Remembering 9-11

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by sanjay, Sep 11, 2011.

1. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Do you all remember what you were doing on 9-11 when the planes struck the towers?

I was online, in an internet chatroom #politics from EFnet, on Internet Relay Chat using the handle sanman, when word came of the first plane hitting one of the towers. I immediately went to the news sites and began reading and watching live video feeds, while avidly discussing everything with fellow chatters in the chatroom, right while the events were unfolding before our very eyes..

So tonight, on the eve of the 10th anniversary, I decided to visit that chatroom again.to see if anyone there remembered me, or that event-filled discussion from 10 years ago:

Hah - they even kept a transcript of our chat from 10 years ago, which I'll post.

3. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

This is literally the transcript of our initial reactions as we learned of the 9-11 terror attacks 10 years ago:

http://www.ircpolitics.org/911-logs.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

continued from previous post:

A.V. likes this.
  5. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

Ah, the memories of that terrifying and awful day :(

A.V. likes this.
  6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I was in last year of my engineering, exams going on. Got a call from my friend saying planes have hit WTC. followed it up on the news. Yeah it was horrifying and suspicion was on OBL immediately.

7. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Wow, how did you know that it was OBL immediately?:p

8. Yusuf

WTC attack 1 in 1993, USS Cole. Attacks in Kenya and Tanzania, Saudi military base attack. Large and daring attacks all point at him.

9. Yusuf

The US was after him always. Bill Clinton missed him by a whisker in the Tomahawk strike. Thanks to the pukis. That's the strike from which they recovered tomahawks and reversed it to make Babur.

10. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    I was in Class 11 , reading some stuff i cannot remember! mom and dad were watching the Salman Khan movie "Suryavanshi", all of a sudden mom comes into the room telling me that someone has shot a missile into New York well that was the end of reading for me that day. Only when i watched the TV(BBC WORLD) did i find out that it wasn't missiles but aircraft that had hit New York.

11. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I was in my office and I thought that the news was a practical joke, till I saw it on TV at home!

But, while the WTC attack and the Holocaust are the two issues that grip the world, and newspapers around the world is cramped with memorabilia to include even today's Indian newspapers, I wonder why it does not evoke the same horror in Indian newspapers at least to remember the Mumbai carnage perpetuated by Pakistani terrorists and the other terrorists attacks. The simultaneous attacks on the trains in Bombay come to mind!

Maybe it is easier to copy and paste foreign news from the international wire services than writing up stories of the Indian horror accounts for the next day's new columns.

Dovah and johnee like this.
  12. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

deleted by the self

13. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

That transcript posted by Sanjay, what is interesting is how quickly the US knew it was Osama. How is that possible? When was it officially confirmed that Osama was the mastermind?

14. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Where were you on 9/11?

This thread is basically to say how you remember it and where were you when this happened and what you thought of it.

The Truth is, i felt no remorse over the attacks, i was surprised, trilled and happy, like watching an Hollywood Disaster Movie unveil. :rolleyes:

I first saw the glimpse of that attack on a small TV on the road side, i think it was a barber shop! I was actually happy that it happened that America the great ego manic had a bloody nose, i was thrilled that USA which looks down on us was shown its own fragility in this mortal world. I did not know the cost of human life's and i neither did care about it. Although i disliked Islamist fanatics, i was no fan of arrogance and the West either.

Back then I was in my teens and they put me in a collage in bangalore and everything was new, i had no TV no home comforts and i shared a room with a Sardarji boy but since i was a BRite since 1998, i was very aware of what was happening in the world even when all this knowledge that comes to us through the net was very limited back then.

Today looking back the whole Iraq thing looks meaningless and we all have seen the competence and incompetence of USA, its limitations to fight an grueling guerrilla war and sustain its popularity back home. It looks like US has not learnt much about Guerrilla war since the Vietnam days. Today the Libya conflict shows how you should have delta with Dictators by merely supporting the Anti-Government forces inside a Nation, which seems the best option. That system does not bruise Egos or hurt the self-respect of the people and also seems to give an sense of ownership and accomplishment to the rebels who win the war against the Dictators.

15. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Actually when I was watching those 2 planes hit the buildings successively, I too suspected his group. But I got the name wrong. I thought it was Al Badr, until the Anchor started taking a bout Al Qaeda. I also remember it was only 2 days after the Assasination of Ahmed shah Masood.

Btw I think 1993 WTC was done by a Harkat Ul Ansar guy.

16. Yusuf

Ramzi Yousef carried out the attack. Al Qaeda guy. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed planned it and funded it. Khalid is the guy critically involved in planning in execution of 9/11.

17. Yusuf

And yes Harkat was a group formed to fight against India in Kashmir. Nothing to do with terror against the US.

18. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

I remember taking my date to Lagaan that day. Later that day (night) there was news on TV that there was a terrorist attack in New York. A video clip of the planes ramming into the buildings spread on Realplayer.

That's about as much as I remember.

19. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

I might have been getting a spanking that day .I was a 14 year old pimply at that time

20. Shaitan

Shaitan Zandu balm all day Senior Member

I was in third grade, in class.. All of a sudden my teacher's assistant talks to my teacher(about what happened). My teacher starts crying like crazy, she brings in a TV and sets it in the class. We all watched what happened and I think we watched the second plane hit the tower. All of us(students) didn't comprehend what was going on.. Everyone else was crying.:(

21. Yusuf

What did you do with that date? Hope you remember that!!