'Remark' on burqa ban rocks college in Hyderabad

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Aug 29, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

'Remark' on burqa ban rocks college
    Saturday, 29 August 2009
    Print Email Pdf

Hyderabad, August 29: City police booked a suo motu case against unidentified persons on charges of unlawful assembly and rioting after a police constable sustained minor injuries due to stone pelting after trouble broke out at a college allegedly over wearing burqa, police said.

Trouble erupted in Muslim dominated Mehdipatnam after burqa-clad young girl students held a massive agitation outside Vani College on Friday morning after the college principal, Y Annapurna, allegedly asked students not to wear burqa to class and shut the college gates on them.

The agitation soon degenerated into a stone pelting session with male students fron neigbouring colleges and parents of the girls joining in. The situation came under control only after the police called in by the college management - resorted to a lathi charge.

The agitation came a day after a dharna by the students on Thursday protesting against what was termed by them as “the failure of the college management to react to the abduction of a girl student” from the institution earlier this week. The college management had looked the other way as they perceived that the girl had eloped with her boyfriend. In the event, the girl had returned by evening.

On Friday morning, the students charged that the principal had been berating them for wearing burqa for over a week saying that it did not comply with the uniform (salwar kameez) worn by other students. But the immediate trigger for the Friday trouble was the refusal of the principal to allow entry to late coming students, which soon degenerated into an argument about burqa, the month of Ramzaan and other matters like ‘promiscuity’ of girls.

“About 300 local youth joined the protesting girls and when police asked them to leave the place, some of them pelted stones at the police and college building,’’ deputy commissioner of police C Ravi Varma said. Eye witnesses said that male students of Gowtham Junior and Narayana Junior College who have their friends studying in Vani College joined in and started the bedlam.

“We were asked why are you wearing burqa when you are not particular about keeping our modesty. These comments are too much to bear,” a student from the college claimed. “The principal’s attitude irked us and hence we decided to take help from our parents,” a student of the college, Nadima Rahman told.

The principal, Annapurna, however, told, that she did not make any objectionable comment against the burqa. “The students were coming late for class and I had scolded them. They objected to this and staged a protest,” she said. The students, however, said that they were getting delayed because of the ongoing month of Ramzan and they had to offer Namaz before coming to college. They said, the college should not object to religious practices. “The college authorities blame us saying that we are spending more time in the mosque than with our books. This is objectionable,” a student said.

Analysts were amazed at the turn of events because the college has predominantly Muslims students. “I could understand such things happening in hardcore Hindu colleges and only with a few Muslim students. But not here,” said Salim Khan, a local resident. But an analyst - a Muslim who does not want to be named said that “girls are girls, Hindu or Muslim. Their aspirations will be the same. Young girls will want to mingle with young boys, whether they wear burqa or not. Obviously, the principal is unable to appreciate this. She wants to say why are you friends with boys when you wear a burqa? This is the genesis of the trouble,” he added.

-Agencies

'Remark' on burqa ban rocks college | Siasat

3. venkat

venkat Regular Member

Appears ppl have readied themselves for stone pelting!

4. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Yes there are lot of stones in and around Mehdipatnam area .

5. prahladh

prahladh Respected Member

The college is on the main road and there are very less stones that are capable of breaking that college windows in Mehdipatnam area. But who ever pelted and brought those stones were really pissed off.

6. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

for one person mistake,the whole group attacking properties,college and disturbing whole routine life is not acceptable.they should deal with concern person,if not police should put them behind bar for damaging public properties:2guns:

7. 1.44

1.44 Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009 Senior Member

Why do people naturally assume they have the right to damage government property during a riot.We are already struggling to beef up our infrastructure and these incidents do not help.People who damage public property should be put behind the bars.

8. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

In this case , Vani college is not Government property but a private institution and majority of its students are from minority community only .

There is really no need for anyone to damage public or private property , i agree with u that whoever damage public ,private should be punished . and it should start from the political parties

9. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Just dont joke .. Fly over is under construction there that place is full of stones,rocks and building materials .

10. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

More and more people are believing in mob justice which is definitely not a good sign for our society. The problem with mob justice is, its difficult to prove their culpability as there are too many people and its difficult to pinpoint the offenders and so they escape from the law. We need to increase awareness among people about ill effects of such activities. We need a major change in the way our society behaves. Our politicians reflect our society. No wonder unless people change, politicians won't change and our fates won't change.

11. prahladh

Flyover is over two junctions across. Let stop arguing over this B.S

12. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

13. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

I totally agree with u that mob culture has been increased but here first politicians should understand this because they are the ones who stop police to do its work and culprits are freed before any punishments .

Shiv Sena activists ransack magazine office in Mumbai
    PTI 31 August 2009, 10:54pm IST
    Shiv Sena activists ransack magazine office in Mumbai - Mumbai - City - NEWS - The Times of India

Disgruntled BSP activists damage vehicles
    http://www.ptinews.com/news/258258_Disgruntled-BSP-activists-damage-vehicles

14. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

WOW, just WOW

15. rubyjackass

rubyjackass Regular Member

:lol: This is really not a religious issue at all.(Do I need to say that at all)
    Look at the guys from nearby colleges joining in.:rofl: They are trying to be heroes before their girls.

16. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

hey whats the harm in showing of to the lassies mate :rofl:

17. prahladh

You have to take a left from the junction (mehdipatnam) shown at 1:06 in the video and you will arrive at one more junction (asif nagar), then take a right from this junction to arrive at the spot. Please try google maps or google earth. The flyover is imposible to construct in that galli where college is located. U are making this B.S

The point venkat was trying to make is that people already chose the way of protest. But you came up with some "Mehdipatnam stone theory" instead of understanding his pov.

18. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

If a student(or a group of students) come late to college, cant the teacher(or principal) scold? Just because this student(or group of students) have some religious ceremony to attend, doesnt mean the college treats them in a special way. The girls are making a mountain out of a mole hill. And the boys danced on the chance. I think it was the mistake of the girls, they should have either taken prior permission to come late or they should have completed their religious ceremony early and attended the college on time.

Recently, there was another incident of a girl refusing to take off her hijab in the class in Bangalore. Such incidents seem to be growing. Also, I have witnessed an increase in the number of burqa wearing women(in Hyd) in the last 5-7 yrs. These are the signs of growing radicalization of muslim community in India.

19. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

why go there even in kerala it is the same story blame it on KSA money coming to India

20. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

I hope the Govt has some way of determining who funds the local mosques/madrasas and imams. Otherwise, we will have a big problem. I think South-India is the new target of this radicalization.

21. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

shocking news and developments in south india:(( , johnee thanks for putting here