Removal of DSGMC chief’s turban at Rome airport:

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Removal of DSGMC chief’s turban at Rome airport: Sukhbir takes up issue with PM

CHANDIGARH: Sukhbir Singh Badal, President Shiromani Akali Dal and Deputy Chief Minister, Punjab today wrote to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid protesting against Rome Airport Authorities asking Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee Chief to remove his turban for security checking. He also appreciated the stand of GK, who steadfastly stood by his Sikh values and refused to remove his turban.

In a communiqué to the PM and External Affairs Minister, Badal said that Sikhs were being deliberately targeted in the airports of Italy repeatedly and Government of India owes and explanation to the country for its complete failure to safeguard the interests of Sikhs despite various hollow assurances. Registering a strong protest in a communiqué to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, Badal said that he on behalf of entire Sikh community was lodging a protest over intolerable way Sikhs are treated at airports in Italy and other countries of the world.

Badal said that earlier incident of forcible removal of turban of Commander of Jet Airways at Milan airport and now removal of turban of DSGMC President, representing the Sikh Community of Delhi reflects that Congress led UPA Government was bent upon hurting the sentiments of Sikh community and reflects the Union Government’s utter failure to ensure dignity of Sikhs.

Pointing to the total failure of Congress led UPA government in pressurizing Italy government, Badal said that removal of turban of GK at Rome Airport was reminiscent of earlier incident that happened with Ravijodh Singh Dhupia, a commander of Jet Airways, who was forced to remove his turban at Milan Airport.

He said that SAD protested against maltreatment of Ravjodh Singh, the Prime Minister had assured that he has taken up this issue with Italy Government and there would not be any repeat of such incident. He said that repeated incidents of deliberate harassment of Sikhs especially in Italy convey an impression that they were being specifically targeted under an agenda.

He said that it was intolerable and unfortunate that the officials deployed on international airports again and again harass Sikhs by removing their turbans under security check excuses. He said that repeated incidents in the Italy have proved that the Union Government has failed to convey to the Italian Government and to the other governments not to remove the turbans of Sikhs. He said that to ask a Sikh to remove his turban was in fact an atrocity on him and all over the world Sikhs in one voice have stood up to call this an act of great violence and cruelty on Sikhs.

The SAD President said that it was surprising that despite several assurances given by the Union Minister of External Affairs in the Lok Sabha such incidents could not have been stopped. He said that earlier Amritinder Singh, Coach of Golfer Jeev Milkha singh was asked by the airport security staff at Milan to remove his turban not just once on his arrival at Milan Airport but also again when he was departing from the same place, which was stark example how Sikhs are being treated at airports in Italy.

Badal said that such behaviour in the airports of Italy were unacceptable to the Sikh community and he on behalf the Sikh community condemn such acts. He said that Union Government should bring the recent incident to the notice of Italy Government and other countries of the world that turban was the most recognizable feature of a Sikhs, unlike other head coverings it was an inextricable part of Sikh identity and was worn by Sikhs at all times to cover their unshorn hair, a mandatory article of their faith.

Lamenting on the Union Government for its complete failure on this issue, Badal said that it was most regrettable that despite our large-scale protest Sikhs were continued to be treated in this manner in USA, France, Australia and many other countries. Badal urged that Union Government should ensure that in future such unwarranted incidents do not occur and special advisories be sent through all our foreign missions and offices to sensitize about the Turban of Sikhs.

- See more at: Removal of DSGMC chief’s turban at Rome airport: Sukhbir takes up issue with PM - Punjabnewsline.com

This is getting to be too much of 'profiling'.

They have done it to our Ministers, ex Presidents, CJI and we protest and they throw it in the dustbin!

It is time to do what in Indian English they say Tit for the Tat.

Made some of their Presidents who visit and their Prime Minster subject to a totally nude search!

But will the Indian lackeys who are in Government and who are so keen to please Pakistan and others, but not their citizens in any field where we are humiliated to including this profiling have the guts?

Why must we as Indians be kicked around everywhere in the world?

KUshed bacche is all these acnes and freckles?

When will you be a Man beyond your constituency where you find your gonads to threaten murder and mayhem who expose that you are a fraud?

It is time to show your Goods for India!

Hopefully, you are for India!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    VIP and parijataka like this.
  3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

there is no harm if the turban is removed in a private room for security checking...

my dad who wears turban had no issues while coming back from Rome to amsterdam

4. Ray

Maybe the times have changed.

In the earlier days even touching a Sikh's turban was taken to be an affront!

They said it is the Sikh's Sartaz. His iman! His pride!

Next they will say remove the lethal ones of the Ks of the Sikh faith i.e. kirpan (symbolic), kada etc.

I heard the TV explanation of the chap held up. He said pat it, if you wish, run a scanner, but don't take it off.

I have helped many a Sikh tie his turban and once taken off, it is real difficult to set it back in place in a neat manner!

Of course. I would not know how difficult it is to refit a turban tied like a cloth (that looks like a bandage; no offence meant!) that you see with the British Sikhs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

5. Abhijeet Dey

Abhijeet Dey Regular Member

This is a retaliation by Italians for the arrest of two italian marines by India. Italians are also taking sides with Pakistan (Uniting for Consensus Group) by stopping expansion of UN security council and preventing India becoming a Permanent Member.

See link below:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniting_for_Consensus

6. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

That's why we have an Italian Mama at the helms of the country's affairs.

India is a joke among the community of nations.

Only strength respect strength. we gotta learn the Russian and Israeli Methods otherwise India will soon become a footnote in History books.

TrueSpirit likes this.
  7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

well as i said rome airport official might not ask every sikh to check turban. it may be several sardars came together and Italians got scared.

its also true touching turban is consider as offence. but time has changed after sept 11. for security if sardar himself allow to check his turban in private room ,there should be no harm

8. Ray

What you are saying is the sensible way out.

I have no quibbles on that.

What I am saying that is that they (westerners) are treated as royalty by us and we are treated as horse manure.

We should do what Brazil did.

They reciprocated the US in strict checking, identification and iris check and other things as the US did to them!

I have seen how we fawn over those who are from the West as if they were lilies and touch me nots!

Sure, one must have all sorts of checks in today's dangerous environments. I have no quibbles on that.

Our ex President is stripped searched while their ex Presidents sail through like the sea breeze!

If we keep selling ourselves cheap, then we will be taken as cheap!

and Khurshed is hell bent selling us cheap, even to a country that is no country - Pakistan!

One wonders what prompts his fascinated endearment to Pakistan!

I can understand Sonia Gandhi's feeling toward Italy. She was born and brought up there as many ex Indians have fondness for India even though they have acquired foreign nationalities. That is natural.

But what is Khurshid's love for Pakistan about?

He is selling us cheap across the world!

TrueSpirit and Blackwater like this.
  9. Twinblade

Twinblade Senior Member Senior Member

The first and foremost Sikh value is equality of all human beings. Taking offence to standard procedures world over, through which everyone passes, is not one of them. There is no disgrace in voluntarily removing your turban to assist the security guard who has to pat humid armpits and cup the genitals of thousands of people everyday for a living. Everyone gets a pat down, everyone is expected to remove their headgear for examination whether one likes it or not. Offences exist only when they are taken. If an eskimo comes to new delhi airport and claims he cannot remove his shoes on religious grounds, the CISF guy will give him a nice swift danda on his eskimo bottom and make him remove his shoes. If you don't like the rules, don't travel by air.

10. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

The news title "Removal of DSGMC chief’s turban at Rome airport: Sukhbir takes up issue with PM" seems to say he was forced to remove Turban but it didn't happen.

Below is a proper title...

Turban Issue: Italy says it is sensitive to concerns of Sikh Community

Italy Thursday conveyed to India that it was sensitive to the concerns of the Sikh community in the wake of a controversy after a Sikh delegation was held up at Rome airport and members asked to remove their turbans.

The Sikh delegation, which included president of the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee, had been stopped at Rome airport on Aug 6. After the Indian mission in Rome took up the matter, the Italian foreign office intervened with the Rome airport authorities and "facilitated the departure of the Sikh delegation without insisting on removing the turbans". The delegation left for Dubai late Wednesday night through the VIP lounge, said official sources.Italian Ambassador Daniele Mancini Thursday met Sudhir Vyas, secretary (West) in the ministry of external affairs in South Block during which the "sensitivity of the situation" was impressed on the Italian envoy, said the source.Mancini conveyed that there is a large Sikh population in Italy and the authorities there "are sensitive to the concerns of the Sikh community on such matters"."He also mentioned that strict guidelines have been issued for officials to follow in such matters. He also assured that he would once again convey the sensitivity of the issue to the Italian authorities," the sources said

11. rock127

Another old news in 2011... they say "A decree by the Italian interior ministry later said there would be no more checks of Sikh turbans at airports, except if they set off any "alarms". "

Sikhs will no longer have to remove turbans in Italy - Times Of India

NEW DELHI: Sikhs travelling to Italy will no longer have to remove their turbans at the airport during security screening. This was officially announced by the Italian interior ministry after bilateral discussions between foreign minister SM Krishna and his Italian counterpart, Franco Frattini, in Rome on Friday.

The turban will be accepted as a symbol of religion when Sikhs are photographed for identification cards at local police stations in Italy. Official sources said this was a "big achievement" for Indian diplomacy.Krishna, who is in Rome to participate in the 150-year celebrations of Italian unification, made a strong case for Sikhs to be treated more respectfully. He told Frattini that even the European Union accepts Sikh turbans as a religious symbol, so Italy should not discriminate against them either. He pointed out better practices in the UK which had started a more equitable system -- let a man touch his own turban and run it through an explosives check.

A decree by the Italian interior ministry later said there would be no more checks of Sikh turbans at airports, except if they set off any "alarms". The decree said there would be "respect of privacy protection and fundamental freedoms including those related to the expression of religious beliefs''. The new instructions have been issued after the talks with Krishna.

Krishna had made the turban issue the main point on his agenda -- more respectful treatment for Sikhs entering Italy as well as those getting photographed for ID cards. On March 15, Amritinder Singh, the coach of ace golfer Jeev Milkha Singh, was asked to remove his turban while he was about to board the flight to Sicily. That led to protests in India. The government had then taken up the matter very strongly with the Italian authorities.

During the discussions, Frattini and his officials said as a first step Sikhs would not be expected to remove their turbans in a public place, but would be given a separate room with a mirror for the purpose. Earlier this was even done in washrooms which is not acceptable to Sikhs. In an attempt to assuage sentiments, Frattini said Sikhs were a highly respected community in Italy. The Italian side said they would accord "full consideration to the respect of cultural and religious beliefs and to their safeguards when related to minority communities like Sikhs''.

Italy has the second biggest Sikh population in Europe after UK. There are more than 70,000 Sikhs living and working in Italy. There are over 20 gurdwaras across the country, the oldest in Reggio Emilia in central Italy. Sikhs in Italy are largely engaged in agriculture and dairy and animal farming.

12. rock127

May be they thought they came to snatch another industry in Italy Dairy&Agriculture.

[​IMG]

The Sikh stamp on Italian cheese - Hindustan Times

House No 37 in Village Olmeneta, near Cremona area of Italy, quintessentially represents the Sikh contribution of keeping the Italian formaggio (cheese) and dairy industry alive. Not only this, its habitants Onkar Singh, Balveer Kaur and their family typify the struggle of Punjabis, particularly Sikhs, who landed in large numbers in Italy in the nineteen hundred and eighties during insurgency in Punjab and created a mini Punjab on Italian soil.

“My father is one of the earliest Sikh settlers in this area; he started working on the dairy farms in the early 1990s,” says 22-year-old Jaspinder Kaur, as we walk from the Olmeneta train station to her house, where I would spend two days to experience firsthand the Sikh stamp on the Italian dairy industry. “He came here as a young man, leaving his village, Pandori, in Hoshiarpur district, in search for a better life,” adds Jaspinder as she ushers me inside the house.

As the story goes, the Italian youth after getting educated did not want to pursue low-skilled jobs of milking and grazing the cows at dairy farms. Enter: Sikhs in search of greener pastures, as Punjab boiled, back in the 1980s and early 1990s. Taking full advantage of the asylum benefits offered by Italy, thousands of low-skilled workers from Punjab landed in this European haven, ready to do any job, as long as they could get their foothold in Italy. Well, so strong is the entrenchment that ask any Punjabi sitting in the local train where he works, catch me if he doesn’t say ‘Stalla’, meaning dairy farm. Believe me, it’s the only patch of land in the world where Italian is spoken in a Punjabi accent and cows understand only Punjabi. And of course, the maa di, bhen di version of it!

“I don’t know what the Sikhs tell my cows, but they (cows) behave very well,” laughs Alfredo Villa, a dairy farm owner, who has employed only Sikhs for the past two decades. “Jokes apart, Sikhs are one of the most honest and hardworking people I have met in my life,” he says. Italy is full of immigrant labour from all over the globe, but nothing beats the Sikhs. Other than human qualities, they are skilled to do jobs in agriculture and dairying and don’t take much vacation, something very crucial to the dairying industry, adds Alfredo.

Onkar Singh, who received me with open arms, narrates his journey as we eat dinner at his house. Pizzas roll out from the oven like chapattis and I gorge on them greedily, knowing fully well that this is not a household that believes in peg and tandoori chicken. A man of very soft demeanour, Onkar Singh says he had to do many temporary jobs, including working as a driver in a circus, before he could find a stable job here in the Lombardy region, which is known for its agriculture, dairying, beef and piggery.

“I finally found a job in a dairy farm in the early 1990s and I worked with the same owner for over a decade, living on the Stalla itself with my family,” says Onkar, whose job profile included milking of cows at 12.30 am, feeding them and milking them again in the evening — a routine which he still follows, except that he lives in his own house. Onkar Singh also drove me to his work place and showed me the dairy farm operations and the manner in which the cows were milked.

Next morning Jaspinder makes an effort and takes me to visit one of the largest cheese factories in the region. The factory, Latteria Sorseina (meaning dairy or store selling milk of Sorsenia region) produces cheeses such as the grano padano, parmigiana, reggiani, provolone and mozzarella. Jaspinder’s meticulous planning assures that we are received by the top management of the company, which lauds the contribution of the Sikhs to the dairy industry. “We certainly owe it to the Sikhs for keeping the business of cheese alive,” says the director general, Aldo Cavagnoli. The might of the Sikh contribution can be gauged from the fact that Latteria Sorsenia, which processes milk of approximately 43,000 cows from about 200 farms, has a mind boggling 89% of the immigrant work force and 54% of the total labour at these dairy farms comprises of Indians, majority being Sikhs.

On our return from the cheese factory, we head for other dairy farms, including the largest one in the Cremona area with 750 cows. Four Sikh families tend to this dairy farm. They are all related, a hallmark of the emigration pattern of the Sikhs in Italy. The oldest member, Dilbagh Singh of village Jandiran in Jalandhar district, has been working on the dairy since 1997. “It’s been a hard life,” he claims as he herds a bunch into the milking chambers.

“When I came here in 1991, I saw no future for myself in Punjab,” he adds. But today, the circumstances are different. If the youth put in this kind of labour back home in Punjab, I’m sure they can progress much more and contribute to the state’s economy,” he says. And as we head home, a resolute Onkar Singh tells me that his children will not do these low-skilled jobs. His daughter, Jaspinder, who has completed her graduation in international trade and now pursuing languages, is seeking newer opportunities. Gurminder, his 18-year-old son, besides his craze for driving guests (he just got his drivers licence), is pursuing a course in architecture. Salute to the spirit of the Sikhs, who even when in Rome, do it the Punjab way. The columnist is a Punjab-based author and journalist.

VIP, TrueSpirit and Blackwater like this.
  13. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Manjeet Singh GK is virulently anti-Congress, and belongs to SAD (Badal) group. The earlier Gurudwara President, Sarna, was a Congress lackey.
    Was Soniaji pulling strings ? :tinfoil3:

14. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

Frisk some Roman cardinals next time they come to India. :rofl:

15. Ray

I am glad you said so.

I agree. now that you have said so, it is but only a 'hat' as the Italians said it was!

I do not know why those in the Army made a song and dance over it!

Are you a Sikh?

The Sikhs That I know are rather strong in their views!

16. Ray

The Roman priests who visit India should be made to totally be nude for a check.

They could be part of the Mafia!