one. Just like the ceremonial soldier in Tienanmen Square, Red Square, Capitol Hill, etc. They're put there not just to serve as decoration.

Point out where did I say so?
You implied so. Your course of argument was that we shouldn't have ceremonial soldiers at Wagah, because if they fall to an attack (which they're trained to repel), then the monies spent on their training goes to waste. My response to that, was that it didn't matter if we have ceremonial soldiers at Wagah. They're not the only ones guarding the border, and there are men in combat uniform tasked with preventing those in ceremonial uniform from getting into harm's way.

Also, standing outside Buckingham palace doesn't affect health adversely.
You stand in the middle of a big smoking city the whole day, and compare your health to a guy who performs a 30-minute ceremony at a lush-green international border outpost, in a mostly rural setting.

So, do you want to say that you have no problem if that function affects the soldiers health?
There are worse things that can affect a soldier's health. Performing that ceremony won't be the only thing they'll do in their careers. Armies rotate ceremonial jobs among their various divisions and subdivisions.

And for what economy?
The economy of hundreds of people living along the road between Amritsar and the border, and the public image of the Army in the eyes of ordinary people who aren't DFI members, who don't get their daily dose of 9PM television-outrage, and who probably don't hang around on the internet much.

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
Your point was that we shouldn't have ceremonial soldiers, because they're trained, and if they go down in a , a trained person goes down. My point was that ceremonial soldiers around the world are trained soldiers, and so their being trained is irrelevant. Hence your point was moot.
Yeah, and a trained one. Just like the ceremonial soldier in Tienanmen Square, Red Square, Capitol Hill, etc. They're put there not just to serve as decoration.
You implied so. Your course of argument was that we shouldn't have ceremonial soldiers at Wagah, because if they fall to an attack (which they're trained to repel), then the monies spent on their training goes to waste. My response to that, was that it didn't matter if we have ceremonial soldiers at Wagah. They're not the only ones guarding the border, and there are men in combat uniform tasked with preventing those in ceremonial uniform from getting into harm's way.
You stand in the middle of a big smoking city the whole day, and compare your health to a guy who performs a 30-minute ceremony at a lush-green international border outpost, in a mostly rural setting.
There are worse things that can affect a soldier's health. Performing that ceremony won't be the only thing they'll do in their careers. Armies rotate ceremonial jobs among their various divisions and subdivisions.
The economy of hundreds of people living along the road between Amritsar and the border, and the public image of the Army in the eyes of ordinary people who aren't DFI members, who don't get their daily dose of 9PM television-outrage, and who probably don't hang around on the internet much.
Your point was that we shouldn't have ceremonial soldiers, because they're trained, and if they go down in a , a trained person goes down. My point was that ceremonial soldiers around the world are trained soldiers, and so their being trained is irrelevant. Hence your point was moot.
Where did I say so?
You need to read carefully Mr.
Ceremonial soldiers at wagah are also fully trained for combat. We can't loose (discharged from combat duty) a trained soldier due to injuries sustained during this kind of parade/ceremony.
Yes, a trained soldier should not go down for a ceremony And specially not for a ceremony which even doesn't follow basic drill rules. Any ceremony which hampers with the primary objective of a soldier should be done away with.

So, you referring to them as 'ceremonial soldiers' is both moot and demeaning. They very best be described as on ceremonial duty.

Did I say not trained? It was I who said they are trained for combat which is their primary duty. Even Republic day was toned down during Kargil war, as those soldiers were serving their primary duty.
Not decoration but tradition. And wagah foot thumping are neither. And more over it is infantile and in contravention of basic drill rules.

I never implied so, if you feel so, your cognition and deduction error.

What 'attack'? The OP and I am talking about is a infantile way the ceremony is carried out. Especially I am highlighting 'goose steps'. Where did the OP write about any attack by terrorist attack?
You surely read the OP article? He is merely reflecting on the issue after the suicide blast.

And, to make it clear, the foot tromping needs to go, but the ceremonial lowering of flag, which follows a certain military decorum will stay.

Yes, a 30 minute drill can be more hazardous depending on various factors than the situation mentioned above.

Yes, many things can go wrong, means a thing that is systematically going wrong and you know about it, you have studied it in detail shouldn't be corrected? What a logic.

In the same argument, HAPO bags for Siachen shouldn't have been developed isn't it? Many other things can go wrong, why bother?

Economy is a strawman's argument. The last time the ceremony was toned down, it didn't affect, and will not affect if further toned down. The article about it is posed in my earlier reply.

Army's image isn't hinged on the goose stepping BSF jawan. And it is a tough ask if you want to risk a soldiers health for PR exercise for army/bsf.
That will show that you are bankrupt as far as ideas are concerned.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
It would be stupidity to close down the ceremony because of one attack, that too, on the other side.
I don't support closing the ceremony just due to one attack. My concerns are different.

Neither side will let go of the commercial benefits of the ceremony.
To conitnue doing something wrong because it helps local economy does not justify it. Soldier's job is to risk his health and life for the defense of country; not for a circus parade so that some tickets and snacks are sold. Managing economy at its own cost is not the Army's job, it is Government's.

The author's argument was that in parading them, we're being disrespectful to them.
Only parading them is not being dis-respectful. But what happens in that ceremony is not just any other parade.
By parading them, both IA and PA are getting PR for their armies, which could help with not just recruitments, but also bond army-civilian relationship.
I don't know how many potential soldiers have got influenced by that ceremony and joined Army. But there must be a better way of showing 'Why join Army' than playing with the soldier's health.

For me, what is it that the soldier's health is being risked for - is more important and preceeding point; than whether the soldier's health is affected or not, how much it is affected etc.

Last but not the last, the ceremony also helps Pak project an equal-equal with India. If we really have to do this, I'd prefer India being bracketed with China instead.
A ceremony that doesn't compromise the soldier's health is all fine by me.

Regards,
Virendra

Ky Loung

I don't think it really a big deal but yeah they are kind of overdoing it. However they been doing it sine 1959 so it now become a military tradition. Fighting military traditions is like hitting your head on a brick wall.

US military don't parade often. Memorial day is our yearly military parade. Just a dozen of military people in each of the arm forces marching follow by civilians and retire military vets. Memorial day is honoring our military dead. Presidential Inaugural parade is where the military pay it respect for the new President but like Memorial Day it is pretty small. The only real big military parade is when we won a war. Returning troops marching through NYC without military hardware. Part of US military tradition.

What we have are special drill platoons like the USMC Silent Drill Platoon doing shows for the general public. Very popular in the USA.

USMC Silent Drill Platoon - YouTube

Last edited:

archie

Country flag
The Cerimony is SYMBOL its a symbol to pump up the pride of citizens .. just like any monument . Would you say any national moument as just brick and stone? its cycological for the nation and her citizens to have some parade or tradition.. this is one such thing and its very widly acknoledged across India.Tell me one other place in India / cermony where a common man gets to shout patriotic cry and the solder gets to hear it?

There was reports of lasting injuries because of thumping and it was thumping was toned down by making changes to the cermony. If it needs to be toned down even more it can be.. but the Tradition of "Beating retreat" (the name of the ceremony i think . wiki says the same) has to go on as its an active symbol

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles